MN City Park Grand Marias Municipal Campground

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Jean W, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Bob and I enjoyed a wonderful long weekend on Minnesota Lake Superior shore base camping from Grand Marias Municipal campground. Early August I made a reservation for site 165 for 2 nights. Upon arrival decided we wanted to stay for 3 nights. Campground gave us an option of 2 non-reservable sites, #80 and #101. We took 101, which is on the main road, directly in front of the marina.

Ding, ding, ding, we were the winner of the best site in the campground. Large, level, fantastic view, nearby water. Site has no electricity.

The campground has 300 sites, at least 75% is permanent campers. If you look at the map, use the creek bed as a diver line, from creek bed to lake shore is permanent campers.

My experience is very biased based on site 101. I am sure if we had been placed in typical weekend sites, there would be no recommendations.

We used bathhouse 01, which was large and clean, newer building compared to bathhouse 02. There are 2 additional bathhouses, which I did not utilize.

Typical camping units of large 5th wheels, 2 airstreams, 3 Scamps, tents and two CampInns!

While driving Hwy 61 north, pulled over at a wayside rest near Cascade River State Park. I exited the car, the first thing I see is a 560 parked right behind us, and the owner walking toward us. Oh, my was I shocked! But the true enjoyment was for Bill from Austin, Mn to find another Camp Inn in the wild. We exchanged greetings, learned that we were staying in the same campground.

Anyway, I highly recommend site 101 in Grand Marias campground. Be prepared for lovely views, about 3/4 mile walk downtown, and lots of lookers, and seeing various boats in the harbor.

Jean

2. tjcrebs

tjcrebs Novice Donating Member

Re: Grand Marias Municipal Campground,Minnesota

Great review Jean! Superior must be nice in August, but the EF song warns of the winds of November.

Regards, T & Joy