Implemented Members Map

Discussion in 'Improvements & Suggestions' started by Evan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I having been toying with the idea of adding a new feature to the forum software. This kind of programming would be a new experience for me, but I like a challenge.

Automated map pins based on your User Profile
    Type in your location, 550 or 560 and your color-coded pin is automatically added to the map.

I'm not entirely sure I can pull this off, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Evan,

I'd definitely like this feature. Neat idea. Thank you for doing such a great job with this forum site. It's been a valuable resource. I'm still in the planning stage for my CI purchase.

Deb & Kyle

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Evan,

I like it.

Jean

4. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Evan great idea we like it and again thank you for the forum it's a great place. :)

5. Alan Hill

Alan Hill Novice

Evan,
    I agree that all of the above are great ideas. I also have a pretty good idea of how much of your time this takes up. Thank you!
    Alan

6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Wow, all great ideas Evan. It would be nice to have those features, for sure!

7. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Evan, you must have gotten some wind in your sales when you were on the bluff! this looks like a big project - something to tickle your little gray cells. All the ideas sound great. Thanks for all you do for us I know the time programing takes!

8. Evan

Thanks for the feedback, guys and gals. I'll give it a go and see what happens. If there are any PHP programmers out there that want to donate some time let me know. Otherwise, there will be a lot of trial and error... :)

9. Evan

Latest update on new features...

Check this out:

http://www.campinnforum.com/googlemaps/phpsqlajax_map_v3.html

It might not look like much, but the pin data is being supplied to Google by the Camp-Inn Forum server.

This is a big first step in getting the Interactive User Map to be linked to everyone's profiles.

10. Ken & Peggy

Re: Latest update on new features...

Well, whatever data you're using is showing up nicely. Could the pin colors be coded to match various data types?

11. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I like it. I feel a little sad about you, though Evan--apparently you are lost. But just look around, you are near Pike Place Market. Just go shopping.

Seriously, though--very cool.

12. Evan

Ken, the pin colors are coded as follows:

prospective: white
    in production: yellow
    550: green
    560: blue
    homebuilt/other: brown
    traveling: red

That part is actually working already. (I probably just needed more than one of each type for you to recognize the pattern).

13. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I like that feature, "Snugglebug" is now in Smithville. LOL

14. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Hey it changed back. Hmmmmf

15. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Evan I was wondering if the map would give the street address as well as city so I tried one of our schools address so as not to put my own in and it does pin point the exact location. Is this a security risk?
    Thinking of the stolen trailer in AZ.

16. Evan

George - I haven't figured out how to save the settings for the pin yet... :)

Pat - You have a good point about security. It could potentially be an issue, and although most people wouldn't input their street address, some people might naively put the whole thing in.

I've got a couple of ideas:

1) Only registered users will be able to see a map location. (This will weed out 99% of the evilness).

2) Drop some resolution off of the geotag. For example, a lat/lng with six digits after the decimal place is accurate to within 4 inches - yikes - but, with only three or four digits it would be within several miles. So, if I only store the first several digits, after the pin is saved it will display somewhere within the city only.

3) I can also add a bit of a random twist to the pin location. So, even if you were to type in your actual street address, if you zoomed all the way in on your pin, it could be anywhere within a 10 mile radius. Keep them guessing...

4) After I've taken steps like these, an additional level of security will still be available to each user. For more concerned users, only enter your State or perhaps "Western Washington".
    If you are very very concerned, try "USA" or even "North America", or "Earth". - wait, that last one may be too much information... :)

17. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Evan,
    good fixes and maybe a note somewhere to folks to just enter their city and state. ?

18. Evan

AJ - the new map is almost done with the testing phase.
    I'll be able to put up a public link soon.

Step 1 was adding support for Canada. This is done.
    Step 2 will be linking it to the forum. That may be a ways out...

19. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Evan very nice feature. :)

20. Ken & Peggy

Nice Evan, very nice!