Priceless

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by ajs777, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Now that I've had some time under my belt towing our 550, I'm feeling pretty confident that I can maneuver it just about anywhere I want. For example (to set the stage) on our way to the CICO I actually parallel parked it on the city streets of Charleston, WV. In Kentucky, in the dark, I backed into a site with a 8'x30' pad with only one forward correction to get the TV in alignment with the trailer. When I stopped by Camp Inn I backed the trailer into a spot next to an employee's car. Michelle thought I was nuts for even trying such a thing since there is ample parking all around the factory...but we all know the male ego and I was feeling invincible.

Later Friday afternoon when most people were already set up and milling around ...and watching late arrivals, we pull into Castle Rock. We found a spot not far from the big blue tarp and I proceeded to demonstrate my skills. The way I wanted to set up was almost a 180 to the way I was facing ...no problem, remember, I can put this baby wherever I want. So, without much thought I whipped the trailer around well past 90° and then it happened ...a crunch that echoed across the lake. I jackknifed the trailer. As if it wasn't bad enough that I jackknifed the trailer I had to do it in front of fellow owners. I was motified.

Naturally my first thought was, how much damaged did I do to the trailer. As a testament to CI quality the front storage box stood up to my punishment, absolutely no damage to the trailer ...can't say the same for the Flex.

Fixing the bumper cover that I popped out - $0
    New taillight assembly from local Ford dealer - $447.50
    New taillight assembly from a parts wholesaler - $144.50
    Used taillight assembly from ebay - $90
    Lesson learned about over confidence and the expression on the face of the first person I noticed that heard the crunch - PRICELESS!

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

AJ,

From what I have been told, the crunch the tail light made was heard throughout the camp ground. Ouch!

Cary

3. Biggie

Biggie Novice

So sorry to hear of your little mishap. The echo of the crunch didn't quite make it to our side of the campground. I'll be passing your story along to my ever confident tow vehicle driver Terry. Never hurts to be reminded that nobody is perfect. :) - Julie

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Oh my gosh. Well we just drove into Castle Rock and turned the TV over to Jenn and she safely pulled us into a great spot. No male ego here so we usually unhitch and push or pull. At one campground this past summer we asked a guy for help backing it in and later found out he never backed a trailer before. Glad we found out after it backed it in sucessfully. Perhaps we will ask qualifications next time.

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I have a little kiss on my bumper from the Alcan. Best I can remember, it happened somewhere in Humboldt Redwoods National Park. It wasn't there before that, and I noticed it just after. Luckily I didn't hear anything, and there were some tight spaces. Happens to the best of us!

Glad you are finding parts at better prices, and thank goodness the trailer is still perfect!

6. So I am learning something new here. Any angle past 90 degrees is trouble?
    Good to Know! I'm sorry for your incident, A.J.. I know that the "shame" of it happening in front of others ("peers" no less!) must have been as painful as the damage itself.

7. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Rick,

…it is a "painful shame".

8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

At least it wasn't in front of Craig or Cary :D ...although I was a witness...and there was wincing & an audible "ooooooowwwwwww" from the general area. But better the TV than the camper...much easier to fix!

:cool:

9. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Thanks Betsey ...that makes me feel a whole lot better! :blush:

10. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

…I like the idea of turning it over to Jenn

11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Actually, it should make you feel better! Our reaction was because we knew exactly what it felt like as we've all done something similar. :cry:

So, welcome to the club! ;)

:cool:

12. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Thanks for welcoming me to the club :)

13. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sign me up!

14. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Let's see, at $15 a trailer... You'll be able to buy a whole new sliding glass patio door!

15. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Is this from IRG?

16. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Hey, A. J., talk to Jim about that.

Sue

17. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

They have a power one that is attached to the whatever it's called wheel.

My friend has it, a little big, 6x6 box, but works...

Here it is:
    http://www.eztug.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  18. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Looks interesting however after calling to get more info the recording says to call 847 265 6500 for more info and also states they are not in production at this time.

Dave

19. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I say scratching my head...

and I can't find any others that have the same idea... Weird...

20. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jenn sounds like you are stronger than you were when you last lived in a house!
    Fruits of a year tear dropping! That is good.