Prisoner of Zenda

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jim and Sue L., Jan 16, 2016.

1. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Not really. I suppose if Cary ever gets around to offering pontoons as an option, we could make it to Germany with Spamalot. That would be more than fun (not to mention crazy considering how wide the Atlantic is and we'd probably have to go the Asian route through the South China Sea...dodge Krakatoa...battle pirates of Borneo...shoot up the Suez...land at Istanbul. Hey! We could then follow the Orient Express! But I digress). Anyway, as it stands, this year we're stuck in the Bay Area fixing our house for sale. No long hauls! WAAAAAaaaahhhh..!

For a couple used to pulling 8,000 mile plus journey's, staying put in prime camping season is pure agony. Cabin fever is lurking in the dark corners already. So help us choose the dream trip for when we're finally free. Rout 66? A run along the southern states? Way up north? Where is your secret garden of wilderness joy?

Not Camping On Yet

Sorrowful Sue and Jim

So help us, Camp Inn family.

2. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

so you're out west wishing you were cruising, well, east, I guess. Can't go much further west than you already are.
    I'm stuck in the east (high of 32, low of 15 tomorrow), wishing I was heading south and west.
    Last January we hit Tucson then went south to Patagonia State Park, then east, hugging the southern border of the US. Long straight roads with no one on them except the occasional border patrol. Absolutely awesome.
    Stopped at Pancho Villa SP in NM. nothing but sand but a very cool little museum about Villa's incursion into the US. Then Davis Mtns SP in Texas. McDonald Observatory is amazing and only a short drive from the park. Don't miss the star party.

Then on to Big Bend. Did all three campgrounds there, eight days total. Basin was great, hiker's dream. Cottonwood, with the pair of owls mating above was equally so.

Cruise east and don't miss Seminole Canyon SP on Hwy 90 in Texas. Petroglyphs and a sweet canyon edge walk.
    On to Rockport Tx (near Corpus Christi) for a few nights at Goose Island SP. Beach camping if you want it.
    How far do you want to go? I can keep going ...

3. For us it would be the Great Smoky Mountains National Park or the Blue Ridge Parkway for nearby wilderness joy. In Tennessee, check out Roan Mountain State Park in June when the Rhododendrons are blooming or Big South Fork National Recreation Area. The Great Smokies can be crowded but try Balsam Mountain Campground and you will avoid the crowds. And if you do the Blue Ridge Parkway you might as well go into Shenendoah National Park in Virginia. We have camped at Big Meadows Campground, it is big usually only fills on the weekends. In my home state, South Carolina, there are four state parks on the coast and five in the mountains in the western end of the state. There are also some National Forest Servive campgrounds and there are several Army Corps of Engineer Campgrounds on three lakes on the South Carolina-Georgia state line. Good Luck, we are looking at the Grand Canyon and the Utah National Parks this summer.

4. Jim and Sue L.

How far? Well...we've been coast to coast several times and skipped up to BC and Alberta (fuel costs almost killed us), so please do go on. So far it's sounding fabulous, RD.

Jim has been squeaking about Arizona, New Mexico and points south east for a while now and I'm all ears about new places - or very old ones. But I have to admit I've often pulled up the breaks on the southern route for fear of twisters. Stupid, I know, but there doesn't seem to be a set season anymore and the idea of huddling in my jammies under a sink until the sirens stop blowing or worse - having our truck and trailer snatched of the interstate and dropped half way to Tierra del Fuego is a bit unnerving. But I'll dare it for some of those places you've mentioned.

And we can go a bit farther west...soon as Cary gets those pontoons on line.

Sue

5. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

.... and Sue, don't forget the most important thing on you Atlantic Trip.... Campfires.....

It maybe a little soggy, but Camp Inn Campers Adapt...
    Glow Sticks.. heheh, fun..

I have been looking around for "Routes" (currently in Quartzsite, AZ) and have found several itineraries that I've put on the list and when boredom sets in, I'll do them.

Top on the list, is the Transcanadian Hwy from coast to the lighthouse. Alaska, of course, but then knocking off the lower 48 just to get the map... heheh

Here are some of the sites I use, but basically just search for whatever I'm looking for.

I'm sure you've seen these before, but they do have options..

Road Trippers

(look under 'Guides')

Hmm... I can't find the ones i was looking for, Google is acting up, but there some sites that had the 10 best RV itineraries and fastest way to hit all 48 states in my case...

Since you just put a bug into my head, I found 2 more "user sites" with maps etc..

Good luck, I think Road Trippers has the best assortment of Places to go, things to do options..

and don't forget those glow sticks when you're driving at night and things get a little soggy past New York... heheh,

Campfires, fun..

LOLO's site

Drive Cross Countryk

and mobile apps to use on the road...

Camping aps

more fun..

and now working on this one... for Alaskeeee...
    North to Alaskeeeee

6. Jim and Sue L.

Yee-haw, Uncle Frank! That's a lot of info and thanks! You and RD have given me lots to digest. Hopefully this will keep the cabin fever bug at bay (some would suggest it would also keep me out of trouble, but we all know that's not going to happen in this lifetime).

We've been considering the trans-Canadian route, exploring Jim's family history all the way to Quebec and that sea captain who started the whole thing in 1740. Love his Canadian roots-eh.

And before any comments about Canadian bashing, we've traced some of his family to Hardesty in Alberta and they do say "Eh" there. So charming - I love it!

But back to the hunt and living on dreams this season. Love all the info and would enjoy even more.

Thanks!

Camping On In My Dreams

Sue and Jim - eh

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

We have also done this route and loved every minute of it. We really loved the scenery and birding.