IL State Park Moraine View State Park (Leroy)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by GinaNBob, Jun 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

This is a wonderful state park just west of Bloomington, IL. It is on a lake that has a motor limit so you can kayak without worrying about being swamped. Fishing is supposed to be good too. Hiking trails. Paved areas for bike riding. Best sites are along the lake as you will get nice breeze. Most sites have some sort of shade. Saw many sizes of trailers and tent campers. Electric hookup. Picnic table and fire ring at each site. Free dump station on way out. $20 night and can use reserveamerica.com for reservations. We were there last weekend with an airstream rally and the park was almost full and was quiet. Nice find in Illinois.

Kevin S, Tour 931 and JeremyB like this.
  2. Camped here 3 nights and liked the park/campground a lot. Nice gravel sites with electricity. Plenty of shade in the campground. We are on B loop . The bathhouse is centrally located next to a playground. There a lot of handicapped sites here too. Sites 18 & 19 back to the water of Dawson Lake. There is a boat ramp in the campground. Firewood & ice for sale at the entrance.

Water was not the best tasting and a had greenish color to it. Some of the spigots are not working. Took a while to find one that works.

You can rent kayaks & paddle boards at the day use area. There is canteen there too. A few nice trails here too for hiking. Not far off the interstate between Champaign & Bloomington in Illinois, so it could be stopping spot if traveling through the area. We were here midweek & it was pretty empty. Cell service was just ok .

Moraine View State Recreation Area - Parks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022

3. I like to do the reviews for anyone too see, but the forum makes for a good spot for storing reviews for myself in case I want to go back. I’m at my daughter’s place right now & we are just watching auto racing all day.

Kevin S likes this.