Omelet McBiscuits

Discussion in 'Breakfasts' started by mcjimjam, Nov 12, 2013.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Here is a new breakfast recipe we just tried out this past weekend. It is a keeper, and will now become part of our regular breakfast repertoire! It is SO good, and we couldn't believe we ate the WHOLE thing!!!

Omelet McBiscuits (for 3)

1/2 lb. Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage
    5 eggs
    Small can (5 biscuit size) Grands Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup diced onion
    1/4 cup chopped pepper
    Butter
    Salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat 4qt./ 10" D.O. with 4-5 coals on bottom, and 4-5 coals on lid.
    Brown sausage, onions, and peppers, in separate pan.
    Whisk eggs, salt & pepper, stir in shredded cheese.
    Place browned sausage and veggies in bottom of D.O.
    Pour egg mixture over all.
    Place the 5 biscuits on top and tamp down a bit. Place a small dollop of butter on each biscuit.
    Cover, and cook with 5 new coals on the bottom, 12 new coals on top.
    Cook for 12 minutes, until biscuits are golden.

This recipe will feed two "big eaters" or 3 reasonable people!
    We used probably twice the listed amount of onion and pepper, because we like it!
    We put all of the coals on the top at the end of the cooking time, to get the biscuits to a nice golden brown.

2. sounds good will have to give it a try :)

3. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Jim & Jamie that sounds great I can almost taste it.

4. mcjimjam

And Steve, you will be happy to know that we didn't burn it!!!

5. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

It wasn't burnt it was crispy.

6. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I know I am a late commer to this party, but I will comment anyway. Hmmmmm that sounds like my kind of cooking. I think I will try it in my 2 qt oven, get it down to TD size. I am abig eater, but believe it or not I can't consume what can be made in a 1qt by myself.
    Oh by the way, Mcnugits, I am shopping for a "larger" skillet for doing my potatoes and onions in. LOL

7. mcjimjam

Hi George! We made the McBiscuits again last weekend, for ourselves, and two other couples. This time we made a double batch, in two 4qt/10" DO's. I used lots of onions and peppers, added an extra egg to each, and topped with 6 biscuits each. Required a little extra cook time, but still turned out great! We ended up taking home two leftover biscuits-worth for Jim's breakfast the next day!
    Like I said, it's a keeper!
    As for our "jumbo" skillet, so glad you didn't snag it at CICO! I put it to good use while preparing our Thanksgiving feast. I hope you find one of your very own, real soon! Maybe if you are extra good, Santa will leave one under your tree this Christmas!! Jamie

8. Dahava

Dahava Novice

I suddenly got really hungry!

9. mcjimjam

We love this new recipe!

[​IMG]
    Breakfast for our camping buddies

[​IMG]
    What to do with the leftovers? Eat them, of course!

10. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

They look delicious.

11. 1Door

1Door Novice

Looks great!!! Tastes even better!!!
    I cheated and put the biscuits in the toaster oven and fixed the eggs and sausage on the side!
    We have the same cushions for the picnic table.

12. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Jim & Jamie that sounded great and now it looks even better.

13. Oysterpot

Looks like you had a problem with food sticking LOL

14. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Oh, yum-yum-yummy! I wanna go camping with you!

Sue

15. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Great recipe!
    We tried it out last weekend. We went camping up on the central California coast with a 4 other rigs. It was cold in the mornings -in the 40's, but us hardy Californians braved it best we could. I got out my 12" DO and made this -I used 1.5 lbs sausage - cooked at home, 9 eggs (what I had) and 12 biscuits. It took a bit longer to cook - larger size, cold wet ground (we actually had rain!!!), etc.
    No pictures - as soon as all saw the browned biscuits, they dived in.
    GREAT reviews from all.
    Oh -and we saw grey whales, sea otter, and elephant seals.
    Eileen

16. michaelo

michaelo Novice

That sure reads delicious, sounds like you were camped at San Simeon. Susan and I are headed there next when we leave Santa Barbara county.

Michael

17. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Actually we were at Morro Bay State Park. We were with 4 other couples who HAD to have hook ups and MB has a a set of sites that that satisfied their needs. Personally I prefer San Simeon. Its very quite this time of year. Several years ago we had a bobcat spend most of the day in the site next to us! Very special!
    We went on a tour of Piedras Blancas lighthouse. They are offered Sat, Tues and Thurs I think. 85% of it was walking around outside, where we saw the whales. We enjoyed it. Overlooked some of the elephant seal beaches too.
    Enjoy!!

18. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Seeing a bobcat that hung around is interesting indeed. Susan saw a large very thin mountain lion in the Refugio campground coming back from the restroom at about 1 am last night. Kinda freaked her out. Thanks for the tip on the lighthouse, we'll put it on our to do list.

Michael

19. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Question about the recipe -why do you cook the sausage mixture in a separate pan?
    I cooked mine at home and brought it in the ice box. The heated it up in the DO before adding the eggs. Is there any reason I could have not started with cooking the sausage etc in the DO, then added the eggs and biscuits? I realize if their was a lot of grease, I would need to drain it, but???
    George, any thoughts/reasons?

20. Oysterpot

Eileen,
    Yes for sure you could make it a one pan meal, I would cook the sausage at a low temp, so that the sugars don't caramelize and cause "stuff" to stick to the pan. If the sausage is really greasy, drain some off. Just follow the recipe after that.

enjoy. I like the KISS method.