Our 2017 Tag Teaming Plans For May

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Les Izmore, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Tomorrow is Day 1 for our 2017 travels, though we have been camping since late April. Hopefully some of you might be camping along our route as we poke along. If so, we would love to get together and share a glass of wine with you. Expect us to start slow (short distances), and we will probably being doing longer distances toward the end of May, if we need to make up any lost time.

Here is a link to a Google map our planned route (we may alter our route and stay east of the cascades, if for some reason the campgrounds in the Cascades haven't been able to open yet). And below is a screenshot of what you will find in the link:

upload_2017-4-27_16-41-29.png
    Our anticipated routes for the remainder of the year are posted on our blog. If you are using a standard web browser, it is found in a link to the right of the blog post. Don't ask where to find it if you are using a phone - I have no clue.
    Here is hoping that the weather soon improves, and that more folks will want to come out and play!

2. Your October Map shows you coming to Anderson, SC. Hope it is a weekend and maybe can I can ride my bike with you guys. Do you have plans for where you are camping here? If you have an estimated date through this area check the Clemson football schedule because that will limit some campgrounds availability on weekends.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Hi!

Thanks for the heads up about Clemson. Aside from our route from Lake Erie to around Mount Royal, VA, that entire route is up in the air. Though our experience riding through SC last fall guarantees we likely will be crossing in the western part of the state, possibly along a route that you had suggested earlier. The only firm plans at present are to hang out with a friend in south central PA in early October, but we haven't started to contemplate how long we might linger there.

I had a 4th ggf who had been granted land in Newberry County, SC, so we may swing through there, since we have located his old property (now part of a National Forest). But going through or near Anderson is a fairly decent likelihood. So, yes, we would enjoy riding along with you as far as you would care to join us (I have made a note of that in our itinerary, so we will follow up when the time gets closer). After we leave PA we are not likely to have any set schedule, so we can probably time things to pass through on a weekend (and avoid any Clemson games). And it may give me an excuse to linger a while in Moore County, NC, where I would like to stop and do some genealogical research (a possible 5th ggf). I suspect we would pass through SC around mid to late October, but we don't need to be in Central Florida until the week of Thanksgiving.

We are fairly likely to attend CICO this year, and will probably begin serious planning for that stretch either around that time or possibly early in September, when we might have extra time on our hands while hovering around Seattle for a rendezvous with an old friend.

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.

4. Campgrounds in SC are going to be mostly National Forest, SC State Parks or Army Corps of Engineers once you are on the SC-Ga state line. Of course you will have commercial ones too in some places. That is great weather that time of year since the oppressive heat is gone. In Anderson, there is Sadler's Creek State Park and the Corps Campgrounds on Lake Hartwell. Some of the Corps ones close earlier than you would think too. When you get around to planning it out, let me know if you have any questions.

5. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

That is great to know! Further north we were thinking the elevation of the BRP and Skyline Drive might make it cooler riding weather than we like. It would be our preferred route, but only if the weather is warm enough. That is part of the reason that our route for that leg is unsettled. That, and the newfound desire to visit Moore County, NC to do some family history research. We will definitely seek your input once we get more details firmed up.