CA National Park Joshua Tree?

Discussion in 'West' started by Randy, May 31, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Can anyone recommend a campground in Joshua tree that takes reservations and is dog friendly? Thanks!

2. Quinny

Quinny Novice

Oh,I want to hear the answer to this too! We should get our new to us 560 this Thursday and that's high on the list of places to go!

3. michaelo

michaelo Novice

We camped at Black Rock Canyon campground last winter and loved it. Black Rock and Indian Cove are the only campgrounds that have water and take reservations October through May. They don't take reservations now because there's no demand, it's really really hot there now, no really! No national parks I've visited are dog friendly, dogs are restricted to the campgrounds and roads, no trail access period. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

Michael

4. Quinny

Quinny Novice

Thanks Michael. That photo is lovely! May I ask what month of winter you were there?

5. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Also dogs and jumping cholla don't mix! Seen some hurting pups who brushed up against them. Not sure of the cholla distribution in JT, but I would be cautious.

6. michaelo

michaelo Novice

We were there in early February, nice weather, low 70s during the day and 40s overnight. A heads up for that time of year, the campground fills up during the long weekends so reservations are a must if you want to stay more than a few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just checked the forecast for the Yukka Valley, the town on the north side of the park, 102 degrees for the high today, but high 70s later in the week, now that's some fine weather for this time of year, go figure.

Michael

7. Randy

Thanks for the warnings about the heat and jumping chola! Ya, it's a shame that most national parks are anti-dog. I probable won't camp at many since Rika the Viszla is half owner of my camper! :)

8. birder526

birder526 Novice

Beautiful pictures! Thanks! Definitely on our travel list!

9. michaelo

michaelo Novice

We visited many National Parks with Fred our golden retriever/Irish setter furry bundle of joy. It was very frustrating because we could only do short hikes in the early morning while temps were low so Fred wouldn't bake in our van. Going all that way to the Grand Canyon or Yosemite and being restricted to the visitor center and gift shop is tough.There are very good reasons for keeping pets out of the backcountry however. Came across this FAQ that explains many of the issues.

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Thanks Diane and Michael, here's another.

[​IMG]

Michael

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  10. Quinny

Quinny Novice

They are lovely photos!

11. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Camping is tough with pets. It's one of the reasons we don't have a dog. We love dogs, but we're gone so often and to so many places where they are not allowed, the poor dear would spend it's life in kennels. That would break the dog's heart and ours. Can't do it.

When our camping days are over, we'll get a rescue mutt and spoil it rotten.

Sue

12. Quinny

Quinny Novice

Ours is straight from Animal Control last summer and I never really realized how hard it was to include a Fido at most campgrounds! She's worth it though! (Most of the time) Luckily I have a co-worker who is primarily responsible for my adopting her and jumps at the chance to dog sit whenever needed. Looks like she may be called upon for Joshua Tree...

13. Randy

Lake Skinner in Temecula is a great place to camp with dogs! Heck, this whole thing for us was about spending time outdoors with our dog. Plenty of great places to do that, just gotta do your homework.

Randy

14. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Our dog Fred was very well traveled, he always came with us, we never boarded him, well just that once (what a disaster that was, he never had fleas till we boarded him, didn't do that again) heck he was our excuse for a road trip "Fred needs an outing"
    He camped at the Grand Canyon 3 times, Yosemite, Monument Valley, The Everglades NP, Olympic Mountains NP at Kalalock (our all time favorite campground, Freddy's
    too!) Mesa Verde NP, Biscayne NP, (we practically lived there, cruised the park couple three times a week for 10 years, Fred was a very good sailor, loved to stretch out and nap in the cockpit during those lazy summertime outings) He camped at Canyon de Chelly, Chaco Canyon, Valley of Fire, Navada, Sycamore Canyon in Malibu, Refugio, El Capitan and Carpinteria beach SPs in Santa Barbara County, the Redwood parks. San Simeon SP (Fred's second all time favorite park on the west coast) He traveled the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Trail more than once, he's been to Toronto Canada and Detroit MI visiting family , New Orleans for Mardi Gras, he camped at Candle Stick Park in San Francisco for Christmas, Mystic Seaport Connecticut for the wooden boat festival, he's visited New York NY, Santa Fe NM, Savannah GA, ( can't recommend Skidaway Is. SP enough for a visit to that most southern of cities!) Key West FL, Washington DC, he's been to Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece "Falling Water" on Bear run stream
    near Pittsburgh PA,
    etc. etc. dang! ... that hound sure got around!... so sure, by all means, " Have Pouch, will travel"

Michael

15. Quinny

Quinny Novice

Fred sounds like an awesome, and lucky dog. What kind was he? I'm imagining a Golden Retriever...

16. Randy

17. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Fred was a golden retriever/Irish setter mix. He went up to the campground in the sky well over 15 years ago now. Great lookin pouch Randy. Keep those pictures comin.

Michael

18. Randy

I think Rika could learn a thing or two about camping from Fred. That's an impressive travel log Fred has!

19. Quinny

Quinny Novice

Rika looks ready to roll! Probably perpetually, if I know Vizslas!

I looked into Lake Skinner, is there a campground you would recommend over others? Thanks!

20. Randy

We actually like the tent area, campground A, 114-124. All have water, only 114 and 115 have electricity. Even without hooking up our solar we can easily make it two nights without electric. Our favorite is 117, great shade tree. There is a cute splash pad/ water play area if you are taking little ones. Nice place to ride bikes too and super dog friendly. The lake is beautiful. Multiple wineries right outside the campground. Crowded in the summer but we love it there. I would stay away from the interior spots between the roads, try to get something on the edge of the fields. We are trying Lake Cuyamaca near Julian next weekend. Keep us posted on any great So Cal spots you find!

The only downside to camping with a Vizsla is the need for a double camp chair. Otherwise you end up with a 60 pound dog on your lap!

Randy