Patching Curtains

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Les Izmore, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

This post is similar to a post by Rotus8 from last year, but here I'm only talking about repairing a damaged part of the curtain slide tape (which can be purchased from Amazon.com).

I decided after a very dusty few months last year that it was finally time to dry clean our curtains. When I took them off to do so, I noticed that the curtain tape was torn in two places where the plastic slides are attached to the tape. The dry cleaner wasn't interested in repairing them for us, so we looked for our own solution. We've seen other Camp Inns with this same problem, so figured it is worth sharing our experience.

Thanks to Rotus8 for posting the specifics of the needed curtain tape in his earlier post (we might consider adding the extra slide that he suggests, after we get our curtains reinstalled this weekend)! And thanks also to Mrs. Huff's class Home Ec For Boys, which I took in 1973. She is one teacher who I think of often, as the skills I learned in her class are skills that I use nearly every day of my life.

Repair is a simple matter of cutting out the slides that are ripping away from the tape. Cut off a piece of new slide tape, leaving maybe an inch of so of plastic on either end. Then hand stitch them in place (there is no need to pin the new tape down, since you will naturally being hanging on to it as you thread the needle through). You might need a thimble to help get the needle through the fabric, liner and two layers of tape, but even using a fairly fat needle it was possible to simply wiggle the needle to help ease it through.

CUT OUT THE TORN SLIDE
    IMG_20170322_165730943.jpg

CUT A PATCH STRIP AND SEW IT IN PLACE
    IMG_20170322_171040988.jpg

VOILA! THE PATCH IS BARELY VISIBLE!
    IMG_20170322_171054344.jpg

While we chose to put a patch on our curtain slides, it was also possible that we could have simply sewn the torn piece back down. We opted not to do that, thinking a patch would be a more permanent repair.

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Bingo! Nicely done Steve. Excellent demonstration of a curtain repair.

One note on this. We keep rolls of this glide tape on hand for when customers need repair sections or request the material to make their own personalized custom curtains. So, if anyone needs the glide tape Steve shows above please let us know.

Cary

Tom & Diana P likes this.