No Knead Artisan Bread

Discussion in 'Breads' started by Ken & Peggy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

This is the 1st bread I've tried, and it is VERY good! The crust is nice and crunchy, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No Knead Artisan Bread

Recipe:

3 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon of any yeast
    2 teaspoons of salt
    1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Add water, and thoroughly mix with spoon. Dough will be sticky and wet.
    Cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for 12-18 hours. (yes, hours!) Flour your preparation surface, and remove dough from bowl onto floured surface. (Check out those gluten strands--wow!!). Flatten the dough slightly with your hands making a semi-rectangle shape. Fold two of the sides/edges to the middle, repeat with the other two sides. Sprinkle some corn meal on your preparation surface, flip the loaf over, seam side down. Cover with a cloth, and let rise for two hours. 1 1/2 hours later, preheat oven (with dutch oven and lid inside) to 500 degrees for 30 mins.
    Place loaf into dutch oven (using your hands, a pizza peel, etc.), cover with lid, and bake at 500 for 30 mins. Remove lid, and bake another 10-15 minds depending on how caramelized/crispy you want your bread. Remove loaf from dutch oven and let cool 15-20 mins.
    Eat and enjoy!!!

2. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Nice looking bread Ken. Have you tried the method that is the basis for the "Atisan bread in 5 minutes a day". From this base dough you can make all kinds of breads.
    Once you start making your own home made bread it is all over. The aroma in the house is to die for, and of course the eats are tops.

OBTW the ABin5 recipe doesn't take 24 hrs to make, you can bake bread the same day the dough is mixed. I love it.

WWW.artisanbreadin5.com

Chuckwagon likes this.
  3. Ken & Peggy

George,
    Peggy made a loaf using that recipe - those same authors wrote an article in 'Mother Earth News' magazine (Dec09/Jan10), and it was great. I didn't realize it was the same recipe that you mentioned at the CampOutt. I will try that in the DO, too. Deadly stuff...

4. Oysterpot

What I like about it is the recipe makes enough dough for 4 loaves of bread. That which is not used at the time will keep up to 2 weeks. I have found that the dough doesn't rise any where near as much after the 1st week. It still is a good one to make up. That is what I use for my English style muffins.

5. Oysterpot

Ken,
    take the basic recipe, and add 2-4 Tbs of sugar, honey, sorgham, or Agave necter to it. The results are delightful. Especially with the honey.

6. Ken & Peggy

Thanks George, sounds good.

7. Ken & Peggy

No Knead Artisan Bread #2

This time I used one of the recipes that George mentioned - a wheat/multi-grain bread - that is also very good!

[​IMG]

I'll be over 180 in no time at this rate!

8. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Hi,
    I am a Dutch Oven enthusiast. Frankly, I camp to support my Dutch oven habit.

One of the best items I have ever purchased to help with bread baking is an EZ Doh. Here is their web site:
    EZ DOH Manual dough mixer

I am not in any way affiliated with them other than I really like their product. It is a bucket with a dough hook like on my stand mixer at home, on a hand crank.

It really makes mixing up a no-knead bread easy.

Evan and Van_and_Terri like this.