Planning a Trip to Alaska

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by KathyBob, Aug 18, 2014.

1. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

At Frank's (fpoole) request, am starting a thread re travel to Alaska. Hope others will chime in with thoughts, resources, questions, etc. Our trip, which started in August, 2013 was about a year in the planning. However, as soon as we picked up our trailer in August, 2011 Bob started having ideas; it took him about a year to persuade me that I might want to do this.

For starters, several folks (that we are aware of) on the Forum preceded us and we read their accounts closely:
    "Dave and June's Alaska Trip" can be accessed from the Camp-Inn website. Dave and June (Betsey's parents)used Betsey and Craig's teardrop in 2004.
    Kent and Kristin posted some pictures in March, 2010 but don't see a story.
    "Jim and Mary Anne's Northern Adventure" was posted on the Forum between 5-28-2012 and 9-15-2012
    FLMikeandCarol began and finished their trip ahead of ours. We kept each other informed of our travels, but our paths never crossed while on the trip. Their postings have great information and fantastic pictures.

Books we used to help us plan:

Kris Valencia, Ed. "The Milepost: Alaska Travel Planner." This comes out annually, usually around March, I think. It is a milepost by milepost (pretty much) index of the primary routes into and through Alaska from a variety of starting points. Initially, it is pretty confusing (I think) until you get familiar with it, because it covers so much territory. It is not something you buy on the day you leave home; you buy it months in advance so you can learn how it's set up. Our edition, which was 2013, also provided access to a website. I used that to make copies of the maps that I wanted to keep all together in "the notebook." It can be found at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.

Church, Mike and Terri Church. "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Alaska and Yukon Camping with RV and Tent." Rolling Homes Press, 5th Edition, 2011. This was very helpful and gave more information than the Milepost. The Milepost has lots of ads which clutter up your reading but this book has none. Of course, since it's not revised annually, some of the campgrounds no longer existed.

Dalby, Ron. "Guide to the Alaska Highway." Menasha Ridge Press, 2nd Ed. 2011. We used this book on and off. The author referenced fishing A LOT, so if that is one of your favorite activities it will be helpful. We are not fisher-people (except to eat it), so didn't use it as we traveled. He does include interesting stories, so would be a good book to read in your pre-planning stage.

Jenkins, Peter. "Looking for Alaska." St. Martin's Press, 2001. Jenkins is a reporter who, many years prior, wrote a book, "A Walk Across America." "Looking for Alaska" is an account of his 18 months living in Alaska, some of the time solo and some with the rest of his family. He "sampled" a variety of the lifestyles of Alaskan citizens: fishing, sled dog mushing, hunting in the bush, and on and on. A great read and it provided good insight into the challenges of living there beyond the May to September visitor season.

Caputo, Phillip. "The Longest Road: Overland in Search of America, from Key West to the Arctic Ocean." Henry Holt and Company, 2013. Loved this book! Caputo, his wife and two dogs rent an airstream and drive it diagonally across the US and back. Loved it not only because it narrated their Alaska adventures but also their encounters in the rest of the US and Canada.

Don't forget to access online tourism information.

There are a gazillion other books about traveling to and around Alaska.

Some things to ponder:
    If you're traveling to Alaska via roads (as opposed to exclusively ferries) you will be traveling through Canada. We spent more time/miles in Canada than we did in Alaska. It costs more to live in Canada (and Alaska), partly because goods have to travel more difficult routes and partly, we were told a number of times, because universal health care has to be paid for somehow. Food, gas, etc. etc. were all more expensive than in the US.

Customs was not difficult, but regulations can be confusing. We made a decision to not bring any fresh produce across but to add to the local economy by buying locally (PS, we do the same when we go into California if we can.) We also planned our trip so that we could cross the border at non-peak times.

Familiarize yourself with either the formulas to convert metric to US and vice-versa, or download a conversion chart from a conversion website.

Ask your bank which bank in Canada might have a reciprocal relationship or partnership. This could save you something on transaction fees when using your credit card or ATM. Also, ask your phone service how much you will be charged to make and receive calls, texts, use the internet, etc. We let friends and family know to email or wait unless it was an emergency. Also, if you are a snail-mail sender and can wait to mail from Alaska, you'll pay US postage rather than Canadian-across the border postage.

Note, you can carry bear spray but not mace across the border. We're not gun carriers so didn't research that.

Few Starbucks, many Tim Hortons. Mike and Carol's story will tell you where all the good cinnamon rolls are.

I'm sure that there are hundreds of other items that can be discussed but will leave this page for now! Kathy

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheheh... Ooops!!!
    Sorry Kathy, you put a lot of work into that and I have to say it's more than I was thinking but that much more help...

A Great Big THANK YOU !!!!
    and Bob, of course, it's a team effort to be sure...

fun... now.... I'm in Kent sooooo..... travelling to Alaskee via Pingo National Landmark (just joking)

3. birder526

birder526 Novice

Great great great information! We will take a trip to Alaska for sure. We are excited and know we will learn much from you!
    Best, Diane