Implemented Members Map

Discussion in 'Improvements & Suggestions' started by Evan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I figured out how to get a map onto the profile screen.
    View somebody's profile, and you will see the new User Location Map. (At this point, everybody lives in Seattle - the map isn't connected to data yet).

2. Evan

Update on Live User Map:

View my profile and you will see a map with my location.
    This is geodata that is being pulled from my profile - including the blue pin for my 560.

Currently, all other profile's have blank geodata, so the maps will be at the equator, south of Greenwich (0,0). Zoom out far enough and you'll see Africa.

The 'View Profile' screen is done. Next step is to modify the 'Edit Profile' screen to allow users to set their pin location, thus creating their geodata.

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Nice work.

4. Evan

All of the existing geodata from the old map has been moved into the new profile driven map. Click on your profile to see your location. I don't have the interface to change your pin location done yet, but you can change your pin color. Edit your profile, and look for the drop-down box.

I also added a field for 'Teardrop Nickname' to the User Profile.

5. Ken & Peggy

Nice features Evan. Looking very good.

6. Evan

Added the mini-map into the Edit Profile screen. The location on the map can't be changed yet, but the pin color on the map will change according to your selection.

Also, imported the pin colors from the old map into everybody's profiles.

7. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Evan great job now how about flying east for the camp outt so we can applaud your work!!

8. Evan

Next year. :)

9. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Evan, I was trying to figure out how to get there next year too. Maybe we can caravan out! Wanna meet in Spokane? :) Laddy has been looking for Katie at every campground (or camping trip we take). He was sure he saw her all over California and a few times on the Oregon coast.

10. Evan

Sounds like a plan, Sarah.

11. Evan

You can now set the location for your own pin. Actually, you can set two different pins: Your home location (with the appropriate color for your trailer), and a second Red pin for when you are on the road.

The next step is creating the main map that shows all the pins simultaneously. It should be great fun to be able to see all those red pins moving about...

Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!

12. Ken & Peggy

Evan, that is very cool. It seems that the 'current' location is the one shown in our profiles, right?

Next, we want to see our current positions in real-time, moving around on the map like little ants...

I've made myself the first arrival at CICO.

13. Evan

If you check 'On the Road' then your profile will show your Current location with a red pin. Otherwise, your normal home location will be shown in your profile.

14. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Evan

Just a quick test to see how the map is working. Where do we see the map of home base and where we are based on the settings in the profile?

And I just found the map and I am swimming off of the west coast of Nigeria :)

15. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Gary, are you sure you aren't using the new iPhone map? :) ha ha!

16. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Evan I move the pin to my street and it keeps moving to the middle of Staten Island what am I doing wrong. :)

17. Ken & Peggy

Gary,
    Under 'My Stuff', 'Edit Profile', look for 'Home Location' and 'Pin Location' boxes. If you check the box 'on the road!', your Pin Location will be shown when people view your Profile. Otherwise, your Home Location will be shown.

Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page once you've entered your Home and Pin Locations and click the 'Submit' button.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

18. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

No, IOS6 puts it in southern siberia.....

19. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Ken

If I check on road things are good. With it turned off I off the west coast of Africa. If I drag it and the hit submit I go back to swimming. Arms getting tired, slosh slosh slosh.....

20. Ken & Peggy

Oh that doesn't sound good can you backstroke until Evan gets here