CA State Park Humboldt Redwoods SP (Myers Flat)

Discussion in 'West' started by Mick'nSarah, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hidden Springs and Burlington Campgrounds

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=425

Humboldt Redwoods State Park is pretty amazing, and we didn't spend nearly enough time here. Only 1 night. We will be coming back here for sure. There is so much to explore, and we didn't get much of it done. I blame google maps, but really, time was crunched with places we needed to be.

We started off with reservations at Hidden Springs. The campground is really beautiful, but somehow I chose one of 3 spots on the springs. As soon as I got out of the car, I was swarmed by mosquitos (those little buggers sure like me, a whole lot more than I like them). The other issue I had with the place was that it was very hilly, which normally wouldn't bother me too much, as the spots were flat. The issue lies in that laddy rides a balance bike, with no brakes, and I am not sure I would be able to catch him before he hit the highway or the river. As that is his main source of entertainment, I thought we should go. I would stay here though, if he had brakes and in another spot. For reference, we were in spot 84. 84, 86 & 145 are all on the spring I was told. Other spots shouldn't have as much trouble. This is the largest campground out of the bunch. There are showers here, as well as flushies. A good majority of the campground was closed while we were there, due to lack of folks in June.

[will post a picture here later]

In my attempt to follow google map's directions to Hidden Springs, we came across the Burlingtington Campground, which is right next to the Visitor's center. This is a much flatter campground and I saw only 2 mozzies, which didn't bother me. We asked the nice lady at the office if she would accommodate a difficult camper (me) and let us switch our reservation to her campground. With the lack of people (school hadn't gotten out yet), she didn't have a problem with it. We went back to Hidden Springs and picked Dottie up and dropped anchor in Burlington. We had space number 9.

[​IMG]
    Spot number 9, surrounded by Redwood stumps bigger than Dottie

The other thing about this campground, it has some of the best natural play structures I have seen. After crying for nearly a half hour that we weren't staying at the RV park with the big play structure (needed to dump my grey water, otherwise he would never have known about it!), laddy spent the 2 hours after our arrival playing in this redwood stump. I only got him down for dinner, and he as happy as a clam up there. Pretty sure he had more fun in that stump, than he would have at the play structure!

[​IMG]

We spent a good deal of time at the Visitors Center. At first it was full of kids on a field trip (and I can see why they bring them here, there is so much to learn about). You can make animal track in sand, there are lots of taxidermied animals and pelts to see and feel, there is lots of information about the big flood that happened, the precursor to our teardrops is there, in a 1920's motor home made from a single redwood, and laddy's favorite thing, the microscope, allowed him to look at lots of things close up!

[​IMG]
    At the visitor's center

The visitor's center also had some of the most knowledgable folks we have come across. These people really know their park, and are considered "lifers", which in this case, is a good thing. They were able to tell me all about the best hikes for kids, and what I shouldn't miss. Sadly, I missed a lot of it, but will know better for next time!

Other activities in the area are lots of hiking, swimming in the river, driving through the Shrine Drive-thru Tree, or taking a drive where you can see some of the very largest trees in the world along the Avenue of the Giants.

[​IMG]
    The Shrine Drive Thru Tree...we walked thru instead

One cool thing at the Shrine Drive Thru tree, are these little houses, carved out of Redwood stumps. Kids love them!

[​IMG]
    Pretty cool, 2 story tree house, with steps, a pantry, and a library carved into the walls

It is a very cool place, and thanks to the Rockafellers, there is a lot of untouched landscape. The trees and undergrowth are as they have been for thousands of years. You will definitely want to spend a couple of days here, at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Glad you enjoyed Humbolt Redwood SP. Sue and I have been tent camping at Hidden Springs for 30+ years. Always something new to see. The trails are endless and the giant trees are a wonder. Our kids and granddaughter enjoyed the Junior Ranger Program and the almost nightly "Camp Fire" with the Ranger. This year will be our first year going with our CI and will be at IRG4.0, but we will be sure to stop along the way and visit some of our favorite spots.

Jim and Sue