Keeping Fresh water tank fresh

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Cosmo, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Things tend to grow in water! I have to clean my Britta water filter on a regular basis because I find slime and algae growing in it which adds undesirable flavor.

Being a newbie, in the planning phase of the purchase in my mind I had an image of fresh drinking water on tap.

But it has been pointed out at least some people prefer bottled water to drink.

I am wondering what solutions are available (pun intended) in addition to drinking bottled water.

Thanks
    Cosmo

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

On the left above on this forum is a link to the Owner's Manual, Page 14 has the "how to sanitize" your tanks. Feel free to do what I did--read the manual 2-3 times while you wait for it to be built.

Also in the manual, page 45 is the Maintenance schedule, and it's recommended to sanitize at the beginning of your camping season, and before any long trip.

PS: I love watching flash mob things on youtube; thanks for the links!

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Water:
    I never had used the sink except for Storing towels and magazines, but then I found a use for it and a need and I now use it all the time. I upgraded the faucet and splash boards, didn't have it on my year, and replaced the pump motor with a quiet one. now works great.

I still use my "Water System" in that I got 3 5-Gal big water bottles, the blue-green ones you usually see on water coolers in offices etc... with the hand pump. Lower right corner of pic (they have a battery one, but trying to keep thing simple without breaking and batteries) I then fill them when I go to the market, they have those refill stations for a $1.75 @ 5 Gal.

[​IMG]

I use them for cooking/drinking and the sink water for anything else. This guarantees the taste won't be camp/chlorine tasting and better than home water. It's cheap, easy to refill.

I use about 3/4 or a little more on 3-4 day trips. IF I go longer, I'll carry two. One to use while I refill the empty one.

I have 3 just so I can take two and still have a back-up at home.

I also get that green Moss in the Brita at home.. heheh Slime water algae but if you've done any camping, you're used to it...

I'll fill up the TD water with a camp hose or hose at home. It's clean, drinkable in a bind but used for Misc stuff, brushing teeth, rinsing etc...

Typically, when I get back I'll have some water in the bottle left, I'll let it stay if it's some and they use the residual from the next bottle to fill it. or some thing like that. Or, I just pour it out and refill full.

For my little quick "Sleep & Go"s trying to get somewhere, I got a little 2-gal version that fits in the sink so I don't have to mess with the bigger 5-gal ones for just quick night and go...
    So far, so good...

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Love your White Mtns. video. We did some backpacking there a couple years ago, and it nearly did us in. Beautiful country.

5. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Oh my gosh, Cosmo, what unbelievable pictures. I want to go on your next vacation.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

I live in New Jersey (no laughter please). I have easy access to all of New England and I take advantage of it. Canada is also within striking distance.

I must have a loadstone in my head like some birds Intend to head north when I can. That leaves the south for later. I did do the Presidential range hike in the White Mtns in the past. Its spectacular in the fall. So many places to enjoy – so little time!

Finally I am coming to terms with the water thing Frank and everyone else put my thoughts into focus. I go with the sink and tanks – use them where applicable and us an external water source – healthy hose for hook up where available. Water bottle where applicable and internal water when applicable. Why not use all. That so takes care of winter camping. Sounds like the plastic wash tub is an add on to the sink to get more washing done.

Then something to go over the sink like a cutting board is a plus for surface space.

Many Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Pat – Thank You. More physically active fun people are always welcome! No TVs and no sofa slugs please. When I do decide on a Teardrop – I am hoping it will add more capability to the adventures.

Cosmo