OR - Silver Falls, Oregon

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by fpoole, Sep 12, 2014.

1. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Planning a camping and photo tour of the Great Silver Falls, Oregon camping area.

[​IMG]

It's been on the list for a few years now and since "Camping Season" is now about to start, end of Sept, trip planning begins.

It looks like the State Park will do nicely they are always clean and well kept, something WA state could take a closer look at.

Anyway, I thought there was a topic on this already, but searching was -0- so making this.

What they said:
    "... Waterfalls: Where else can you walk behind a waterfall? Check out the famous South Falls and see what a 177-foot curtain of water looks like from behind. It’s part of the Trail of Ten Falls, a spectacular, nationally recognized hiking trail that weaves through a dense forested landscape. The trail passes a series of breathtaking waterfalls along a rocky canyon, and descends to a winding creek at the forest floor. This nearly 9-mile loop is considered to be a moderate hike, with an overall elevation change of 800 feet. Several connecting trails with separate access points make shorter routes. For everyone’s safety— absolutely no pets....."

Planning on mid October to try to catch some of the Fall colors.
    I'll post more on my "OTRA" page, but just wanted to post for future Looky-loos... heheh
    Let the Camping season begin, "BKTS" be GONE !!!!! Yaaaahh Hoooo..

State Park

Map Location Here

(and Sarah and Joan are probably excellent references I'm sure)

Fun..

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Is this the one you were looking for?

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9172#Post9172

Not sure when you are headed but a few friends just visited and with the lack of rain fall, the waterfalls are not reaching their potential right now. They said it was nice, but nothing spectacular (like they usually are in wetter times). You might watch for a good storm to come through so you can see them running better.

If you like to bike, I would take it and there is lots of hiking in the area too. It is beautiful! Love it there. Enjoy!

PS - we aren't completely gone yet! I have a birthday weekend coming up celebrating moving into the next decade and think I might take off for a weekend, but thinking coast. We'll see!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. fpoole

Yep, Dat be d'one...

I'm not too concerned on the water flows, more on the turning of the leaves around them...

I used to bike, now limited hiking/walking/strolling heheh I figure the loops will be enough...

Gone?? gone where, did I miss something, you all moving?? England?? heheh... camping on the way over might be a little tricky... campfires are a bit of an issue...

fun....

thanks...

4. Mick'nSarah

No! I meant the BKTs! This K is still trying to camp. We'll see. We did just get back from England though. Good to be home.

5. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

NW Camp Out 2015. I would like some ideas as to when people would like the NW camp out. I am thinking of reserving us the group camp site at Silver Falls State Park.

I need to know by Oct 1st to be able to get a good date. I can only reserve 9 months ahead of time so that would mean sometime in July.

Hope to see your suggestions. This would be instead of Mossyrock.

Dave

6. fpoole

Works for me Dave, no Problem-O...

The only thing I'd be concerned about would be the Site availability. Middle Summer can be a problem unless they have "Group Sites", haven't looked yet.

Also Dave,
    Might be better served if you start a NEW Post under "Events" or have an Admin move Just that post, not my thread, so you have a Focused thread going and not combined with mine.

Subject it as you had it: 'NW Camp Out 2015 - Oregon - Silver Falls'

or something like that... That'll keep it altogether.

I'll have pics of it soon, so let me know if you need anything to reference with Photos...

Fun..

7. Mick'nSarah

Dave, have you had a look at the group site or stayed there? I am curious, because I drove through it 2 years ago while we were camped there. There was a central grassy area that was surrounded with pylons that would prevent any trailers from being on it. I don't remember seeing other good spots for trailers to go. I might be mistaken, or maybe there was another group site that I didn't see. Just curious. I love the idea of camping there. It is one of my favorite Oregon state parks and there is lots to do in the area.

As to our plans for next summer, we are still recovering from this summer, and I have an idea of places I am planning, but nothing is on the calendar.

8. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I have been there many times, but I will double check. They will not give us tent sites but say we can have a group rv sites. I only live about 35 miles from there so will keep everyone posted.

I like everyone else are trying to figure out 2015. Just around the corner. Think I will go back to Westbank, BC toward the end of July. We made the fist international gathering there and should be fun again.

I will keep everyone posted on whether Silver Falls is available for a weekend that would work for everyone. Having to book nine months ahead is a problem. Dave

9. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

For future posts to this thread please start a new thread under NW Roundup. I am not sure how to change the name of the thread but sure we can link back to this one.

Look forward to seeing many of you next year in Oregon.

Dave & Dixie

--------------
    Dave - I changed the name of the thread to NW Round-Up 2015

Evan
    --------------

10. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi,

At one point not too long ago, I did start a "NW Roundup" thread...not sure if it is buried out there somewhere!

11. Mick'nSarah