SUV Off-Road How Much Is It Worth

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by James Scott, Apr 29, 2017.

1. James Scott

James Scott Newbie

I was wondering what y'all's thoughts are I see a used camping trailer for $19,000 or so that is not an SUV package but has close to everything else I want, that is, except for the SUV package, if I buy the trailer new then I will be paying close to 23,000 to 24,000 to get everything including the SUV package. How necessary is it and is it worth $4000-$5000, does a non-SUV package still tow well and look good behind an SUV like a suburban? Please advise James

2. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I won't comment on the aesthetic issue.

A practical consideration is that if, like me, you are around 6 feet tall, you will want the SUV package to avoid repeatedly banging your head on the galley hatch. If you are over 6 feet tall, you are pretty much doomed. Then you need to ask yourself how often you want to be stooping over and cooking a meal, regardless of which option you choose.

Six feet is not an absolute height for the galley hatch, because the ground at most camp sites is rarely even. At times I have loads of headroom and at other times the ground behind the camper is higher than where the wheels are and I bang my head on occasion. And keep in mind that most RV stores sell simple Lego-like devices for getting the wheels higher above the ground. If you have a height surplus, those might help that situation.

3. James Scott

James Scott Newbie

Ok great advise I am 5'9", may not have the height issue but I do need to consider resellers, wow, so many options so many things to ponder thanks for your help and quick response James

4. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Our 560 is not a SUV package but is adjusted a couple of inches higher than standard; it suits us fine, towed behind an Xterra off-road. You can adjust the trailing arms of the suspension a limited amount, you can probably get a couple of inches. If you do this after the trailer is built (ours was done at the factory) the wheels will look a little high in the fenders but should tow just fine. Whether you adjust or not, you will need a drop hitch of the appropriate dimension to tow approximately level. They are easily available, you just need to get the right one.

Duke's likes this.
  5. James Scott

James Scott Newbie

Great - thanks for your help!!!!!

6. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Worth every penny