Water Tanks How Long Does The 8 Gallon Tank Last?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Jay & Valerie, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Hello,

I am considering getting a CI trailer and wanted to know from owners how long the water tank lasts for you?

I will be doing a lot of primitive area camping (ride dirt bikes) where no water or electricity is available. Less concerned on power because I am sure I can figure out how to add a 2nd battery. But water is a different story...so, how long does that water last for you and can you refill it without a hose if you are in the wilderness and bring an extra couple of water jugs with you?

Is there an option to get a bigger water tank?

2. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

We carry a 5 gal, fresh water container along...just in case. Jim, my boy scout in disguise, uses a 12 oz. individual water bottle with the base cut off as a funnel. Works real good, too.

Never hurts to carry extra water.

Sue and Jim

RollingRob likes this.
  3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I carry regular faucet water in the 8-gal tanks and use it for cleaning for "Other Stuff"...

I carry the 5-gal fresh water that I fill up at the market machines. I got 3 of them and just rotate them out. It's clean and tastes good for coffee and drinking.

If traveling on the road stopping at "Sleep & Go's" aka KOAs I fill up a 2-gallon bottle and just keep it in the sink while traveling so i don't have to lug out the 5-gal ones.

It works for me... and am happy with it... I use the little blue Manual, not battery, pumps for the 5-gal.. you can see it in most of the pictures...

For a $1.75 for 5-gal it's easy, nice tasting and it's clean...

HTH...

5. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

The thing I do that's kinda handy is I fill up several plastic orange juice containers with my home water (spring water from the Blue Ridge Mountains, yummy) and I freeze them. Those go in my two coolers. I had ice still in them for over a week. When they thaw….drink it.

We use our 8 gallon tank for washing dishes and stuff but I don't drink it. Not that I wouldn't, but I prefer other water. We also have decide to not let food scraps and stuff into the grey water tank. I don't want to have to clean it or smell it.

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hello,

Depends upon how many day/nights and amount of campers at site.
    One person: if used for dish washing only, lasts about 4 days.
    If used for drinking, maybe 2 days.

Two or more people:
    Dish washing: maybe 2 to 3 days
    Drinking and dish washing: 2 days

The taste of campground water determines if I use for drinking and or washing.

Jean

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Eight gallons lasts 3 days for us...unless we conserve. There have been folks who bypassed the drain in the sink, dumping out of the camper and catching the grey water, then joined the fresh together....of course this is a decision that must be made before you put any grey water in that tank :)

8. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Thanks...I have considered combining both tanks but I understand there are state/national park rules on gray tank stuff.

This seems a bit odd because what about tent campers? They don't have a gray tank but generate gray water too. What about other teardrops that only have fresh water tanks and no gray tank at all? Are they not allowed in the park?

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

JavaJack,

I think "Don't Ask / Don't Tell" would work just fine. In over four years no park ranger (or anybody else) has ever asked about my gray water situation.

I doubt that would have been any different if I had opted to connect my tanks.

10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We were at a state park recently, and had a popup next to us....it sounded like a Cow on a flat rock next to us.....that really bothered me. He probably dumped 20 gallons doing dishes. But, if he had dropped a tube out of his discharge, and put a nylon stocking on the end to catch anything big it wouldn't bother me at all. First I wouldn't have even known it. Second...seriously, it's mostly just water....and I use soap on my lawn before it rains to help break the surface tension so the rain will get into the packed clay soil easier. Done it for years, hasn't hurt my lawn or other plants at all.

Like Evan said, DADT., and play nice. This guy was definitely not.

If it were me, on my own land, I would probably pull a hose from the waste to get the discharge away from my camp site. We don't have bears to contend with, but raccoons we do. The odors could act as bait...also, the mud at the gally is really nasty to step in....I've accidentally left our waste tank open and flooded us not once or twice, I thought my bride was going to kill me,

RollingRob likes this.
  11. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have found that about one gallon per person per day works. I do use paper plates so don't have to wash them but do wash everything else. Wipe everything with a paper towel first.

RollingRob likes this.