Pass-Thru Lock Issues

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Les Izmore, May 27, 2016.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Hi All!

Anyone have difficulty getting a key either in or out of the locks on the pass-thru/water & propane access panel? Earlier today I had a devil of a time getting my key into the lock on one of our pass-thru doors. I tried it on the water/propane access and there was no problem. I finally did manage to get the key in and get it unlocked, but then had a bit of a bugger of a time getting it back out. There doesn't seem to be anything lurking inside the keyhole, and I lubed it pretty with bicycle lube. It wouldn't be fun to have this fail on us completely, so hopefully there is some solution to this issue. Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer any help with this!

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

In the owners manual, it's recommended to lubricate with silicone spray lubricant, but you said you did that already...

3. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I agree, lubrication is the answer, but it seems to me that bicycle lube is the wrong thing. Lock specific lubrication has a thin solvent that carries graphite into the lock and then evaporates. Other lube doesn't travel well into the lock, and leaves greasy stuff that gums up the mechanism and captures fine dust. Something like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Thanks, rotus8. I suspect something got in the tumbler, it was just odd that it would it would also be difficult to pull the key out. After letting the lube sit in there for a couple of days and then testing it repeatedly it now works fine. But I think I'll get the Lock-ease.