Love at first sight!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by birder526, Jun 3, 2014.

1. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi!

Today Michael and I took a ride to Pepperell, MA to visit Mark and Oz! Mark generously gave of his time to introduce us to his 560 Ultra, Oz. As we rounded the corner to Mark's street, we saw Oz in the driveway and it was love at first sight! We not only want a 560 Ultra, we need one!! What a beautifully crafted trailer with so many fine and well thought-out details. Mark let me climb in, I planted myself on the sofa, and happily learned all about the interior of the trailer. Michael, who has cooked professionally in his career, and who always cooks for us (lucky me!), loved the galley!

I can taste our next adventure, dubbed Odyssey III! Maybe it is the smell of the air tonight, all sweet and clean. Or the distant fox I hear calling. But, we need to be on the road again! April 2015 cannot come fast enough.

Thanks to Mark, we have a good feel for the options we want to order. I took loads of notes & photos. Thank you, Mark, for letting us meet Oz up close and personal, and for your time.

Diane

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Oh, I meant to write you a post about that. As soon as you get a look you just have to have one. It was the "nail in the coffin" for Mick who was über-skeptical about the whole idea. We left the visit we did and he said, "call Camp-Inn and order". Best decision I have ever made (outside of saying yes and marrying Mick)!

Enjoy the build process!

3. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi Sarah! Thanks for your note back. Hearing that your Mick fell for the trailer after being a doubter is great! We will order this month! So excited!

From your map, it looks like you have put your .e to good use! Any particular highlights that you might want to share? We have been fortunate enough to travel around much of the USA on bicycles loaded with camping gear, and by car with kayaks, bikes, and backpacking gear. But, this next step of calling a 'raindrop' our home, is even more exciting to us! Our goal is to travel and work and travel some more!

Best,
    Diane

4. Mick'nSarah

Well, I am a stay at home mom with a 6andahalfyearold (can't leave that last part off or I get reprimanded) and Mick has about 20 years left of work, so we get out as we can. I take the kid on a road trip every summer and Mick sometimes flies in to see us (he works a lot). The first year we did the entire Oregon Coast and the Redwoods down to see family in the Bay Area and back. That was just over 2 weeks. Last year we did a 2+ week trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I fell in complete love with Grand Teton and Jackson. I fall more in love with Montana every time I go, as well as Northern Idaho. Beautiful country up there.

This summer we are doing a 3+ week road trip to Plymouth (Ca), Yosemite, Great Basin, Zion, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and Moab (for Arches and Canyonlands). I keep hearing this is meant to be our hottest summer on record, so I am a little freaked about the SW in summer (I am a cold weather gal...love the stuff). I can't wait to see it all though. I have been to Arches on a quick drive through, but am looking forward to adventures with the Lad and friends who will be traveling with us.

Next year will be BC, Glacier and Banff I think. I would also like to do more exploration in Eastern Oregon (recently fell in love with areas near the Painted Hills and John Day) and The Oly. We have done lots of sailing up in the San Juan's and Gulf Islands, so it would be fun to take a ferry to islands and camp too. I have dreamed about traveling around Vancouver Island and camping in the summer. I would love to get our to the NE too. My grandmother was from MA originally and I would love to see where see grew up and do a bit more research into our family there (I have taken on the role as family historian...really putting that history minor to work!). One day!

So much to see, and the dreaming is limitless! Plus, it is fun to relive it by doing write ups for my little camping blog.

5. Pick

Pick Novice

Sarah, My wife is the skeptical one. We both agreed that a pop-up camper was not the way to go but she does like the idea of a table to sit at and a bathroom. She would prefer a small "vintage" trailer. However my plan is to retire and travel around the country. Pulling a vintage trailer all over the place sounds like a recipe for disaster. Although she isn't kicking and screaming she will be dragging her feet all the way to Necedah. My hope is she will be swayed as Mick was once she can see and experience the CI. The other,hopefully, saving grace is what some people find a nusisance. Every curious look, question, or "tour" will be fun for her.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

6. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Every one has a different idea about what is comfortable for them. The thing about a bathroom is someone has to clean it. Some one has to empty the black tank and treat it.
    The outside kitchen is so easy to clean and you can make it as big as you want by adding extra table and dish washing station. If you are a social person outside is where you would rather be. Cooped up in a tiny kitchen cooking is not where I feel comfortable.
    The 560 with the sofa gives you a place to sit in bad weather or if you just want a break from the social stuff. The storage makes everything handy to reach and once you get organized you will know where everything is.
    But I think it works best for people who like to take the minimum amount of stuff and be organized. My cupboard space is working out great so far. Plenty of room to put in my clothes and personal stuff. If you like to take 10 extra pairs of shoes you might not like it. Or you might have to have a closet in the tow vehicle. I'm just a t-shirt and levi kind of girl.
    I haven't had mine long so more later on how it works out. So far I love it.

7. Pick

Pick Novice

Pat,
    I'm with you. Wouldn't like to cook inside a camper of any size and I know who would get to clean and dump the bathroom! We will be getting a large tv because she is not so much a tee and jean girl and I am organized but like to be able to say "yeah I've got that" for whatever need. Getting close to a build countdown for our 560 and I can't wait to see what all will fit. I know you had a year to collect things are you useing everything? Is there anything you bought and wish you hadn't?
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

8. Mick'nSarah

Mike, maybe once she sees it, sits in it, tries some things out, and you show her some nice campgrounds her tune will change! I am not a typical girl though...like Patty, I live in jeans and t-shirts. Part of that is NW living, the other part is the comfort!

9. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I had most of the kitchen stuff from tent camping and I always went through it every time I came home and took out stuff I didn't use so had that pretty much down to a minimum.
    I didn't realize I would be getting wheel chocks with the trailer so had bought some of the yellow ones. The ones that come with the trailer are so much nicer. They are small and mated together in pairs with a rope in between.
    I got some nice bedding. A wool comforter and mattress pad which I like. Flannel sheets which I'm not too crazy about. As soon as I got home I changed to regular sheets.
    On the way home when I needed to level up the trailer I discovered that cranking up the trailer took a lot more effort than I was willing to put forth. As soon as I got home I found a ratchet, socket and extension to jack up the trailer. They are easier to pack than that silly crank thing that comes with the trailer.
    I also like to have what I need when I need it. I made a tool bag out of backpack material and put zippered pockets on it to hold the tools I thought I might need. It folds nicely and fits in the under bed storage. I also got small socket sets in metric and inches.
    I did buy a couple of little racks that I thought would fit the right storage cabinet in the galley and they didn't work out but I got them at the second hand store.
    When you start getting organized you will be surprised at how much storage you have. It has been really fun so far.

10. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Good idea on the socket set for the cranking that can be hard work if the ground is not level. I keep planning to make a wooden wedge that I can adjust the level on so I can back the CI up on to the wedge on one side to make this easier. My father used to have one for his trailer years ago so I have a pattern in mind.

Also don't forget to check your TV wheel brace fits the trailer wheel nuts my does not so I carry a spare bar and socket for this.

When did trailers start coming with Wheel chocks I missed this?

11. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Unfortunately this is the sacrifice I have to do clean the porta potty to get Annie in a campground (my little Princess) we put this in the side tent but it has sat in the corner of the Northern Breeze on the odd occasion. I also carry a small beach shelter pop up that has a zippered front for emergency use if necessary.

12. Pick

Pick Novice

Well if it is for a princess no problem. Mine is my five year old grandaughter Violet. We will have a side tent and a porta potty the type with the disposable bag. Shouldn't be much to deal with.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita