Internet access while traveling?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Cosmo, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

I am looking for information on Internet access solutions while on the road. Something I can turn on for a month or two and then turn off without an long contract.

I know about searching for WIFI hotspots at donut stores etc, and turning a smart phone into a WIFI hotspot (I am using a dumb phone so that is out of scope for me for now).

Recently a neighbor at a campground let me use the connection on their Verizon “Jetpack” mobile hotspot. The Jetpack is a $40 device I can buy and purchase internet data megabytes to use it. Speed was good!. Apparently you I can buy the device for about $40 and then purchase megabytes and activate it when I need it – such as for a road trip and then deactivate it when the trip is over without a monthly subscription. The jetpack allows several devices to be connected (laptop, tablet etc.).

Are there any other solutions I should consider or experience you can share?

Thanks for your help
    Cosmo

2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

I use a Verizon Jetpack for work and it's great. You have to be very careful not to exceed your allotted data. One you tube video, downloading pictures, or using Facebook can get you in trouble fast. The Jetpack seems to work anywhere my Verizon phone works (which is a lot of places, but not everywhere).

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I use the Verizon Jetpack, but it wasn't $40...

free with a 2yr contract
    $200 to go month to month
    $50mo for 5 gig of data

Which can get used up quickly with movies etc...

Verizon, in my experience, has the best "Out there Coverage".
    I tried Sprint several years ago, unlimited, 50gig, data but won't connect much out of city.

I tried another one, 'fergit' which, so ended up with Verizon.

But Verizon seems to have the best "Coverage Area" but not perfect.

A Verizon phone can create a "hot spot" you can tap into with other devices if need be..

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

I was able to get my tablet to use the data connection on my work Android phone. I can connect the tablet to the phone configuring the phone as a WIFI hotspot or using blue tooth tethering. Both methods allow the tablet and other devices to share the phones data connection.

I decided to buy a $35 Verizon Jetpack device - pay as you go plan. I can use that as another option. The Jetpack can accept accessories like an external antenna etc. to help improve poor coverage areas. The plan quoted was $60 for 3 gig which expires in 30 days. That's fine for data but will not allow much video streaming (which is fine, I need the data).

I will talk to Verizon about coverage for the Jetpack in Canada and see if that costs an arm or an arm and a leg when I cross into Canada on future trips.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    Cosmo

5. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

You could always use the Jenn Method, ie: the local MacDonald's or Starbucks. Just don't get tossed out.

For an explanation on that line, ask Jenn.

Hi, Jenn

Sue

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

McD's and coffee shops and other free wifi spots  are an option. But then I would be leaving nature to go sit in a McDonalds (which I would do if I dont have other options).

So far the Straight Talk Mobil Hotspot is looking like the best option for me as far as cost/coverage goes.

Verizon ffers 250 meg that expires in a month for $15 but requires an annual subscription. You can let the month to month laps but when you want to reconnect they will charge you $35 reconnect fee. Thanks but no thanks. Verizon is so pushy - I feel like I need to take a shower after talking with Verizon.

Straight talk offers 1 gig that expires n a month for $15.
    Similar ration as you move  to higher cost plan options.

I spoke to Straight Talk and they claim they are on the Verizon network and the coverage is the same as Verizon. I have read the speed is reduced a little on the Straight Talk system.

Straight talk offers 2 models of Hotspots.In case one is more desireable in the areas you travel.

The ZTE 288L which accesses Verizon network
    And the ZTE 289L which accesses the AT&T network

With Internet coverage I can earn spare income while camping and traveling and enoy all the information access. 

On vacation a few weeks ago, a neighbor in the campground was camping from June 1 to Aug 31. They were running their businees from the campsite using a Verizon Jetpack for the computer and  cell phones.  After work they were enjoying camping and Tanglewood music concerts. They were thinking outside the cubicle!

Cosmo

7. Jim and Sue L.

Mayhem? Moi? Are you suggesting, Jenn, oh dearest friend of mine, that I would hijack a thread and cork-screw it into something completely different and utterly superfluous merely for a fleeting moment of twisted play? I am shocked, SHOCKED I say!

Besides, mayhem technically involves bizarre physical damage, above and beyond the call of weirdness and usually includes snipping very important parts off... Never mind.

What was the original subject?

Sue

8. Jim and Sue L.

Oh yeah, internet access. I don't know a thing about it - that's Jim's world. I'm the color.

Sue

9. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sue, you are my first laugh of the day. Thanks!

10. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

I know you have a "dumb" phone but wanted to share what works for us. I am on Verizon and Peg on AT&T. We have found that in the last 20,000 miles of traveling that AT&T has the best coverage away from the cities where we spend most of out time. In the car we are constantly usng our AllStays app to find camping spots and Google maps for navigation. We have recently added a ipad to our navigation aids. Larger screen, aging eyes. lol We don't want to go into a town for wifi so we are temporally upping our data allowance and using whichever phone gets the best signal as a hotspot. Just something to think about for the future.