550 / 560 Looking To Buy

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Brian MT, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Brian MT

Brian MT Newbie

I have decided after about two years of looking and researching to buy a teardrop trailer. I decided to not go the little guy route because camp inn makes such a great product.

So about two weeks ago I called camp inn to order and found out if I order now I can pick it up late this fall or next spring. So now I off to buy on the used market.

So here's the question. Does everyone who buys a camp inn go for the upgraded packages? From what I have seen are most ultras. I was looking at buying a 550 specialfor around $13,500 and I can't seem for find any used ones for under $15k. Any insight?

I want to keep the camping experience while still having a bed to sleep on for the sake of my back.

2. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Brian and Kristie
    We decided to purchase the 560 ultra SUV package for several reasons:
    1. Wanted the height of the SUV package because we are both tall and liked the higher counter height and head room in the galley.
    2. 560 model because we liked the couch option and potential for more space for us and option to take grandkids with us who are too young to leave in.a tent alone at this time.
    3. Ultra package because we found we like all the bells and whistles (obvious in our other purchases such as cars, etc) and felt we could afford it too. Buy what you can afford and be happy with. If not the ultra now, there is always the potential to trade up in the future.
    As you can see by this forum, the demand for resale is there and they do hold their value. Most of all, you need to ask yourself is this the type of camping you want to do? There are some on this forum who think less is best, and for them this is true. They continue to enjoy their rigs. Best thing to see is that everyone is very happy with what they have and enjoy camping.
    While we have not left the garage yet, tent camping was always what we did, now just wanted to get off the ground and still be outside for all the rest. We are very happy with our Escape Pod as the craftsmanship is superb.
    Hope this helps.
    Gina

3. Brian MT

Brian MT Newbie

I am definitely in the less is more camp. Being cheap/poor helps. Buying a camp inn will stretch our budget a little but well worth it in the long run.

I have 4 kids so not having to winterize a camper is also plus. In addition having a place to throw sleeping bags and tent will help free up space in the minivan.

4. Brian MT

Brian MT Newbie

I buy/pickup my new to me 550 in 7 days. Thank you to everyone how has answered on random question.

5. birder526

birder526 Novice

We picked up our 550 Special last week. We did a few upgrades (suv package, lights, refrigerator, alcan cover, screen doors, galley drawer organizer.) No air conditioning, no furnace, no sink and no stove. Less is more for us! We have just started our full-time teardropping and love our teardrop already! Good luck and happy trails!

6. Brett

Brett Newbie

If you can't buy a used camp inn a new one is the way to go. I'm also a less is more kind of guy. I like if my coleman stove craps out I go to any wal mart and buy another one. If my water jug breaks (ha!) I go to wal mart and buy another one, and if my lanterns break or run out of batteries I go to....well you get the idea. Nothing against the decked out models though, I see the appeal for sure. And maybe in a couple years I'll wish I ordered more...but for now I'm pretty thrilled. Cary was so awesome to let me do some upgrades that really make it feel custom.

The six months will fly by if it would be ready in the fall. Next spring is a long time...that's a full year. If it's six months you can pay the deposit to build it and have that time to work OT or save some extra money so you don't have to pay for it all at once like a used one. And that six months allows you to buy supplies at a leisurely pace, get your tow vehicle set up and plan some trips. A year I think I'd feel differently about.

7. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Brian,

Welcome to the Camp Inn forum.

Camp Inn products hold excellent resale value. In the past used units were extremely rare, which has changed in the last year as more units are manufactured, the same occurs with used units being offered for resale.

The last few weeks is proof of multiple teardrops being offered for sale. If a unit is within your desired price range, be prepared to drive a considerable distance.

As for Ultra versus base, the bare bones of all Camp Inn's are manufactured with the same high quality standards and products. The difference is in the bells and whistles of lights, door handles, cabin cupboards, and on-board water.

If you are considering a used unit contact Camp Inn for information about the unit. Some customers keep in touch with the factory about issues, upgrades etc. Of course some units leave the factory and never heard from again.

Jean

8. Brian MT

Brian MT Newbie

The one I'm buying is only a year old and a classic. So water and propane that is more than I'm looking for and about $4k out of our budget.

I hate loans but decided u can only look for so long before u have to sht or get off the pot. So with two feet I'm in.

My wife on the other hand is looking forward to the amenities...price is another issue but she supports "my dream" After a season of sleeping in a camp inn I'll post is its her new dream too. Lol

9. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

When I was searching, most of the used I saw for sale were Ultras. I am personally glad ours is an ultra because I do like most of the stuff. It has a more refined feel to it.

The lights for example...I did not want traditional plastic covered RV/Camper lights. They just feel cheap and why put cheap lights on a beautiful trailer? The door handles, either were fine with me but the ultra's do look a little better.

Buying an ultra used you sorta get those things for free though. in either case, the trailers do hold their value pretty well right now. I suspect they probably always will since CampInn is not mass producing them like little guy does and therefore, each one is still very special when compared to other products in market.

10. tjturner

tjturner Newbie

Hi Brian & Kreistie, I have a 550 camper that is basically a classic model with a custom built galley area. It was finished in 2008 and the serial number is 252. Back when mine was made they they had slightly different models, so I did a number of upgrades upon ordering. The camper is in almost new condition, always stored inside during the winter, and lightly used. I have a list of items showing all the upgrades and extras that are included with the camper, including the side tent, 10x10 alcove with a duel sidewall. Some of the other items include the alcan cover, SS table, SS bumper, SUV package, memory foam mattress, and vintage door handles. Plus many others. I'm asking $8000.00 for everything. I can be contacted at tturner67@outlook.com. My reason for selling is due to worsening health problems. Please contacted and I will give you the entire list of equipment that goes with the camper.