How far do you go...

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by PaigeJason, Nov 5, 2013.

1. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

We're still a few months off from picking up our 550, but I'm starting to think about our big Grand Canyon trip next spring. We've never towed anything before. For all you towing veterans out there, how many miles do you typically travel when you are breaking down and setting up somewhere new each day? Interstate vs. state highways and back roads? And do you travel under the speed limit on the interstates? As I start thinking about making plans and reservations, I want to make sure I'm being realistic about how far we can reasonably expect to go on our driving days. Thanks!

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The fact that are towing should make little or no difference in how far you can travel. In fact, the biggest danger that I've found when towing a teardrop, is in forgetting that it is there at all. I would just plan your drive times according to how you normally drive.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

This is kind of a case of, "to each their own." Some people prefer the interstate, others the back roads. We do a combo of both depending on the trip. For our Yellowstone/Teton trip we took I-84, and then connected with a series of other roads/highways/Interstates. I also travel with a just-turned-6-year-old, so the leisurely drive isn't usually in our best interest. Mama can only handle "how much longer" for between 6-8 hours a day, so I keep my driving to around that time frame unless we have to be somewhere. I also do most of the driving so I am only good for 8-9 hours max anyway (and just one day of that with a shorter day following, otherwise I am too exhausted).

As for traveling the speed limit or not, I would say use your best judgement based on how comfortable you are, road conditions, etc. Also keep in mind some states require any vehicle pulling a trailer to drive slower than regular traffic. California is a prime example and it is heavily sign posted (especially through the State of Jefferson and Nor Cal). They enforce that too (had that happen to my dad on a family vacation some years ago coming back from Lake Shasta). Mick tells me Oregon has the same law, but I have never seen it enforced and don't remember reading than the road code. I have always assumed the "truck limit" applies to the semis, not me with my little drop. Not sure if others have had trouble with that or not.

Congrats on your trailer. You will have to tell us all about your trip to the Grand Canyon. That is still on the list for us. One of these days we will get down there!

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, It's pretty much how comfortable you feel with it.

When I drove back to pick mine up, I hooked up and for the first 2-4 hours went slowly and kept looking in the rear view mirror to make sure it was still following me. The highway around there was pretty bad with almost a long wash-board surface from the big rigs,trucks etc.. so went under the limit and kept shouting, "Are you OK back there... heheh

By the time I was in ND or Wyoming? I was doing 85+ and told it to " Hang on, we'll get there...."

WA state has the law of anything towing a trailer of any size is stuck at 60mph.. like the trucks. I usually peg it at about 63-65 and seems to work OK unless I see the truckers slowing down, Radar?..

I beleive Cary told me that fuel efficiency is about at 63mph or so according to Craig... Dunno, never check mileage etc...

After the CICO loop, trip planning will be apx 400-500 max and done by5pm or so for trying to get somewhere. 2 day hard driving with 1 day stop... 8 hrs or so max... Used to be able to do a lot more, but can't, not worth it...

Hope that helps and the biggest lesson I learned from Jenn is that "McOffice (Mc Donalds) and KOA are good friends when lost... or straight driving through...

Todays trip to Moses Lake, I was planning on camping at a private campsite, Oasis RV Park and of course got a late start. Arrived at about 4:30, just starting to get dark and the site was a Dump... checked out another one real quick, but looked like a Member Only site.. so ended back over at Wanapum SP, closed, but the range said I could stay, so here I am... the point being, I was running outta sites and started thinking KOA... another 50 mi backwards...

And finally, I don't like setting up in the dark and plan my trips to arrive about 2-3 hrs before sunset... Makes life a little simpler...

Fun eh??

5. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I also have very little trailer towing experience and have been interested to hear of first experiences. It seems like people on the forum have adjusted quickly to towing. I am a little worried. My biggest fear is that I will get myself into a place that I can't get out of because I haven't learned to back up yet. My daughter is going with me to pick mine up in the spring and can give me some lessons.

6. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I know we’re just going to have to get out there and do it to find out what works for us. After we spend some quality time in the high school parking lot learning how to back her up!

I have driven a 13-hour day on my way to Dallas by myself with the kids with no problems. Our kids are pretty good travelers. I figure that with setting up and breaking down (we will still have a tent to contend with), we might get in eight road hours at the most.

The GC trip is one of several I want to fit in before my oldest leaves for college, sort of a “nuclear family bucket list.” My husband can only take off limited time from work, so I want to make sure I don’t over-schedule the trip. That wouldn’t be very fun! Jenn, thanks for the campground advice. Once I get through Thanksgiving I can get down to planning.

I don’t mind slowing down on the interstate! I’m someone who white-knuckles it when passing the big trucks, so the idea of letting everyone pass me in the right lane sounds pretty good.

On our last camping trip, to Brown County State Park (IN) Columbus Day weekend, we made it to our campsite with about 15 minutes of daylight left. Not fun setting up in the dark. At least for the GC trip we can look forward to more hours of daylight.

7. Maureen

Maureen Newbie

We usually plan no more than about 350 miles a day on the road. We then have plenty of time to stop along the way, allows for traffic and road construction delays and still arrive at our destination well before dark. . On the day we leave or arrive home, we sometimes go as far as 500 miles. We can leave earlier from home because we are all packed up and don't mind arriving home after dark.

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Backing up isn't that hard to learn. You can do it.
    Also, worst case scenario: You unhitch the trailer and push it out of the way, the back your tow vehicle up, and rehitch. The advantage of this method, is that you are guaranteed to have a crew of helpers appear out of nowhere, so you won't even have to push too hard to move the trailer around. :)

9. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

We usually drive 55 to 60 miles per hour and try to drive 375 to 450 miles per day at the end of the day we averaged 50 miles per hour. That includes stops for food,fuel and restroom breaks.

10. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We just cut short our week in the Red River Gorge by 4 days - our daughter who was just over 33 weeks pregnant was headed to the hospital leaking amniotic fluid. I saw this post and decided to figure our mph for the 450 mile trip home - 70 mph! I don't often go much above that speed, let alone AVERAGE it.
    All is well that ends well - she delivered Max, a 4#15oz beautiful baby this morning at 1:31 am. Baby and mom are doing very well; we spent the afternoon with them and dad today. I've got a few hundred pictures I'll be posting, and look forward to all your comments on EACH ONE! It's already been so much fun bein' a grampa...

11. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Evan, I appreciate the encouragement on learning to back up. I feel confident I will learn with enough practice, just not sure how many years it will take. lol

12. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

As I thought about our unbelievsble average speed for our trip home, I realized I did not factor the time zone change into it. So, we only averaged 60 mph NOT 70. :)

13. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Oh my gosh, Ken! How scary...and then how exciting! Congratulations on your teeny new grandbaby. I always feel like babies help you see the world through fresh eyes. Can't wait to see pictures!