Leaving water pump on?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Randy, May 2, 2016.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Is it OK to leave the water pump switch ON the whole time you are camping or better to turn it off between uses? Is it using electricity when in the ON position or only when actually pumping?

Thanks

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, re-interested in this one too....

last I recall, it's best to turn off when not using as it puts pressure on the seals or something like that and will eventually cause a slow drip, draining the water tank...
    or something like that..

I'm sure Cary will post repost the reason for it, but I have the same "setup" water pump with on/off switch and have recently been wondering about it too. Seems to me that the faucet mfg would consider that in their planning on seals etc...

Standing by.. thanks for asking..

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Randy and Frank,

No worries about seals and such. The reason is when the pump switch is turned off it is still maintaining pressure inside the pump. The pump is activated by a internal pressure switch.

We do recommend turning the pump off at night. This is mostly to prevent possible sleep disturbance. Every couple hours or so the pump relaxes it's pressure just enough to run the pump for a second to bring the pressure back up. If the switch is left on during the night it can disturb your sleep potentially.

The only power draw for having the pump switch on is the light on the switch and the occasional pressure bump I just described.

The other reason we recommend turning the pump off at night is we recommend dropping the water pressure off of the pump by opening a faucet. This is primarily to protect the sprayer hose from an overnight freeze. Camping in "extended" seasons such as fall or spring can cause damage to the sprayer head on a cold night. Best to be in the habit even during warm seasons.

Cary

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ahh-soooo.... I get it now...

Noise at night, typically 3:00am heheh, I know of what you speak....

Thanks Cary, I won't worry about "Breaking something" cause i forgot to turn it off...

Now I can rest easy.... assuming I turned the pump off that is.. heheh,

thanks, hope all is well in Camp Inn-Land...

cheers..

5. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I was going to say that we normally turn ours off between uses. Also, another reminder is don't turn the pump on when connected to the campsite faucet. In inadvertently had the pump on when connected to the campsite water. Used all the water in the tank and took me a few minutes to realize that I was using the tank water and not the campsite water. Doh!

fpoole likes this.
  6. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

At one point we had our camper stored in the garage and had left the water pump turned on, probably for weeks. Slowly, over time I keep hearing a louder and louder noise of unknown origin. Eventually we figured out that was being caused by the water pump. So forgetting to turn it off now and then probably isn't the worst thing to do, but leaving it on when storing it for the winter might lead to unpleasant results.

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

As I remember, when we went through orientation turning it off was recommended simply because the water line will depreasureize cause the pump to run momentarily. It won't hurt anything, but you might find it annoying at night if the pump does a quick short cycle just to repreasurize the lines. There's no harm that I am aware of....