iPhone, iPad etc Apps - What do you use

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by ghaynes, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Thought I would ask what apps others are using on their Apple and other devices. Not limited to just camping but also other tools.

Here's my current list:
    1. Gaia GPS. Great 'free' topo maps. You can download maps for offline use. Use this all the time on my photo treks. It does mark campgrounds, but user beware as you found out but generally accurate.
    2. Woodalls - 2 apps
    Woodall's RV& Camping - This one is primarily for the iPhone but works on the iPad. Need to be connected to the internet. Also show's Campingworld store locations.
    Woodall's Campground Directory - This one costs $1.99 for the base version for a region and then $.99 for additional states. It is offline once downloaded. Basically a scanned version the Woodall's kill a tree 20 lb. print version.
    3. RadarScope - great app for tracking severe weather
    4. TWC - iPad The Weather Channel
    5. Intellicast HD - another weather app Good for longer range forecasts

If you are into photography I find these apps invaluable for knowing when and where to shoot and capturing location information.
    1. TPE - The Photographers Ephemeris Used to know where the sun and moon will be in the sky. Example, you want to capture a full moon behind or next to a church steeple. TPE will tell the bearing so that you can determine a location to be lined up for the shot.
    2. Light Meter - yes it is a light meter app but I use it to capture a snapshot of the scene I am shooting since it also capture GPS coordinates at the same time.

And lastly I use Spot Connect. This is a hockey puck sized GPS device that is accessed either through the iPhone or iPad app. This is a version of the SpotMessenger. It tracks where you are located, can send short email messages to a predefined list of email addresses and also has an SOS button. Since I am usually way off grid without cell phone coverage it gives a great deal of peace of mind to my wife.

2. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Gary,
    Great list!
    I am certain to check out Spot Connect. I have seen some reviewers complain that it is complex to setup. Have you had any problems in setting up?
    Thanks
    Ken in Louisville

3. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

No issues setting it up or using it. You do have to be online to setup your email distribution list and you store up to 14 'canned' messages. I would store mine in anticipation of where I would be including one that just said 'photo'. Then when I was done for the day and back in cell coverage I would change any messages. The one for photo was so I could send a map spot back for marking where I was taking images.

Had no problem with reception or coverage even in the back mountains of Colorado. I too was skeptical but it's a keeper.

FYI they are having a $50 off coupon deal starting Nov 18 thru the end of the year.

4. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

We use both Woodall's and the Trailer Life Directory (Good Sam Club)in the hard copies but while camping in Oregon we were shown an App called AllStays Camp & RV which we went on to buy. Not cheap for an App, something like $6.99 but it works with or without WiFi ("with" is better of course but it has text directions for when off-line). If on-line it locates you on the map. We love it. It uses what I believe is the Google Earth world map which you zoom in and out on and it lists seemingly everything with various labled "stick pins". All the parks, campgrounds (public and private), Walmarts (both "ask to camp" and "no camping"), rest stops, truck stops, supplies (Costco, Cabela's, etc.), RV repair shops, the list goes on and on. Both Canada and the US are covered (including Hawaii Evan). Now I have no way of comparing the various paper directories to the coverage of the App but in all our "sample testing" while travel camping it always had everything we could find in the books plus a whole lot more.

I am going to start a separate "thread" on WiFi in the tow vehicle so as not to divert this one on Apps.
    Jim & Mary Anne

5. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

I to found the Allstays Camp & RV app after I did my original post. Also very cool and agree it seems to be pretty complete. Noticed that there aren't many comments out in my part of the country, maybe different where you are. Also like the markings for all of the places you mentioned. Between that and the Woodalls, printed or electronic, isn't technology wonderful.

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

thanks for the suggestions. just got a new ipad and added Allstays Rv and camp look good.

7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Anyone know of an Android app for identifying trees & wildflowers? Ideally it would be free...

8. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Not for flowers (but I am interested if someone has). I just downloaded one for star gazing that was free and came with very good reviews (although it was for the iPhone).

9. Ken & Peggy

Sarah, I've had Google Sky Map for a while now and it's very cool - pretty amazing how it works...

10. JB

JB Novice

Don't know about Android but LeafsnapHD I hear is good for identifying plants and GoSkyWatch is fantastic for star gazing. Both are perfect apps for iPads, neither are free but a lot of bang for your bucks, especially GoSkyWatch.

J&B

11. Ken & Peggy

That Leafsnap looks great! Get an ID by taking a picture - very cool. Maybe an Android version will be developed soon.

12. Mick'nSarah

Cool! I will have to check both of those out! Even if it cost a little, I am game if it helps me learn so I can teach the lad. Thanks!

13. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

I have star walk - love it. Lots of cool information.
    I also have the Audubon: birds, flowers and Nortwest area. these are all ipod or ipad.

My new favorite for weather is Intellicast HD. this morning the sky seemed a bit dark and it started to hail (oh my gosh there goes all my 40 different kinds of Hosta they are going to get creamed) so checked Intellicast and the hail cell was so small I realized it was going to be very brief and indeed it was -- no damage.

We always play cribbage on vacation but I keep forgetting the way to count I found the app Cribbage and I am boning up preparing for vacation.

14. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Gary we used Intelecast all the time while on our trip out west and now at home. We like being able to see the cloud banks and wind direction especially when storms are approaching - know how soon we have to coup the dog up to avoid the crazies.

15. jimmymack

jimmymack Newbie

I use an IPad app called RoadAhead. You can enter a highway number and state and it tells you what is available at the next exit in terms of food, gas, lodging and other services. I use a 3G enabled IPad, so its possible to check as we go down the road. The traffic feature on google maps has saved us from being stuck in traffic jams on numerous occasions. A lot of times there will be a road parallel to an interstate, so you can exit and take the other road until you see that the thick red line that indicates a traffic jam has subsided, then get back on at the next exit.

16. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

GPS Drive - for navigation.

Cyclometer - For riding bike trails. Has a lot of nice features including GPS location tracking route traveled, average speed, ride time, distance traveled, ascent, elevation, etc.

Magic Jack - You can make calls when you can connect to WiFi but you have no cell coverage.

17. Mick'nSarah

I just found www.roadtrippers.com. They also have an app, but it isn't fully functional yet, so I am using safari for planning. It is a neat idea. Plan your route and it will give you all sorts of info for thing along the way. Sight seeing, activities, attractions, food, lodging, etc. Just started to us it to plan for next year, so we'll see what it does.

18. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Geesh... where to start...
    Android, Verizon Galx 3, Nexus 10 and Laptop with dongle modem router, 2gigs, and I still get lost.

Tried various aps, All Stays/RV AAA, road trippers, gas buddies etc.. too many, get lost.

Home and trip planning I flip back and forth from MS Steets, to Google (preferred) to AAA and now to The Garmin BaseCamp. I use Garmin in the car, but can't rely on it, so need to do it the old fashion way, paper maps from AAA.

The problem is that each one does have good info, but to move it around to use it, is frustrating ex:

Google:
    Initially used Google, Clean, simple easy to work with. for some reason, won't combine page 1 with page 2. Won't work with Garmin, too many Way-points. Have to enter them in manually.

MS Streets & whatevers:
    Moved to MS Streets, great, put in max driving times, speeds etc but can't move to the Garmin for car.

Garmin:
    Only input from a computer is their Base Camp, working on that, initially had it for Mt Biking, but apparently does Auto too.
    Will give it a try, but me thinks it'll get glitchy too.

At home:
    Bottom line now is to quick plan on Google to get the route down.
    Put those routes in the MS Street with limiting parameters, like max 8hr driving (+- 1hour), 450 mile (+-50mi), decide on stop, and look in the area for campsites and things to do. (Not sure Base Camp has the parameters option).
    Then load in one by one the stops into the Garmin. I don't need it to track from 1-2-3-4 as I get one one stop, next day I'll put in another.. PITA, but it's as simple as it gets.

Garmin will give me the best way (a-hem, most of the time) on where to turn etc and gas/food but always keeping the "Highlighted route" on a paper map next to me.

Last trip loop for 20 days, I found I was using my paper map more than anything else.. Back to basics I suppose...

Subject to change when I find something better.. heheh,
    Confusing I know, but you should see it from this end LOL..

cheers,
    Fun...

19. Ken & Peggy

Let me throw another one into the mix:

DeLorme's (of Gazetteer fame) Street Atlas USA 2014 Plus . I have not used this one for a while, just because I don't do routing any more. When I did use it, it did a great job of routing, keeping track of gas stop frequency, estimating how far you'd get given your driving time parameters, etc. Their 'Plus' version is $39.

(I do use one of Delorme's GPS units for backpacking, the PN-40SE, and their TOPO North America software. They have newer units available. Nice stuff.)

EDIT: They've got a bundle that includes a GPS receiver for an extra $10 HERE

20. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

So Ken, you would use their hand held GPS to guide you along. Not a Car Navigator type of thing?