Long Haul - Campsite selections

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by fpoole, Mar 25, 2013.

1. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Howdy,
    Most all of my camping has been just weekends due to work etc, but now retired and planning for the longer haul trips. I have most of the software, MS Trips & Maps and the campsite links. So pretty much "All Dressed up, no where to go..." or stay.

Question:
    How do you plan for the next day or 4 campsites?

Do you just take off and go?
    Plan to make a certain campsite by xxx-hours (2pm?)
    Do you make RSVPs, maybe only during summer
    or do you just go and hope/look for the best available.
    Not fond of the last option unless I have 3-4 backups in the area or is that how you do it.

Just say i want to be in the Yellowstone area and will find a campsite when I'm there.. or plan on one with 2-3 backups in mind...

Just a Wandering Minds that Wants to Know...

thanks...

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Frank, I am planning a few trips for the summer. One being to Yellowstone. I have campground reservations since we will be there in July. We will be continuing on to Grand Teton National Park after that, and reservations are not accepted. The last night we are in Yellowstone, I reserved a spot at the campground, the furthest south and closest to GTNP. This allows me to get a jump on getting to our campground early in the morning to get a spot. Most of the campgrounds in Yellowstone and GT open spots up promptly a 9:00am, and depending on the campground, can be gone quickly, so you want to be there early to get a spot further up the que. This is what my research has netted at least, when it comes to summer in these locations.

For me, I have only done one longer trip, which was last year, and there is peace in knowing where I am going to stop. Since I am usually traveling alone with the kid, I take campground suggestions really seriously, just for the safety aspect. Just part of my type-a personality and my dad constantly putting the fear of god in me (he claims he is doing it to try and keep me safe - thanks dad!). That being said, my trip last summer had some reservations made, and we were on the fly a few other times. We were traveling in early June, before school was out. I will say the weekends were harder to find spots at that time than during the week. Families getting out and all. I think if I were traveling with Mick (or without the Lad), my mind would change about always having to have a reservation all of the time. We have been going to very specific places with a time line as well, rather than roaming (one day we will get there, but we have a good few years before retirement).

That is all I know, and I would say, stick with what Jenn says. She is the pro!

3. fpoole

Great Jenn,
    I got those memberships too and the AAA-Rv package.

My main question would be, as an example... from here to Florida.
    So I guess Using the MS Trip Maps, plan the route, figure out where to camp from that with the driving times etc.

I guess, just make notes of a few campsites in the general area I want to stop and pull in when I get there....

LOL, understand complete on the Timing (BKT Months) and making RSVP during those times, heheh, but just trying to get an idea on sort of wandering around lost in Camping-land..

I have been "Skunked" on Whidbey Island. None of the 3 sites were available, Booked-Booked-closed.. and that's kinda what I wondering on figuring out where to go...

I could have gone to somewhere else of course, but it was a Dive trip and other locations that I happen to know were too far away to make it worthwhile so bagged it back home. Home is just a little further way in the Middle of Missouri...
    Oh Wait, how would you know about Missouri.... LOL, just joking.. but you get the idea.

I've got the several Campsites apps on the phone so figure just in case they'll do.

Thanks Jenn....

I am starting the trips.
    Went to Deschutes last week, got blown out.
    Heading to Lopez Island Wed for 5 days and then home, set up external Battery hook up and then probably down to Central Oregon, Silver Falls or something like that... a little further and longer each time... heheh, one step at a time eh???
    Still have the Oly Pennisula, got blown out when planned last time.

thanks again.. see you on the road..

[​IMG]

Deschutes/Columbia River pics (nothing exciting, just got blown out, came home early.)
    https://plus.google.com/photos/108683042376142967861/albums/5859353756579592913

Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Frank,

Most state parks keep about 10% of their sites nonreservable. First come first served. Arriving early in the week should guarantee you a place till leave.

How comfortable are you using forest roads for camping? State forest campgrounds may be open, have pit toilets and potable water.

Guessing you know that already. Army Core of Engineer campgrounds, if fairly new/modern are my top choice over state and National Parks.

jean

5. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

For me, part of the thrill of the open road is having no timetable to meet, and no idea of where you'll find yourself next morning.
    But, of course, this isn't always practical - fun though. :)

6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

It wasn't too long ago that getting to a campground on Thursday would guarantee a spot, but with so many people retired/retiring, you DO need to arrive early in the week to get a spot at many campgrounds.

7. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Frank - we camped a week ago Monday at Cove Palisades SP in Oregon. A man driving into the campground said he had seen a teardrop like ours while along the Columbia River - must have been yours! If he had mentioned the artwork on the outside we would have known immediately that it was you! Sorry you were blown out. We had wind from northeastern California down to Nevada. Then again across New Mexico on I-10. Isn't much fun.

Kathy & Bob

8. fpoole

Kathy & Bob:, Yah probably was. Was planning on going the pass, but snowed out, so drove around to I-5... Will be going back there, but next is either Silver Falls, OR or the OLY loop.

Doing Lopez island tomorrow till Sunday.. love that place, camping right on the beach sand. Sweet.... and aside from rain tomorrow and next, weekend is looking good, so it just might be spring popping up now... hope so...

Jean:
    No problem on the roads, 4x4 heheh, assuming can turn around somewhere, PITA to unhitch and move it around... Have stayed at the Pits, not a problem either and some are nice, but had an experience on thinking that and all 3 were filled, 15-19 spots each so not real excited about them. Middle of week might be the big difference as that was on the weekend..

Ken:
    Yep, heheh, back in the "Old Days"... mid Thursday seems to be the "magic hour". After about 2pm they're rolling in..

Evan:
    Yep, unfortunately I was raised differently as "Set a destination and go..." LOL, sad actually, I don't stop to smell the roses. Drives me Knutts to see a place and say, oh, I should stop there a view it... I just rationalize, good place for next trip... and of course it never happens.
    Trick is, for me, to set the destination as way points.. anyway, I sadly laugh as i whiz by them...

I'll get my "Rhythm" as I get out there, just not sure what it is yet..
    Fun eh??

9. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Frank,

Holiday weekends in the summer are a must reserve or better yet visit relatives or friends and camp in their driveway. In FL most Holiday weekends.

Try to break camp earlier and arrive at next stopping point by 2pm so we can set up, take a walk or do some sightseeing.

Passport America www.passportamerica.com/ is a Half Price campground club we use. use Good Sams and get a discount on the membership. They have 1,600 campgrounds signed up there are restiction on some. Its saves us $$$$ when we are on the move. Some places are nice some not so nice.

We have Good Sam Road Side Assist and Towing. We think it’s less expensive with better benefits than AAA

Advice we have used from a big rig full timers blog:

Since you’re now retired it’s a journey not a race to get there. We try to keep our travel to 250-300 max on any given day.

Unless we need to be some where we are now spending 2 nights at most stops. Stop and see a bit while you’re passing through.

Benn

10. David Olson

David Olson Novice

When Becky and I go we have a general idea of our route but that is it. It is pretty much a day by day plan. That for us is the adventure. Don't forget to get local input. Locals have put us onto some very cool things not in the books.
    With our solar panel we don't need to be in a campground.
    Its not about the miles but the adventure of getting there.

11. Tom Ruggles

Tom Ruggles Novice

Frank --

Next time you are on Lopez give us a PM holler. We have a place there and will be "on island" from April 12 to around Sep 1, when we head north to Canada and then east to CICO-10. Would love to hook up.

12. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

That is life, we can't see everything, have to pick and choose priorities, be thankful we have discrenerary funds to be on adventures.