Logging Miles

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Awards' started by Hilditch, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Cool ideas Evan! Thanks for the work.

Although we have 21,892 miles on the CI and way too many miles on side/touring trips to qualify for the 25K pin, I'm hesitant to claim it based on the side miles. All our side miles have been day trips, but I'm sure some park it & run off for days in a NYC hotel, etc. We have racked up 300 miles going sightseeing in a day in Canada. I think I'll hold off for actual 25K CI miles. A milestone to be proud of.

Hilditch

2. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Confirmed. After a week of additional consideration, this award should only be available to those who have put 25K miles on the CI tires. Side trip miles are BS!

Hilditch

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Craig allowed side trips on the Long Haul because otherwise you couldn't just check your odometer at the end of the trip, but obviously this doesn't apply to the 25k.

I just checked the 25k rules and this isn't specifically addressed.

Craig???

I think I would second the motion that since you already would have to be keeping a log of miles towards your 25k, it makes sense to only count trailer miles - but, of course, Craig is footing the bill so it's up to him.

4. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

On one or two stop trips the mileage is easy to log. On long multi-campground trips I don't log every leg but instead take the total trip mileage and give the CI 75% or 80% of the miles depending on how I feel about the side trips. This works and is very exact, trust me.

Hilditch

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Everybody’s definition of “Camping” and “Travel” is different. I usually camp so I can travel. Other people travel so they can camp. Some people cook over an open fire, others dine at a restaurant in the area. Some people camp with the bare necessities, others bring a trailer full of “toys.” Some take a few long trips, others stay closer to home and go more frequently.

My goal for creating these awards was to recognize customers for reaching significant milestones. Each award recognizes a different aspect of camping/traveling with your Camp-Inn.

My goals in writing the rules for these awards were:

1. Keep the amount of bookkeeping (for the customers and Evan) to a minimum.
    2. Allow flexibility of the rules so we don’t have to account for every possible scenario.
    3. Allow customers to get credit for trips already taken.
    4. Have the Goal significant without being impossible.
    5. Allow the customer a chance to share their experiences with others.

In your posting you said your side trips account for 20-25% of your overall trip. In the “Rules” FAQ section, I state that side trips usually account for 10-20% of the overall. I chose this range since my experience has been about 10% so I thought I was being generous going as high as 20%. On a 5000 mile trip 10% is 500 miles and 25% is 1250 miles. This variation could easily make the difference between qualifying and not qualifying for the Long Haul award. So the “Rules” state that side trips are allowed as part of the totals and leave it up to the customer to estimate based on their experience.

Anyone that makes it to 25,000 miles including side trips, will probably make it to 25,000 “trailer only miles” shortly thereafter. Allowing side trips only makes the customer eligible a little sooner. You can choose to hold-off your application until you have accumulated 25,000 “trailer only miles”, but doing so does not diminish the accomplishment by others that choose to include allowed side trip miles.

I have stayed in hotels while on trips with my Camp-Inn . In my case one time it was due to illness (need to get out of extreme heat) and another time I was unable to find a camping spot and did not feel like driving further or backtracking. While I counted the miles to and from the hotel in my “Total Miles” I didn’t count the nights as “Nights”. If I said the “miles” to the hotel didn’t count, where did those “miles” officially start? From the previous nights camping spot? Or, do I only count miles from the point that I decided I needed to get a hotel room until I actually got to the hotel? See Goal #1 above.

We could add a rule that stated that the trailer had to be parked in close proximity to the hotel to disqualify someone if they “park it & run off for days in a NYC hotel” but that would be contrary to Goal #2 above.

The only way to keep exact miles traveled, while still meeting Goal #1, would be to install a hub odometer like the semi-trailers have. Of course this would conflict with Goal #3.

Craig

6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, yeah, a lotta miles to cover...

I'm using the Google set up.
    Set up the Google (cloud) "Docs" it's a spreadsheet I'm now using for Trip planning. Post & Totals once set up.

I then use the Google Map & directions for the miles to and from (trailer hauling) the campsite, count the number of nights, usually 2, and log the time and mile distance that Google maps put up when you choose directions.

Yes, i do stop for directions... well, not right away anyway.. as Garmin can/has sent me off down an wilderness forest road that dead-ends about a 1/8th of mile from the highway..

7. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Wrong turns count they are all part of the trip as long as the CI goes with you

8. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Wrong turns should count!

9. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Thats how we find places we were not looking for.

10. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

When our kids would ask if we had gone the wrong way, we would tell them "No, we are giving you the opportunity to see some vistas you might never have the chance to see again..." :D

:cool:

11. bcannizzo

bcannizzo Novice

Betsey

My version of that was.... this is the scenic route!