Hitch Receiver Anti-Clunk

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by rotus8, Jan 6, 2016.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

The combination of a relatively light tongue weight of the Camp-Inn and the normal loose fit of the hitch ball mount in the receiver, there are annoying clunks coming from the rear of my tow vehicle when going over bumps or rough roads. I made a modification to eliminate the clunks.

The pictures show what I did. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the bottom of the receiver. I drilled a corresponding hole in the ball mount. The position of the holes is the furthest toward the front of the car that would still get a good purchase on the ball mount. I then welded a 1/2" fine thread nut (it's actually a lug nut I had) inside the ball mount. To assemble the whole thing, I install the ball mount in the receiver as normal with my locking hitch pin. I then thread a 1/2" fine pitch bolt through the hole in the bottom of the hitch, through the ball mount and into the nut, using a lock washer, and tighten.

The nut inside the ball mount doesn't really have to be welded in, you could put the bolt in and put the nut on from inside if the back of your receive is open. But tack welding it in place makes the bolt much easier to install.

Our desert outing between Christmas and New Years was about 2,000 miles and not one clunk.

[​IMG]
    Bolt in place in hitch

[​IMG]
    Hole in hitch

[​IMG]
    Nut welded inside ball mount

[​IMG]
    Bolt installed

2. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

This might be an alternative for someone without a big investment in tools. DakotaDave pointed out another CI owner at last year's CICO that had one of these. I love it, as it certainly quiets things down and it is simple to install:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5TA2QQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Mine is installed with the bottom of the U hook over the bottom lip of the hitch, with the two bolts pressing down on the ball mount to keep it from rattling. I opted for the nuts facing up, since gravity and vibration might cause a nut to come loose and get lost if pointed down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Here is the perfect solution. I have used it for the two years I have owned my trailer. "softride"

www.softride.com then click on quiteride. They are in Bellingham, wea 369 647-7420

Works absolutely perfect. I have recommended this to other and they love theirs.

Dave

4. rotus8

Thanks Steve and Dave for pointing out the alternatives. I have read about the hitch pin locking solutions and the Amazon reviews are pretty mixed. If mine proves a problem long term I will certainly check out these. I do have a tendency to go my own way... :grin:

5. Jan

Jan Newbie

6. Jan

Jan Newbie

7. rotus8

I actually moved on from my "solution" a long time ago. It turned out to be too fussy to install and I did have the bolt come loose on long tows. Instead I got a tightener similar to the one posted by @Jan, made by Hitch Tech. I got it for $13 from Amazon Amazon.com: Stainless Steel "Quiet-Collar" Hitch Tightener by HitchTech - Superior Lock Washers: Automotive. I found that putting the plate on the top of the hitch works best with my Rock Tamers, plus access to the nuts is much easier.
    Hitch.jpg

I have since replaced the nuts and lock washers with stainless nylon locking nuts. Lots of miles on it without problem.

8. SethB

SethB Ranger

Just ordered the Hitch Tech tightener, and upside down looks like the way to do it! Thanks Rotus8.

My yard debris / utility trailer does a lot of bouncing around when its empty, I think this will help there, too.

9. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  10. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I saw on anther forum that simply driving a small wooden wedge in between the receiver and the hitch stopped all movement and rattles.

11. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

That is what I was thinking of doing.

12. SethB

SethB Ranger

Hmm... I’m sure a good hardwood wedge could really help the rattles.

I’d be a little concerned about access to drive it back out if it did jam up in there. Punching out the hitch from under the car would certainly work, but, it’s under the car! I hate that stuff. Other brute force methods involving chain and another object or vehicle to anchor it onto would seem to involve some risk of steel flying through the air.

Am I missing something?

13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I'm not seeing that problem.

14. Mary & Mark

Mary & Mark Newbie

I used composite/plastic shims and while they were effective at stopping rattles they did take some under-car effort to remove. I bought one of the u-bolt hitch tighteners after seeing it on this forum and am anxious to give it a try.

Mark

15. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I guess the difficulty that might be encountered is not important to me because my TV is a dedicated car and I won't be taking if off.

16. SethB

SethB Ranger

Sure, if the ball is always mounted that wouldn't be much of a problem. Getting under the car once or twice a decade (if it's even needed) isn't so bad.

My situation is a little different. Since my TV is my daily driver, the ball might go on and off twice in some weeks.

17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I suspect not many have a dedicated TV like me. My last TV was not dedicated but I left the hitch on anyway. In your case I can understand why you wouldn't like my remedy.

18. Mary & Mark

Mary & Mark Newbie

I tried leaving the hitch ball in-place but after I and others bruised our shins while removing golf clubs, groceries, etc I adopted a practice of removing the hitch insert when not towing. I found the inconvenience of lying on the ground to insert and remove shims was well worth the effort to avoid the pain of smashing ones shin against a hard metal object.

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  19. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Mark & Mel likes this.
  20. rotus8

I got one of these:
    [​IMG]

This plus an old tennis ball, saves your shins and your pants from getting greasy too!