Non camp-inn mattress

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Brett, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Brett

Brett Newbie

My teardrop doesn't come with a mattress, so I'm looking at 4" memory foam ones at different places...like Walmart. It looks like the Camp-Inn is two inches shorter and narrower than a standard queen? Do I just cram a regular sized queen mattress in there? Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Hi, Brett. I believe the CI bed is a standard queen. After a little trial and error, we are using a queen mattress from Walmart, and like it a lot. This one is a total of 4" thick, composed of 2" of base foam and 2" of memory foam.

We live down the road in Santa Fe, NM. Maybe we can camp together in CO next summer!

3. Brett

Brett Newbie

Thanks! That's exactly the mattress I was looking at. It gets great reviews online.

And camping sounds great!

Brett

4. birder526

birder526 Novice

It would be interesting to see what others' general impressions are about the CI provided mattress. What do you current TD owners have to say about this?

5. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

My 560 came with both the CI mattress and a 1-2" memory foam topper that Mike & Carol put in. I have not taken out the foam topper and just tried the CI mattress so I can't comment.

However, the combination of that 2 mattresses are extremely comfortable. It is as good as my regular bed.

The CI mattress is more dense than the memory foam so it is supportive.

This seems to be a great setup for us. Had we ordered new, I was planning on getting a memory foam topper so having it already there was a nice bonus.

6. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

From my understanding the new mattresses for the CampInns are two sided. One side is firmer than the other. I was told there was some white stitching to show which side was up, and when I looked at my mattress there was no white stitching, so I think this must have been added after 2010.

We have added a 2" memory foam which works well in the summer. The CampInn mattress is quite firm and that gives a little cushion (everyone have varying degrees of firmness they like, and is like it a bit softer). The downside to memory foam is it gets really hard when it is cold, so it is something to consider. Some folks use a feather bed on theirs, which I have considered changing out to.

7. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Sarah,

It is not white stitching to look for. There is a small white X drawn on one end of the mattress. The X is biased towards the soft side of the mattress.

Brett,

Sarah brought up a good point many of our customers have run into. Memory foam mattresses tend to be too temperature sensitive when used in a camper. In cooler weather they get pretty dang firm. Like Sarah said, hers works great in the summer.

Cary

8. Brett

Brett Newbie

Thanks Cary! That's a good point about getting cold, I don't know how much cold camping we'll do but it's something to consider.

The down idea is a good one. Is a four inch down mattress going to be too soft? I don't want to feel like I'm sleeping in the floor with a quilt under me....?

9. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  10. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Cary,

When did CampInn start doing that? I have searched my mattress and couldn't find one.

Thanks!

11. Cary Winch

Sarah,

Ever since the mattress was changed to the composite two density construction. Can't remember when we made that change, 2008 maybe?

The way to tell would be to un-velcro the end of the mattress a little and peak at the end of the foam inside. The newer ones have two distinct layers of foam and the older ones have one single layer.

Cary

Cary

12. We added a 2 inch latex topper to our CI mattress and it is perfect. In fact it was so comfortable in the TD that when we came home after a month-long trip we could not sleep on the mattress we had on our bed! So now we have latex in both places :))

13. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

We use the standard mattress with a foam topper from Costco. For those, like us, who found their queen-size topper a bit wide, an electric knife (ours is Black & Decker) makes quick, neat work of cutting the foam down to the correct size.

14. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  15. Towbert

Towbert Novice

Searched for the small white X also - could not find it. Opened the Velcro & found two layers of foam - YELLOW and BLUE - which one is soft or firm?

TOWBERT
    2015 560 SUV Ultra #720

16. Towbert

Towbert Novice

Searched for the small white X also - could not find it. Opened the Velcro & found two layers of foam - YELLOW and BLUE - which one is soft or firm?

TOWBERT
    2015 560 SUV Ultra #720

17. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

TOWBERT,

My white x is where the Velcro is. I opened the cover and the white x is over the BLUE layer.

18. Cary Winch

Joan has that correct. Blue is the soft side. The X should correspond with the blue side.

Cary