MD State Park Potomac River - Green Ridge State Forest

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by PlasticsMan, Jul 28, 2015.

1. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

Here are some pictures from our outing last weekend. The campground was Little Orleans Campground in, where else, Little Orleans, MD.

The Paw Paw Tunnel is close by and the hike through the tunnel, then up the trail over the mountain back to the other side was fun and had great views of the Potomac River. The tunnel was built 1836 - 1850 as part of the C&O Canal. It's amazing the tunnel was dug using early 1800's technology...

The C&O canal trail runs from the Washington, DC area west to Cumberland, MD. In Cumberland you can pick up the Allegheny Trail and ride all the way to the Pittsburgh area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Thank you for sharing! Sounds like a fun weekend! You peaked my curiosity and I just spent the past 2 hours lost in cyberspace researching about the C&O Canal and the Paw Paw Tunnel; which led me to this photo (@ the Paw Paw Tunnel) of American cyclist, Frank Lenz, around the world bicycle tour:

http://wypr.org/post/trekking-co-canal

which led me to study up on Frank Lenz (I love cycling!); which led me all the way across the country to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area in Oregon; which led me to basically every National Forest in Oregon & Washington; which led me to the countless mountains & waterfalls; which led me to a number of outdoor/nature photography websites with beautiful photos of these amazing places; which ultimately led me to discovering that my favorite photo from all these photography sites was taken @ Smith Rock State Park in Oregon.............and now I just want to hook up our CampInn & drive to the Oregon coast & camp & explore all these places & escape this 100 degree Texas heat for the next 2 months!

Bet you had no idea your little weekend outing post would go so far did you?

Casandra

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi Cassandra! Greetings from the Olympic Peninsula in beautiful WA. Loved your post and all the places it led you to! We left Texas heat back in April! The Oregon coast is gorgeous--it was our first time there. HAPPY TRAVELS!

4. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

Cassandra,

So many trails to ride & hike, so many campgrounds, so little time... I'm looking forward to retirement in about 15 years and having the time to wander wherever I feel like it much like your Internet wanderings...

5. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I know exactly what you mean! There are so many places that I want to go and explore and there just isn't enough time to do it justice in the measly 2 weeks vacation my husband is able to take at one time. How on earth am I supposed to drive our 560 from Texas and see Alaska in 2 weeks?!?!?

Casandra

6. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Wow! That looks like great fun. We'll be in the area later in September. Will have to look into it.

Camp on,

Sue