Possibility of towing with my old muscle car

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by jodennis, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jodennis

jodennis Newbie

We have a 1969 Ford Torino GT with a 351W and a 3 speed FMX auto trans. Old car folks: would this safely tow a 560? Also, any ideas on a tow hitch for said car? The gas filler is behind the license plate, so it would be tricky...

People keep telling us the combo would look awesome, and I have to admit I wouldn't mind a few nearby weekend trips with that combo, but my Torino is sentimental and has a crazy backstory and I don't want to risk it just because it would look neat.

Thanks,
    Jolene

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

First off, welcome to the forum Jolene.
    2nd, what a great car!
    It should have no trouble with a 560. There are people who tow with 4 cylinder engines. Your small block V8 willdo the job nicely. As you said, the toughest thing may be fashioning a hitch. II'm sure someone here will point you in the right direction.
    Good luck.

3. jodennis

jodennis Newbie

Here's photos of the original Valentine's Day Torino, its demise, and replacement.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

They will look great together.

5. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

That second photo is a real heart-breaker. Poor baby. But the replacement is cherry. The only problem, other than fitting the hitch, would be keeping the trailer from becoming airborne.

Vaaaarrooooooommmmmm!!!!!!!

Camp On,

Sue

6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Ouch! A sad story, with a happy ending.