New 550 Homebased In San Diego

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by dale, Sep 25, 2016.

1. dale

dale Newbie

I picked the 550 (#836) on September 12th in Necedah and drove back to San Diego. I have a 2015 Mercedes 250 GLK diesel tow vehicle. My mileage averaged 31-33 driving to WI and high 20's low 30's with the TD. The mountains in Colorado were no problem with the GLK. I have most of the options...AC, heater, brakes, table extensions, side tent with fly and bamboo interior. I plan to do local weekend trips and longer trips after I retire in a few years with a move to Seattle. I do want to drive the route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica pier, CA. I met a full timer in a TD (this is her home!) near Zion who told me that I must name my TD....ok name is Brandi.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    birder526, Jenn and jfocallag like this.
  2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

That is great fuel economy! Does anyone else get anything close to that with their TV? It would be cool to create a table listing tow vehicles and fuel economy with and without the TD and with and without rock tamers or other similar mudflaps. We go from low 30s to low 20s with our 2010 4 cylinder outback w rock tamers towing a 560. Knowing which type of vehicle gets the best towing fuel economy would influence future vehicle purchases.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I suspect the best fuel economy while towing would most often go to a fuel efficient diesel engine like those from Mercedes, Volkswagen and others.

But what is "best" will always be variable. Fuel prices fluctuate, and mileage will vary based upon many variables. There is also a bit less availability of diesel in some rural areas.

The interesting thing will be the electric SUVs. They are likely to have great torque, but would also be limited by the availability of a method of charging. But I suspect their range might not be greatly impacted by towing a teardrop.