Hwy 101, Washington State

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Tour 931, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Our coast adventure is officially underway.
    DSCN6507.JPG
    We headed south out of Woodinville about 9 am on Sunday.

We only had to drive about 120 miles to our first planned night spot so we made a lot of stops along the way. First stop was the Capital Building in Olympia, then lunch at Taylors, our favorite geoduck stop in Shelton, WA, and a walk through downtown Shelton. Most of the antique stores were closed but the main store was open. We parked on main street. We later went for a walk in the mist.
    Sunday DSCN6422.JPG DSCN6431.JPG DSCN6448.JPG DSCN6474.JPG
    It rained most of the night and in the morning we crawled out of bed and drove north. A stop for coffee in our pj's must have looked strange. After an hour the sun came out and we stopped to get dressed and air out the camper. After that we were fit for human contact and made more stops.
    DSCN6516.JPG DSCN6538.JPG DSCN6569.JPG Monday
    DSCN6855.JPG DSCN6996.JPG DSCN6980.JPG DSCN6968.JPG DSCN6932.JPG
    We arrive at Fort Worden State Park and walk the park. It is a blend of 1907 houses that are kept in shape and of the same era coastal artillery that hasn't been used since WWII.
    DSCN6621.JPG DSCN6684.JPG DSCN6689.JPG DSCN6677.JPG

Monday evening we enjoyed a hearty homemade split pea soup with meatballs.
    DSCN7041.JPG
    On Tuesday we take the 9:30 am ferry over to visit Bear. It's been a long day.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Mike_Kathi likes this.
  2. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Looks like you put a bigger propane tank on there. Nice pics!

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Thanks Bear, we enjoyed meeting you also. You have the life that many of us envy and still young enough to enjoy it. I had envisioned you older but find out you are still a young man.

The Stagecoach is a grand old camper and customized to reflect your life. I can't imagine pulling a trailer to the moon. Your idea of mounting a teardrop on a pickup is one I have also had. We passed a popup truck camper on our way to Langley. It was mounted on an older Ranger pickup and overall was very small. Barely larger than your 550 but it did have room to stand up when popped up. Park of my enjoyment of a teardrop is how maneuverable they are in congested areas and for you how they pull off-road. That pop-up on a small pickup would meet both of our needs in that regard.

Thank you for your 22 years of military service or as you say your entire life having grown up in the Air Force. I hope our paths cross again.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

DSCN7047.JPG DSCN7049.JPG DSCN7071.JPG
    DSCN7078.JPG DSCN7082.JPG DSCN7090.JPG

Tom & Diana P and Randy like this.
  4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Thanks Jenn, its been a fun but wet trip so far.

5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

WA 113 to Neah Bay
    DSCN7125.JPG DSCN7132.JPG DSCN7162.JPG
    Pictures from yesterday as we drove along the coast to Neah Bay, WA We didn't get into our Pacific Beach State Park spot until way past dark.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Pacific Beach State Park
    DSCN7200.JPG
    I rained all night and a lot of the sites had standing water. The site we reserved had four inches of water everywhere so we took a higher site.

7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

We have been back for a day and a half. We finished the trip at Cape Disappointment which had no internet service.

It rained every day of the eight day seven night trip which covered 944 miles.
    DSCN7194.JPG DSCN7268.JPG

Miss Evelyn wanted to walk down to the shore so bad. We picked our way through a lot of standing water but finally made it..
    DSCN7295.JPG DSCN7309.JPG DSCN7496.JPG

Our last night and departing cup of coffee.
    DSCN7513.JPG DSCN7538.JPG

We learned a lot about the Camper-Inn and each other. I'll write a more detailed after camping report later.

Jenn and Evan like this.
  8. SethB

SethB Ranger

This was the shakedown trip, yes?

Kudos for making it out mid-winter in our NW drizzle/rain! I’ll bet there were some beautiful moments! Technically, I think we had a winter storm over part of your trip?

Did you feel warm, dry, cozy in your new camper? Use the furnace much?

9. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

We felt very warm and dry using an electric heater most of the time. We had a few shakedown nights camped in the garage so this was our maiden voyage. Yes we got some of the tail end of the storm. The roads were washed out in places and had standing water.

10. SethB

SethB Ranger

I’m not sure if people outside the PNW understand the winter weather here... where “storm watching” is a recognized and valued activity when traveling the coast!

11. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Some of the locals reported thirty foot swells in the open.

12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Thanks Bear, we get along great not just in the trailer but in everything we do.