Licensing The Trailer In Washington State

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tour 931, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Tomorrow I'm planning on going to the DOL and getting plates for my trailer. How did it go for everyone? Any problems?

2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Thanks Jenn, Cary told me horror stories of getting them licensed. :eek:
    Glad Washington is a licensed friendly state.:)

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It went smooth and as expected. In and out in a half hour.

4. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I wish mine had been smooth. There is nothing easy about our local DMV. After waiting an hour or so to be attended to I got a worker who was certain I needed to pay local excise tax in spite of having paid sales tax in Wisconsin. After 2 1/2 hours of round and round I just sucked it up and paid the extra $1100 or so. Having felt I had been wronged, I wrote the state comptroller and sent all the supporting documentation (including state laws pertaining to this). They agreed and issued me a refund check. It was quite a hassle to say the least!

jcole likes this.
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Maybe it was because I went to one of the private pay for service DOL's. What state are you in?

6. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Maryland. I went to a Baltimore City DMV. They don't see a lot of tear drops or other RVs for that matter being licensed there. Ben H

7. sneakerwave

sneakerwave Novice Donating Member

Tour 931, did you not have to pay WA DOL the difference between WA sales tax and WI sales tax? Whitman County sales tax is 7.8%. When I do buy my CI, I figured I'd need to pay WA DOL 2.3% sales tax, above the 5.5% paid to WI. Am I wrong about that?

8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Yes I paid the difference. In King County we are above 10%.

9. sneakerwave

sneakerwave Novice Donating Member

Ok, then I am on the right track with tax. Thank you for the quick response. But yikes on that 10%!

Tour 931 likes this.