Hit a deer last night.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ken & Peggy, May 17, 2015.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We were driving home from our son's graduation from U of I when a deer ran into the truck. We were doing about 75 mph in the left lane when it came out of the median - NO time to react. Luckily it didn't get totally in front of us or it might have come through the windshield. Cars all around us, I managed to keep it in the lane and coast a bit before pulling over. My poor baby Tacoma... I can say that, luckily, because nobody got hurt, save the deer, which had to have died immediately.
    40+ years of driving, it's almost a little surprising it hadn't happened before now. Hopefully it won't happen again.

2. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ken and Peggy,

I am sorry that happened to you.
    What a way to end a wonderful day such as your son's graduation. Thank goodness you all are safe!

Deb

3. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Yep. It's an experience that cause you to need new underwear. Few years ago my husband hit a deer on Harlem avenue by one of the forest preserves in evening rush hour traffic going 50. Then one week and one day later, I hit a deer next to a forest preserve golf course. We had two cars in the repair shop for two weeks. Everyone was joking about things happening in "threes" so we warned both of our teens and family to be cautious. Funny thing though, a week and a day after my run in with the deer, Bob's boss hit a Deer! Have come close again, but haven't hit one again since then. Thank goodness! We feel your pain.
    Congrats about graduating your son. Our youngest graduated from UofI in Champaign with both his undergraduate and masters degree. Nice ceremony.

4. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Deb & Gina and Bob. Could have been worse, I like to say. The truck will get fixed.

Our son also started at U of I back in 1998, and got his MBA yesterday. Very nice (short) ceremony yesterday, followed by an excellent reception.

Gina and Bob, it sounds like you live (d) in the south suburbs, not far from us, on the city's south side. I just played George Dunne last week, which is the course I pictured from your tail of does - I mean tale of woes. Now THAT was some bad luck, 2 deer in a weeks time. Hopefully we're all done with our deer encounters...

5. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Did you at least get to keep the deer for venison steaks?

6. Ken & Peggy

Well, at 9:30 pm and in driving rain, with heavy interstate traffic, I had no interest. But it would have been nice to have that deer not simply lie next to the road.

7. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Interesting about GinaNbob's comment about it happening in 3's - as it usually seems to happen that way. Upnorth here we call those runner's - they come running in out of nowhere and you have no time react - normally they hit you - At least no one got hurt.

8. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Ken
    Bob and I moved to east central IL about 12 years ago from Oak Forest. Very familiar with most of the Chicago area. I grew up in Beverly. Bob used to work in Batavia and I commuted to Oak Park. My drive to Oak Park was about 20 miles and it took me over an hour. Now I drive 20 miles and it takes me 15 to 20 minutes depending how many farm implements I have to follow.
    We still see deer and really have to be careful during the rut and harvest time. We have even seen their tracks in our yard. Stay safe..
    Oh by the way, thanks for all your help last year about the kayaks. Bob just got a Jackson Big Rig yesterday and took it for a test ride in our pond. Now I have to find something for me. Just not so heavy as we do have to get them on top of the jeep Cherokee.
    Gina

9. birder526

birder526 Novice

Just glad to hear that you are both fine! What a scary experience.

10. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

GinaNbob - I put my kayaks on top of a Jeep for years - about 3 years ago I modified a trailer with a rack system so I could load them at waist level - much easier - of course that doesn't solve the problem of when you are taking them on a camping trip and have the TD to tow.

11. Ken & Peggy

Just under $5,000 damage... OUCH! Into the shop Tuesday, probably 2 weeks to repair. Prime camping time :(

12. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ken & Peggy,
    Hopefully, your auto insurance will cover a big portion of that cost.
    The deductible and inconvenience hurts, that's for sure. Again, glad you both weren't hurt.

Deb

13. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Ouch Hope the repairs don't slow down camping season to much.

14. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Holy ****, Ken. Deer strike in traffic - can't get much worse than that. Thank the stars you kept you head and controlled the car. You're all okay and that's what counts.

We live in a newish development that has pushed into the hills. We're surrounded by wildlife and have had many, many close calls with deer darting in front of the car. A dead deer lying along the roadway is a common sight, I'm sad to say. Scary stuff. So far, we've been lucky and hope to stay that way.

Stay sharp, stay safe.

Camp on

Sue

15. Ken & Peggy

Hi Sue. It does shake you up a bit, that's for sure. It's pretty much the same story here, with deer a common sight on the side of the road.

In fact, on the ride down to U of I that morning Peggy showed me a friend's Facebook post of a picture of a (live) deer in their back yard - in a city of Chicago neighborhood - surrounded by a 6 foot fence!

When you think about it it's amazing it didn't happen sooner, especially when you include all the rural/country driving done while camping...