How fast can I go towing?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by snakebitten, Sep 2, 2014.

1. snakebitten

snakebitten Newbie

I only ask because on my trip from Coastal Texas to California (to pick the 550 Ultra up) I traveled many many miles at speed limits of 75 & 80 (west Texas)

Be pulling with a Full Sized F150, so it's more a question of what the little trailer is rated for.
    Assuming it has appropriate tires and everything's in good shape.

I can take the truth. Not looking for justification for pushing it harder than design.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I think Cary will likely have to answer that. I know it has 14" wheels so that is good. Smaller wheels (12" and smaller) don't really do well speeds above 55. The faster you spin a smaller wheel, the more rotations it takes and the hotter the hubs can get. However, you also have stability issues at higher speeds, but trailer weight, tongue weight, etc. will all play into that.

I think the 550 has around 150 tongue weight and under 1K trailer weight so it should tow nicely at most legal highway speeds. But you also have that section on the 10 where speed limit is 80 as I recall. Not sure how the trailer might handle that speed. I know in California any vehicle towing a trailer is not allowed over 55 but that is not true in Texas.

3. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I think you will be OK at those speeds, but be very sure your wheel bearings are in good shape and well lubricated. Since you have a used trailer, and unless you can be sure it has been serviced recently, I suggest a wheel bearing and seal service before your next outing.

There have been reports of dramatic wheel bearing failures.

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Like a "Kite"... heheh

I've hit and maintained 85-89 at times, 85 in the open speed states, actually coming back from my pickup in WI and trips in NV, UTAH...

It handles fine, I didn't have any problems.
    Biggest problem is "gas"...

I have a 2010 Chev Colorado, 5 cylinders, 238hp?? I think and it handles fine. I don't have any problems hitting 85 or even ninety when passing...

I keep seeing those "Big Ole Eyes" staring at me in the rear view mirror.. so I know it's ok... heheh

as fast as you want... IMNSHO that is...

Might have everything checked, bearings etc as noted above, but in all honesty, I had mine checked and repacked after about 4 yrs and burned one out 2 trips later at 30mph, so you never know... but having them checked would be high on the list, just to be sure.

5. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

At least the wheel caught back up to them. I was thinking, wow, that's a long hike back to find the wheel. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Snakebit,

I think Jay and Ted (Rotus8) covered it real well, not much for me to say.

One thing though, check the bearings for excess end play occasionally. We say every 2000 miles in the newest owner's manual. Probably before every trip would be best. This does not have to be anything more than an aggressive shake of the top of the tires (anyone who has done orientation with me knows this one)to feel for the bearing end play. There should be some but not too much. Download the current owner's manual from our website, it gives a good procedure for doing this test.

Cary

8. snakebitten

snakebitten Newbie

Will do! Before I head to Texas.

And now that I have my own Camp-Inn, reading the owners manual will be enjoyable.

9. snakebitten

snakebitten Newbie

By the way, I know I have seen the link before, but now can't seem to find the online manual download. I'm getting so old.

Nevermind. Found your thread with the link!

10. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

The manual can be found at the top left of the forum page, too - under 'External Links' ;)

11. snakebitten

snakebitten Newbie

Well, now I feel a bit silly.

If I had just waited until I actually pulled this chariot for a few miles, I would have never even started this thread. :)

What an amazing camper. It pulls like a dream. A full sized tow vehicle is barely even taxed by it. Cost me about 1.5 mpg coming back home to Texas and much of that could have been the winds.

Regardless, the high speed limits found on the Western US interstates were of no consequence. I literally drove exactly the same as when I was not towing.

I'm a really really happy camper.

Tom & Diana P and Tour 931 like this.
  12. I've had mine up to 100 mph on Nevada highways passing the big rigs. Scary if it's windy because those trucks have trailers that weave a lot in the wind. That's why I try to pass them as quickly as possible. I pull with a 2017 Tacoma and keep the wheel bearings checked frequently. Usually travel at around 70 though just to be safe!

13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I like 55 mph. What is the hurry?

14. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We never exceed 65mph while towing.

15. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

I drive 60-65 on interstate highways. I also take back roads as often as possible to avoid those interstates so I can see the real USA and drive slower.

Conserving fuel/environmental impact and reaction time to avoid incidents is a concern for me. Might as well add bearings to that list, too. When I picked up Gypsy Wind near St. Louis there were literally dozens of dead deer along the interstate...freaked me out!!

AAA has a list of speed limits on their site.
    Trailer Speed Limits - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Tour 931 likes this.
  16. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

I Would not go more than 75mph, although you could go faster not even feeling that you are towing something.

17. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

We just keep up with what ever the other traffic is doing regardless of speed, staying mainly in the right lane unless we come across someone who isn't. Don't want to be a left lane lurker you know.:(

Mark & Mel likes this.
  18. Out West on the more open roads I hit 85-90 mph with no problems. Back here in the Southeast I try to maintain the speed limit or maybe about 5 mph under it. And at 75 mph in Amarillo, TX I dodged a gas grill flying out of the back of pickup truck and scattering all over the road as it broke into pieces. Luckily, I was in the middle lane with no one inside of me. So you can make evasive maneuvers in Subaru Outback while towing a 560 Ultra if you need to but I would not recommend it. ;)

19. In Oklahoma City, we hit a cooler lid. I had cars on either side of me then so avoiding. Car tire hit it into the Camp Inn breaking one of the side marker lights. We did not know it until we stopped for the night. Talked to Craig at Camp Inn and they overnighted the part to us in Santa Fe so we could fix it on the road. When people try to tell me they can buy a cheaper teardrop, I tell them this story about the great service we got from Craig and Cary. They are shocked that we got to deal with the owners/designers of the camper instead of customer service.

I am very leary of grills in the back of pickups, towing or not towing after that.

Mark & Mel, Tom & Diana P and Jenn like this.
  20. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

You did deal with customer service....at Camp-Inn they are one in the same:)