Hitch colaspe

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by pat walsh, Jul 16, 2014.

1. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Somehow we did not have the hitch pin fully in and when preparing to leave the Timberlake campground in WA we had a full colaspe of the trailer. Luckly for me I had sturdy shoes on and only sustained a purple toe for a few days.

The couple who work at Timberlake were extremely kind. They got a hydrolic jack and lots of boards and gradually raised the hitch and we were good to go. Their kindness and no criticism of our trailer skills were really appreciated.

The next site we backed into we banged the bumper enough to bend the wheel crank on the trailer -- after a few whacks of a hammer it is back in use.

So none the use for wear we are happy campers.

2. birder526

birder526 Novice

Glad to hear all is well, not only the teardrop but your toe too! Good lessons to be learned here and elsewhere on the Forum, for when we get our trailer.

Best,
    Diane

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

OUCH!! I guess the way to look at that is 'it could have been MUCH worse!' Glad to hear everything worked out.

4. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

The previous owner of our 550 had a similar experience. She didn't have the pin in the slot. She said it fell on the nose in slow motion. Unfortunately the wheel slightly damaged the leading edge on the camper. Two nice guys raised the camper and she locked the pin in place. Guess we have a conversation piece now!

5. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member