CA State Park Prairie Creek Redwoods SP (Orick)

Discussion in 'West' started by Mick'nSarah, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park - Elk Meadow Campground

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=415

After 3-days of rain in Oregon, and my car breaking down, we finally made our way to Paririe Creek, based on a suggestion from Jim and Sue. Elk Prairie Campground is the only campground at Prairie Creek SP that accepts reservations, which I didn't realize, but ended up turning up at the right place. The park ranger working the booth was really friendly and very helpful. She gave me loads of information on the park and surrounding area, as well as a huge bag of Jr. Park Ranger stuff for laddy. We are still going through the stuff!

Upon check-in, you are assigned your very own pesky chipmunk and Stellar's Jay, who will stay with you your entire stay. They really make you feel welcome, and like you packed the very best stuff on earth (the chipmunk ended up in my galley, jumping off the tree, onto my cooler stand and dashing in, and looking for something munchable, which was interesting and not too appealing). They say the bear boxes are really there, more for the overly intelligent birds than for the bears...regardless, lock your food up, or it will go.

[​IMG]
    Our very own, private, Stellar's Jay

[​IMG]
    Our personal pesky chipmunk

After a few rough days of traveling, we had planned to stay here for 2 days, and I wish we had stayed longer. The place is drop dead gorgeous. The campsites are large on the outer part of the loop. We were a good distance from the creek too, so mosquitos were not an issue. The Redwoods provide a bit of privacy and there are some shrubs and large ferns to help.Things are spaced out well. During busy times, I can see how folks might feel like everyone is there with them. The inner loop, especially near the bathrooms, has very little privacy at all.

The sites themselves are quite basic. You have a pad that is mostly paved, a picnic table, fire ring, and a bear box. There is plenty of room for friends with tents, a dance floor, and a medium sized band...spot number 21 was huge! There are centrally located water spigots for folks to share.

[​IMG]
    Our campsite, number 21

Bathrooms are nice, with flushies and sinks. Showers are in their own rooms and are the CA standard of $0.50/5-minutes. I found the rooms a bit dark, so watch your step.

The park boasts over 75-miles of hiking, which I wish we could have experienced more. 4-year-olds, it seems, don't like to 'hike'. So we went on several 'walks' (luckily, he doesn't realize they are the same). We kept it to the short walks around the campground, and just down the road, always with a destination in mind. The visitors center was pretty good, but not quiet as interesting as some of the others we visited on the trip. Still, it is worth popping in.

[​IMG]
    Looking up, to nature's ceiling

We also did a good portion of the 3-mile Cal-Barrel drive. There are no turn arounds that will accommodate trailers or RVs, so make sure you unhook. It is a really beautiful drive, that is only open seasonally.

[​IMG]
    Out for a little drive, with some big trees!

As for activities near by, we went to the Trees of Mystery (near Klamath). Orick is supposedly an outdoor persons dream, but like I said, we are working on making laddy more of an outdoors person, with stronger legs and didn't get to make full use of that area. Patrick's Point isn't too much further down the road, for more hiking, and the lagoons are just down the road also (we didn't stop this trip though). One other thing I want to go back and do are hikes along the coastal side of the park. The road in,is the same flooded road at the elk meadow, so I didn't make it. The Fern Valley hike is meant to be one of the most amazing and great for kids to walk. Next time!

The park offers fireside programs each night, and lots of elk viewing, steps from the campground. There are lots of smaller, shorter trails that take you through some amazing forest right in the campground as well, and we made good use of those. Just down 101 is another meadow with a very large herd of Roosevelt Elk, and that is fun to go watch (the road often floods after a rain, so make sure you check the depth...it was nearly 2' when we were there, and with the car troubles I had had, I wasn't willing to risk it...taller vehicles will have no problem). We pulled over and watched, even though we were further away. The elk were always there.

[​IMG]
    Elk Meadow, on the campground outskirts

We really enjoyed our stay here and next time through, will stay here again for sure. Hopefully longer than 2 days!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Sounds great - your pictures are wonderful!

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Thanks Ken! It is a hobby, and it has been back-burnered for a few years. I am trying to work my way back and find my inspiration again. Travel is a big part of that, and this year should be good for it! Lots of fun things in the works! The other thing I like to do, is create books for laddy. Each year, I publish a photobook for him, documenting that year of his life. I started doing it when I found out I was pregnant with him. We have 5.5 books so far, and I hope in the future, he can take them with him when he leaves home, and look back to see the fun we had. They are his stories. We always pull them out around his birthdays and see how much he has grown and changed. It is pretty amazing stuff!

4. David Olson

David Olson Novice

That is such an amazing area. I have never seen anything more awe inspiring than the Redwoods and Sequoia's It knotts my stomach up at the thought of cutting one of them down. We will be there next summer.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Sarah, I missed this response - what a great idea! I'm sure he's going to appreciate that as he gets older.

6. MartiVltori

MartiVltori Novice

Two years ago my wife and I took a 3 week trip from San Francisco to Seattle in our old teardrop. We spent 3 nights here at Prairie Creek. It was one of our favorite spots of the trip.

Campground was very nice. The redwoods of course were spectacular. Loved seeing all the elk especially on the beach. If you come here don't miss out on the hike up Fern Canyon. Truly amazing.