TX County Park Pace Bend Park, Austin

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Brian & Lucy, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Pace Bend is near where the Pedernales and Colorado rivers meet to form Lake Travis. It's a huge park with most sites unmarked and first come first serve. Only sites with power require reservations...and personally I don't like them...not near the water and stacked next to each other too close for me. We stayed along the cliffs on the West side of the park where the density of possible camping areas is light, perfect for the two of us. There are a lot of dead ends...not u-turns, but dead ends in this part of the park, so if you're not comfortable backing up just look for sites in the areas you can drive through...clearly shown on the park map.

The east side of the park is primarily wide open...camp under trees, out in the open, at waters edge for easy entry into the lake for kayakers...literally camp wherever you want. This part of the park is probably better for small or large groups. There are areas with some privacy, but expect more noise than the West side depending on the time of year.

All in all, one of my favorite central Texas parks once it starts to cool off. The crowds are more hipster than what you'll see at an RV park...that's good or bad depending on your perspective. Some teardrops, rooftop tents, and Vanogans, but 90% tents. Had a young couple ask to see our CI, and said we were too young to have two kids in college. So we love Pace Bend! :) The Ranger stopped by our site...was worried he say something wrong with how we parked. He said in 26 years as a Ranger he'd never seen a trailer as nicely built and asked the same questions we get from everyone else...thumbs up!

No camp store, but plenty of places outside the park. Bring your firewood or buy just outside the park. Lot of hike/bike trails in the middle of the park. If you have a kayak, bring it. Friends with a boat? Two boat ramps in the park.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Jenn, Evan and Tom & Diana P like this.
  2. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Just stayed at Pace Bend again, this time in the Mudd Cove area which is more open but allows you to bring a larger group. Camp anywhere you like...not 'spaces', just grass. Put your fire in a ring provided, or create your own. This used to be known as a bit of a party place, but I haven't seen that yet. There were several large groups, but the park rangers and police patrol frequently so seem to be keeping the peace and quiet. The other great thing...no reservations required unless you need power. So many full State Parks, this is a great back-up!

Attached Files:

Jenn, Tom & Diana P and Randy like this.