OR - Central Oregon Coastal town of Newport

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Mick'nSarah, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We just got back yesterday from a short trip to the coast (just one night). We traveled to Newport, Oregon, which is about 2 hours and 15 mintues from Portland (give or take, depending on traffic or which way you go). We had a great time and learned a lot as it was our maiden voyage as a family.

We stayed at the Newport Marina and RV park. We wanted to have modern conveniences our first time out, and this was the closest to town, the Oregon Coast Aquarium, the lighthouses, and a brewery! We also had a wonderful view!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, we were close to everything. When we got there, the RV office was closed for lunch, so we popped over to the Rogue Brewery for some lunch.

[​IMG]

After lunch, we checked in and dropped Dottie off in her spot, and headed over to the Aquarium. It is a nice little aquarium. It is a little pricey (I think we paid $18/adult), but it pretty cool. There are a lot of different types of marine animals and reptiles (I didn't remember there being that many snakes last time). There is also an aviary with puffins and other birds. We especially enjoyed the jelly fish!

[​IMG]

We wanted to check out the Historic Yaquina Lighthouse, but they close at 4pm, so we went down to the beach to play. The weather held out for us the whole time, which was great!

[​IMG]

After that we popped into town for a few groceries and headed back for dinner, a walk, and then snuggled in for bed. The next morning we headed to a beach with, what a local told us, has the best tide pools. We were hoping to beat the tide, but it was already in too far. We did play for a bit and were able to enjoy some beautiful views. We also got a quick family photo (our dog is not fond of having her picture taken).

[​IMG]

When the tide was high enough for us, we headed down the road to Yaquina Head Light House. As it is a state park, it will cost you $7 to enter, but it is a 3 days pass, which is handy because they have several hiking trails and things to see. You can walk up the steps of the lighthouse to the top if you are taller than 42" (the lad was 41.5" and was denied access, which was really disappointing). It is a lovely place to visit though and you can see seals and whales (if they are in season, which is from Dec-June).

[​IMG]

When we had finished lunch, we hopped back in the car and headed for home. Dottie worked out great, we had a great time, and are looking forward to our next trip out!

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Nice pictures, Sarah. We love to travel the Oregon coast whenever we can.

3. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Wow! Looks like you had a great time! Put some thick soled shoes on that boy for your next trip! Maybe he'll "measure up!"

Being from South Texas and seeing Galveston Beaches and Florida Beaches, it seems so weird to me to go to a beach in the winter and see rocks! I'm used to sand! I'd love to see that area! Thanks for the pics!

4. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We have some wonderful sandy beaches too. It can get warmer in the summer (weather-wise)...high 70s. There is always a nice wind (lots of kites on our beaches). The water is actually a little warmer in the winter (it is due to the currents and not the air temperature). It is in the 60s, and the surfers wear wet suits to keep warm...but they love to be out there. I guess we have some great areas to surf and kite board. We also have areas of the coast that are cliffs. It is an amazing landscape that really varies. This area (Newport) and south have sand dunes. We were teaching out little guy to sand surf down them this weekend (just the little ones...they get huge just south of Florence). From Newport south is really the area I love best and my favorite place is a small town called Yachats (pronounced yah-hots). It is really beautiful.

5. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Great Pics - I love pictures taken of the backs of folks - they alway seem to have a lot of intrigue - "where are they going?", what are they seeing?" etc.

6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I’m at South Beach right now.
    7F92F2DC-6D26-4A40-BC0A-376ECD86530E.jpeg