New Mexico Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by rotus8, Apr 10, 2015.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Hi All, we are in the planning stages for a trip to New Mexico in June. We will be in the Santa Fe area for a family visit and then want to spend a week or so before heading back to California. June has the potential of being rather hot so places at higher elevations will probably be best. If you have done this area, we would love to hear about where you have visited (no, not Wallmart :eek:).

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Bandelier National Monument. I got a cheap flight to Texas because it was extremely hot down there during August. $185.00 round trip. Rented a car and spent two weeks touring New Mexico. It was hot but dry heat as they say so not as hot as 106 would be in other places. I would love to go back and spend more time there. Lots of ancient history. New Mexico seems to have everything. Desert, beautiful rivers, woods and high plains with open range. The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad is a beautiful half a day ride through all kinds of country. Narrow gauge railroad once used for silver mining. I went in the 90s so don't know how it may have changed.

3. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

We live part-time in Santa Fe and we'd enjoy meeting you when you are in town. If our schedules align, maybe we can join you camping with our 560. As for best places, we can't personally recommend much, since our TD camping has been out-of-state so far. Actually, this coming summer we will be exploring the area with our trailer. When we tent camped, our favorite spot in the region was in southern CO, but only a few hours from Santa Fe: Teal Campground at Williams Reservoir. It is about 25 miles north of Pagosa Springs, CO. It is a remote spot overlooking a beautiful small lake and perfect for TDs. There is a trout stream below the dam. There are pit toilets, but no showers.

Trip Advisor has some very good recommendations for camping in northern NM, many of which we are familiar with, but haven't camped at camped at. Here's a link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...rthern_New_Mexico_Best_Places-New_Mexico.html

Please message me if you'd like to meetup in Santa Fe or at a campground.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We camped just outside of Santa Fe in Black Canyon campground - which is currently showing as 'closed'. Not sure if that's permanent or not. It's right next to Hyde Memorial state park, which is also a nice spot. Great hiking and beautiful country. We were there in June - nights were mid 40's - perfect sleeping with doors open, screens in, and a down comforter. I think elevation is 5,000 feet or better.
    Another awesome place not far from there is a free campground along the Chama River, not far from Abiquiu, NM. It's a primitive camground, right on the river, along a 13 mile gravel road that dead-ends at Christ in the Desert Monastery, a wonderful place to see. Georgia O'Keefe's Ghost Ranch is right in that area as well.
    We loved that whole area and writing this makes me want to head right back. Enjoy your trip!

5. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Most of the Forest Service campgrounds in northern NM are open seasonally, usually mid-May or June 1 through mid-Oct. Details can be found on the Forest Service website listed above.

BLM campgrounds tend to be open year round, but there are exceptions. Info is on their website:
    ​​
    http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation.html

6. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We are doing the same the first of July but leaving from Iowa with stop overs in Dodge City KS and Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado which is about 260 miles from Santa Fe. We are going to stay at Riana Abiquiu Lake (Corp of Eng.)north of Santa Fe. Spending a day in Santa Fe then back. Next day heading to Taos NM a must see then to Raton. There is a State Park between Taos and Raton I have stayed at before which is quite nice. Then spending 3 days at Blue Lake a US Forest Service Campgroud in SE CO off of Highway 12 near La Veta CO. Located at the base of the Spanish Peaks, this is an awesome drive very scenic and little known. The campground sits on the edge of a large meadow and small lake totally off the grid. Many of the campgrounds I have stayed at in NM are first come bases although some do offer reservations, of those I have found in planning our trip are already booked particularly the State Parks and National Parks which also offer first come sites. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

7. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

There is a campground at Great Sand Dunes NP - worth staying there at least 1 night to catch sunrise and sunset on the dunes. Pick up groceries at the nearest town before you get there. Limited options at the dunes. Nice little restaurant out there that is open exactly 8 am to 8 pm.

Drive via Antonito, CO to Chama, NM is beautiful - then on to Santa Fe. spelling might leave a little to be desired -

8. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

I tried to get into the Dunes NP campground but booked solid. We are there on the weekend of the 4th of July so have a site at San Luis SP just 12 miles to the SW. Didn't want to risk the first come first serve sites there is not much out there for options, the privately owned campgrounds didn't appeal to us. We were at the Dunes NP several years ago and loved it! R

9. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Never been there in the summer. Usually has been late April or early May or late September. Spring was neat one year because there was the river running through in front of the dunes just off the parking lot. Quite a different perspective - I guess it doesn't happen every year.

10. rotus8

Has anyone camped in the Río Grande del Norte National Monument? There seem to be a number of very small areas, and little information on availability.

11. Peg

Peg Novice

12. rotus8

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and guidance. Now for the actual reading and planning.

By the way, in looking at the above blm review, I saw an ad for some southwest guide books that look like just what I want, HERE. I'll buy one and probably end up getting several, they sound quite good for boondockers (us).

13. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

A place most people probably miss, but that I found fascinating is El Morro National Monument. It's a bit out of the way south of Rt. 40 but still easy to get to. There is a campground there also. Check it out.

14. rotus8

15. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

... and of course, last but not least, Roswell...

[​IMG]

... they are watching YOU....
    foil works as I finally discovered...

fun...

16. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

There are a few campgrounds north of Santa Fe that are nice. There was one near Jemez Springs (route 4)that was very cute, only about 17 sites and full when we went by. That campground is still pretty low elevation but as you head into the hills from there you gain elevation fairly fast. We headed into the hills and stayed at Redondo Campground which was quite large.
    Have fun,
    Larry and Peg

17. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

One other thing about the AllStays app, we found it very helpful to "preload" maps anytime we had wifi, saves on data and works when you don't have a cellular connection.