Lost Nut on Leveling Jack

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by sardineman, Apr 15, 2012.

1. sardineman

sardineman Novice

On my last trip I lost the nut on one of my leveling jacks. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might get a replacement? We do have a large RV parts dealer who is local, so I guess if it comes down to it, I could take the jack off and bring it in, but I'd much rather find something online.

Thanks

2. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Today I pulled both jacks off so I could take them to an RV place. This is what they look like:

[​IMG]

The one on the left is missing the nut. There are no markings on the jack as to who the manufacturer is, so I have no way of ordering it as a replacement part. He thought that they may not even have spare parts available, meaning that I'd have to order a new jack. The only possibility is pulling one off another jack that is bad. Cary - any ideas? Any chance you folks would have a part like that available?

Thanks

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Boy, I don't know. I don't believe there are spare parts for these. I would almost think you would have to replace the jack if you can't find one.

The jack brand is Ultra Fab.

Cary

4. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Cary,

Thanks. Knowing the manufacturer helps. I couldn't find spares for any of their scissor jacks on their site, but I've sent them a note anyway. I'll post again when I get a response.

5. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Yeeha, success! That was quick.

My request:

Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 4:47 PM
    > I have a scissor jack that's about a year old that I've lost a nut from.
    > The problem is described here:
    >
    >http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=12626
    >
    > Is there any chance that you would have a spare nut available? I wasn't
    > able to find one on your site.
    >
    > Thanks

Their response:

On 4/24/2012 9:23 AM, [Ultra Fab] wrote:
    > Yes, I can send you a repair kit for this problem. I will send it out
    > UPS ground to the address that you provided in this contact form,
    > unless I hear from you. I will ship out today 4/24/12 so you should
    > have it Thursday or Friday.

That's the last repair I needed to perform on the Camp-Inn before our next trip, which will be for 4-6 weeks. Happy Campers once again!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    LisaNKevin likes this.
  6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That's sure great customer service!

7. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Was this free?

8. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Apparently so. They just shipped it, no questions asked. They do state on their site that it has a lifetime warranty, though only through the original purchaser. In this case, I don't know if that means just Camp-Inn, or whether it extends to their customers. Either way, they've sure gone the extra mile compared to other companies I've dealt with.

9. Cary Winch

This doesn't surprise me at all. They have been a fantastic supplier for us. Next time we order jacks I should ask them about supplying us with a stock of repair parts for our customers. Awesome find, glad you called them and found that out!

Cary

10. sardineman

sardineman Novice

I got my repair kit, right on schedule:

[​IMG]

This looks like a standard replacement part, #48-001002, though it is not listed on their web site. They gave me two nuts, so I'll carry the second one as a spare. Installing the pin was a bit of work. I had to pinch it on one end in a vice to get it to fit into the hole, then drive it in with a hammer and punch. It's a tight fit on the finished product, though:

[​IMG]

11. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Glad this worked for you. We'll keep a copy of this thread in the notebook we keep for "serious" TD information. Thanks for sharing your process. Do you mind posting the name and address of the source? Thanks, Kathy

(Don't forget to let us know if you ever plan a trip out to the PN!)

12. sardineman

sardineman Novice

Kathy,

That's why I like these forums. I should probably post about my fix for a broken breakaway cable, too.

My bad, I should have posted a link. The site is here. They have a parts page, but don't list any parts for that jack. So I filled out the Contact Us form with the message I wrote above. As I said, they were very responsive.

Well, 33 more days to freedom (retirement), so that's getting to be more of a possibility. We'll definitely keep you folks in mind when we make it up that way. My only trip to that area was for a job interview in Beaverton in 1980 when I was finishing up my bachelor's degree. It was sunny the day I flew in, but wet the rest of the time. Nonetheless, I was still able to check the area out and really liked it. In fact, I was ready to move there, but then was rejected for the job.

Our next trip is the BRP (again), this time for wildflower season with my Significant Other. I was in the northern section in June a few years ago when the rhododendrons were blooming and it was very nice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I saw you folks in the fall, I had only gone as far south as Linville Falls. This time, we have enough time to do the whole thing. We'll probably spend a couple of days in Asheville to check out the area for retirement, then several days in the Smoky Mountains. There's a chance we'll go to New Orleans to visit family, in which case we'll come back through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky. So we're looking at a 4-6 week road trip with nothing forcing us to return before we're ready. :)

We're planning a bunch of shorter trips to begin with, but hopefully by next year will make it out west. We've certainly gotten a lot of great ideas for places to go from reading these forums.

Cheers

13. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Thanks for the info. Beautiful pictures. Based on a niece's wedding plans - which will shape plans for a fall trip - we hope to make it to Asheville/the Biltmore Estate and drive a little bit more of the BRP. I hear Asheville is a fantastic place to live (and you can make a trip to Nashville pretty easily)

14. Monica

Monica Novice

I live in beautiful Asheville. Feel free to contact me. It is a great place to live IMHO.
    Monica

15. Cary Winch

Hey all,

One thing I noticed missing in this info. The contact info for Ultra Fab. If you have a nut go missing on your jack they will replace it for free with the kit shown above.

Here is their website:http://www.ultra-fab.com/

Here is their contact info:http://www.ultra-fab.com/comments.cfm

Hope this helps!

Cary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    LisaNKevin likes this.
  16. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

This problem happened to me on our latest trip. We arrived at the camp site and the right hand jack had no drive cap on the screw. What was left was a small hex formed on the screw. I had a random collection of sockets in my tool kit, but nothing fit. 12mm was the closest but the crappy 12-point socket I had just slipped when there was any resistance. At home, a 6-point 12mm socket did work OK, but on the road I ended up using vice-grips, which I have a love-hate relationship with; in a pinch they can save you, but often make a mess out of what you are gripping.

Anyway, I contacted UltraFab and they are sending me a repair kit, no muss, no fuss.

17. utana

utana Newbie

Just found this post. I have the same problem. Please tell me where you got the replacement nuts. Thanks John

18. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I sent a message to Ultra-Fab using their contact form HERE. They responded quickly and sent me a kit to do two repairs with no fuss, as if this is a common problem. However, I wasn't too happy with their kit. The roll pins they supplied were too big to go into the holes. I tried a properly sized pin but the holes in the nuts were drilled off center and the pins wouldn't work. They also included a couple of skinny cotter pins but I felt they were too weak so I used a slightly bigger cotter pin from my supply in my garage and that seems OK. I have put the other replacement nut and another of my larger pins in my spare parts kit for when the other one falls off.

19. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

We just noticed our leveling jack nut is missing. Wondering if we all should have replacement nuts on hand or perhaps the leveling jack nuts should be more securely attached in the first place?

20. Question for anyone on this thread. We've had exactly the same problem, which is to say that the hex nut fell off. In our case, we have the nut, but it seems there must be a cotter pin that goes flush to get it on in a way that you can get the driver socket to still fit on it. (The hex nut on the other jack seems to have a pin that is flush.) I'd welcome any guidance about the best pin or best way to install a pin.) Thanks!