LED bulb replacements for the running lights??

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by moctoc, May 9, 2014.

1. moctoc

moctoc Newbie

Anyone know if there are LED bulb replacements for the running lights? I tried but couldn't find the smaller base.

2. slumry

slumry Novice

I have been trying to find replaced LEDs for both the running lights and the xenon bulbs and have purchased a few candidates; however, I have not yet install them so I can’t tell you how good they will work.

Keep in mind that incandescent bulb radiant light in all directions while LEDs are designed to point light in a narrow beam. That is the reason why it takes many individual LEDs pointed in different direction to provide light in a similar manner to an incandescent. Both the LED bulbs I got look like Christmas trees.

The firm is Superbrightleds.com and if they don’t have a suitable match, I am not sure who will. What I ordered:

Running lights; 67-x15: 15-LED BIA15S 67-A15: Amber, make sure to order a color to match the diffuser you are going to use. These are sold in packs of two. $4.95 each.

Xenon light: G4-WWHP15-TAC: Warm White. $13

If you order these, let me know if they work. I am waiting for my incandescent bulbs to fail before I replace them with an LEDs.

3. moctoc

moctoc Newbie

The 1156 bulbs are larger than my running lights. They fit the license plate light though. My running lights (2007 Ultra. 550) take a BA9S bulb. Amazon has some led's that size. Just ordered some, I'll let you know how they work.

4. moctoc

moctoc Newbie

5. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

I ordered two packs of 4 led bulbs to upgrade my 560 Ultra (2008) and these went in with no issues and work fine. They also are brighter then the standard filament bulbs, and will last a lot longer. Definitely a worth while upgrade to the running/marker lights.

JimH

6. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

Jenn

The ones I installed are for the marker lights on the outside of the teardrop and are quiet. They are on or off only and cannot be dimmed.

JimH

7. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Jim, what manufacturer and part number did you get, and where did you get them? This upgrade is high on my list.

8. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

To rotus8

If you look back 4 post there is a link in the moctoc post which takes you to amazon and a company called Cutequeen.

JimH

9. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Thanks! And done.

10. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

For those who might be interested I am in the process of replacing the backup lights with LED units and the license plate light as well. I will post the specifics when they been tested. The backup lights are in and they work great. I am waiting for the license plate bulb to show up.
    What I found when I took the chrome cover off was that the plastic lense had warped due to the heat of the existent bulb. This had allowed water in and caused some corrosion which I had to clean up. The LED will solve this problem as well.
    Specifics coming soon - next week.

JimH

11. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

This write up is to identify sources for LED replacements for all of the bulbs on the outside of the teardrop. They are all being used on a 2008, Raindrop 560 Ultra.

The first project and the easiest is replacing the side running lights on our raindrop that takes 6 LED replacements I got the link for these off of this board, from a moctoc posting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP2BOPC/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These come in groups of 4 so I ordered 2 packages. I ordered thru the link above at Amazon.com from a company called Cutequeen. The ones I ordered were the white LEDs and they are bright some folks may want to go with colored LEDs so they are more yellow and red. Your choice. Installation is simple, all you will need is a Philips screw driver. The only thing to be careful of is to make sure the black lens gasket is seated properly when putting the lens back on.

The second project that I did was for the optional backup lights which not everyone has. This project is a little more difficult. Because the LED units are deeper and the grommets are tighter you will need to order the kit which contains the following.

(2) White 2.5” round 13 LED custom Mini Reverse Backup Lights / Grommets / Wires sold by Closer to wholesale
    The reason for buying this grouping was to get the deeper grommets. The wires in this kit you will not use because the existing wiring is just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Rever...1407767534&sr=1-18&keywords=backup+led+lights

Be careful when ordering you want the 2.5” units not the 2” ones. To install these you will need to remove the existing units and their grommet which are not deep enough for a flush mount. On my trailer the existing wholes were a little tight, so I enlarged the hole just a little with a dremel tool. My guess is this was because the new grommets are of a thicker heavier material. They are also of a different design and give you a tighter seal. Once the grommets are in then the units can be installed but before you push them into place test them LEDs are polarity sensitive and if you have them backwards they will not light. Just unplug the connector reverse it and plug it back in and retest to see that it lights up. So with the top label up (back center) start working them into place, what I found was with a medium size flat bladed screw driver pry the grommet away from the unit edge and then pressing in they will go into place a section at a time. You will have to work your way around the unit but eventually it becomes a flush mounted unit which looks really nice and is much brighter. This project took me some time to get both units installed and may not be for everyone.

The third project was the license plate light. What I found after removing the chrome shield was that the flat factory plastic closure had in fact warped due to heat from the existing bulb and let water in. This required me to clean up the rust inside the shield which I then hit with a coat of a bright silver paint. I removed the wrapped plastic and replaced it with a new flat piece which I custom fit and glued into place to make it water tight. The bulb I got was a 15 LED unit thru Amazon from Super Bright LEDs, Inc. at the following link below.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...gleBaseChild&gclid=CO7k_ee8i8ACFYMF7AodnloADQ

Like the side marker lights it is a simple bayonet mount, followed by the three screws for the cover. These three small projects will give you many hours of good service.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    Tour 931 likes this.
  12. bherbig

bherbig Novice

Jim,
    Approximately how much material did you have to take off with the dremel for the back up light install?
    Bruce

13. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

Hello Bruce

I took off very little from the existing holes. They were a little rough so I just smoothed things out by taking down the high spots. I should see you at Mi -Te- Jo in September.

14. bherbig

bherbig Novice

Jim,
    Thanks for that info. Been looking for this for awhile now. We are not planning on Mi-Te-Jo this year. Both of us are retiring this Dec.-Jan. and are going to take a couple months off early next year and head west.
    Bruce