Instant Camp Bread

Discussion in 'Breads' started by Oysterpot, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

12oz Beer, any variety except non-alcohol (keep the bottle or can hidden)
    2 Tbsp something really sweet (sugar, honey, fruit juice concentrate, etc.)
    3 cups Self-Rising Flour

Mix the ingredients together and pour the batter into a lightly greased, pre-heated 8? Dutch oven.

Heap it with coals -- keep an eye on them and replace or replenish the coals as necessary (you want it to bake at about 400 degrees).

Soon, the air will be filled with the scent of fresh-baked bread, people will stop by to ask what you're baking, and after 50 minutes your bread will be done to perfection.

The recipe makes one loaf of bread suitable for 2-3 people.

If you plan to use a larger Dutch oven and/or want more servings, adjust the ingredients proportionately.

This bread tastes great fresh from the oven or cold. It will be a rather dense bread with a texture more like muffins or corn bread -- which is actually more period-correct.

I highly recommend using an Irish Stout (like Guinness or Murphy's) for the beer and clover honey as your sweetener

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

That is very interesting. I had to ask my wife if it was truly possible to make bread with only three ingredients. So, I guess the beer provides the water and the yeast... :)

Thanks, George!

3. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Evan, it's entirely possible! I've made this in my oven at home in a reg. bread loaf pan - it's also known as Bachelor Bread. My father in law made it after he became widowed until he remarried a Baptist lady who wouldn't HEAR of having beer in her house! : ) It's very good too - any beer will do the trick.

4. Oysterpot

The darker and more bitter the beer, the more bitter the bread tastes. Good with a stew.

5. Oysterpot

Made this tonight, turned out pretty good. Used 8" DO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

This is cruel and unusual punisment! I'm on low carbs for diabetes and I'd eat the whole loaf! Looks great! My congratulations on a job well done!

7. Oysterpot

I am type II as well, just have to be moderate. Which I am not by the way. I just figure what the heck!

8. BobB

BobB Novice

George,
    Thanks so much for sharing all of these recipes! I look forward to giving them a try, especially the beer bread.

-Bob

9. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Well, Bill felt "What the Heck" until he lost his vision due to diabetic retinopathy (bleeding in the eyes that clouded his vision.) It's better now - long story. But he was told 2 wks. ago that if he didn't get the sugar under control that he'd be on dialysis (that AIN'T happening...) We'd have to give up traveling and any dreams of camping...better watch those carbs brother - 60 per meal and 15-30 per snack (3 snacks allowed). Just try to help - hope it didn't come across "preachy".

10. Oysterpot

Not to get into my health and or lack of, my sugar is just over the line high. A little excersise would probably bring it down, but I am lazy! I am on meds, which seem to have leveled the sugar, but I love eating!

nuff said.

11. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Yeah, I hear ya! Exercise is my enemy but I'm fixin' to "Love my enemy!" Now that the snow is all gone and it's warming up walking here I come!

12. Evan

That's one of the reasons the camp-inn's are so light - you can move them around without a vehicle. A couple miles of that and you'll be in good shape... :)

13. Evan

Just told my wife that this will be the first recipe we try on our new 12" DO.

14. Oysterpot

Are you familiar with the Dimwiddie method of charcoal placement? If you use it, you will be less likely to burn your food. Follow the guides for charcoal quantities for cooking temps. PM me if you need some coaching :D :D

15. starlight

starlight Novice

Might be a silly question, George, but if we are making dishes at home then we just use the oven equivalent of 400 degrees--correct? What temperature do you recommend for pre-heating the dutch oven?

16. Oysterpot

Consider the DO as you would your home oven. If I am doing breads, and I indeed preheat my DO, I only put coals on the lid for the preheat. Once the dough is in the oven, the coals will be distributed to the top and bottom. in what amounts to a 2 to 1 ratio top to bottom, with no more than 1 ring being on the bottom.