Lost our cutting board

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by rotus8, Jun 26, 2015.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

On our last outing we pulled into camp one day and I noticed the galley hatch was not closed properly. Apparently it hung up on the latch on the right side; the left side latched but the right did not, and the handle was closed and locked. We opened it up and all looks normal, except our CampInn supplied cutting board is gone! Apparently it slid around and the crack in the hatch was enough for it to slide out. I hope some other motorist didn't get a nasty surprise.

I have ordered a teak end-grain cutting board that I will cut down to fit the sink. The CampInn one is nice and convenient, but I like a wooden board, and this one will be too thick to fit though a crack.

I will double check the hatch in the future too.

dustinp, Tour 931 and Kevin S like this.
  2. birder526

birder526 Novice

Great reminder for all of us!

3. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

reported as spam

4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Did a can of Span fit through the crack too!

dustinp likes this.
  5. campdude

campdude Ranger

I like SPAM [​IMG]

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Hmmm....you know....every now and then, that stuff is a horrible guilty pleasure. Much like any boyardee :D

Then you open the can, warm it...taste it...and say "OH yah....NOW I remember why I don't eat this any more."

Tour 931, Kevin S and campdude like this.
  7. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

I totally must've forgotten to latch my hatch because apparently it popped open on the Illinois toll road, somewhere around the skyway connecting Chicago to Indiana. Definitely had people signaling to me like crazy. Luckily I just lost a fold up garbage can and a bag of trail mix. I can't even blame a senior moment, I'm only 43 .

So yes it has happened to others lol

Kevin S likes this.
  8. campdude

campdude Ranger

Gerry, come on up and we can go to the SPAM museum in Minnesota,

Kevin S likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've passed the hormel site a few times in my travles...I actually want to stop some time :) Our summer plans got cancelled --- so not this year :(

What I really want to do, is make my own --- I've seen some recipes where I can cut back on the sodium a bit --- the high salt content is what I don't care for. Not for health reasons...I just don't like that much salt....

This is good rainy day camper chow...too wet/cold...crack open a can.

Kevin S likes this.
  10. My mother likes to pretend like we didn’t eat Spam when I was growing up. We did.

Tour 931 likes this.
  11. [QUOTE="Apparently some of the strong crosswinds and bumpy road early in day was enuff to jostle the locking mechanism open enuff that a wind gust got in and popped it open...?[/QUOTE]

My understanding is the same physics that make airplanes fly are what will open your hatch at high speed. Faster air exerts less pressure than slower air... creates lift and, a-la-ka-poof, your hatch is open.

--kb

SethB and Kevin S like this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

...a lot. My childhood was during a difficult time. My dad worked his tail off, for UAW Local #5 making Jeeps, Deuce and a half', and humvees until a combination of Jimmy Carters gas crisis, and stagflation bringing the line to a halt more than one time leaving us all cutting corners everywere as my Mom worked as an admitting clerk in the local hospital.

At no point did we ever go hungry -- Food was always on the table, clothes on our backs, and we had a bicycle to ride. The bike was a sheriffs aution bike, our clothes were clean but worn, and the food was someimtes rather humble. "Hamburger and Bows" (bow tie pasta in a hamburger and tomato soup sauce), rice with hamburger and sauce, polish sausage or Spam and macaroni and cheese --- from the box with powder. The foil pack was a luxury.

I admire my parents --- looking back, I can only imagine the stress they were under trying to hold things together. I know my dad never made a lot but they were incredibly good at stretching ever dollar and squeezing ever penny. The admiration comes from the fact I realize today we were dirt poor. But we, as kids, NEVER knew it.

Mark & Mel and Kevin S like this.