Move shore power outlet to other side of trailer

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Evan, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

It seems that most of the RV hookups are on the sink side of the camp site, but the shore power outlet is on the opposite side of the trailer (near the battery, of course). Even though it would mean runing a few extra feet of wire, I think it would make sense to move it to the other side - near the water and gas. Then the extension cord wouldn't have to be run underfoot across the campsite.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

I will try to give an explanation on this. Here is the main reason the shore power outlet is located where it is:

To keep it away from the water. :eek:

If the pedestal ends up on the sink side of the teardrop, we just run the extension cord under the trailer & out that side. This keeps it out of the way. It then works the same as if the outlet were on that side of the trailer.

The bigger issue, we have found, is (in some campgrounds) the distance from the camper to the pedestal. That's when we have found the extension cord to become a hazard. For example, where we hold the Camp-Inn Camp-Outt, the distance from the teardrop to the ped can be anywhere from 10-25 feet.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

:cool:

3. Evan

Perhaps I just need to buy a longer extension cord. :)
    I always end up running to the neighboring post because it won't reach under the trailer to mine. ...sigh... trying to keep things small and compact...

4. Hi,

I run a " Heavy Gauge" long extension cord & wrap it around my rear bumber, to keep it off the ground. I'm currently coiling the excess inside of an empty , 5 gallon " Home Depot Bucket " , which could be covered if it rains tooo much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lake Powell Trip: December 2009/Jan 2010
    L.M.

5. Evan

I'm curious about why you blank out your license plate. Is this a security issue I should be thinking about too?

6. Well Evan, Unfortunately the " internet " is a window to the world , and I prefer not to include photos of myself, or my Lic#.

However, we might one day meet in person, @ a " Teardrop gathering " ?

L.M.