Furnace Propane Furnace For 550 Ultra

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by birder526, Jun 16, 2014.

1. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi again and another question about the furnace option. First, has anybody used the furnace at over 3,000' elevation?

Does propane still function at colder and higher elevations?

Second, does anybody use a small ceramic heater (electric) in their teardrop, if propane doesn't work out?

We expect we will be in higher elevations at times when it is still snowy in spring, like Sequoia National Park. Just want to be prepared.

Is there a way to adjust the fuel to air ratio to allow usage at higher elevations, say 5000'?

On another note, has anybody used an "inverted gasification stove" (for hiking, for backpacking, or at your campsite)? These are portable, lightweight and use leaves and twigs for fuel. Interested in knowing if you built it or bought it (brand?) and your opinion.

And, we're psyched -- heard from Cary today that we're on the schedule for our 550 Ultra (for an April delivery)! So excited!

Michael and Diane

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I use a biomass stove for cooking. I use the BioLite stove. I have a review on my blog about it and also one for the grill. We love it and I seldom use the cast iron grill I carry ( I carry it for the griddle on the other side).

https://havekidwillteardrop.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/review-biolite-grill/

Not sure if that is what you are talking about. I really want their big stove that is currently in production for home. We need a new BBQ and that will eventually replace it.

As to the furnace, I am trying to remember if we have used it at that altitude. I don't remember if we did in Yellowstone or Grand Teton last year. Hmmm... That is definitely the highest altitude we have camped at so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Interesting question, it got me thinking about an issue we had with our furnace while camped at Guadalupe Mountain NP, elevation 5800 feet. The furnace stopped working on the 3rd night of our stay. The temps that night got down to the mid 20s. The propane to the stove was still flowing because I was able to heat up our cast iron fry pan and lid, wrapped them up in a towel and stuck them under the covers as a bed warmer, worked great. We had the furnace on at Big Bend NP when the temps got down to the mid teens at about 2200 feet with no problems. We had the furnace checked at an RV repair place in El Paso but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. At the time everyone thought that it was an intermitent problem, but now I think the altitude may have played a role. This may be a question for the folks at Camp-Inn, any thought guys?

Michael

4. Mick'nSarah

Jenn, your twig stove was a BioLite. I know that because I saw yours and fell in love. You can charge cell phones and other devices through the USB port on the device. Super slick. Best steak ever using the grill attachment too.

5. Mick'nSarah

Totally get that! You have other things I don't that would fill the same need. You gotta use what works for you! That is the beauty of individuality.

6. EdK

EdK Newbie

I live at 4500' in Salt Lake City, and the terrain is all 'up' from here. So I often camp above 5000'. I've used the furnace up to about 6700', and at temperatures down to about 10F -- so not especially cold yet. (See Bear's posts for insights on the furnace and propane at truly cold temperatures.) But so far, the furnace has worked fine.

I use hypervent under the mattress, and haven't had any accumulation of condensation there yet. But when I first experimented with the furnace, I tried using it to heat up the cabin before turning in for the night, and then turned it off 'til morning. I was warm enough in my down bag, but in the morning I found substantial condensation on the walls of the cabin, and especially the doors. And my sleeping bag was wet where it was in contact with the walls. Not surprising, of course -- the same sort of condensation occurs in a tent as well. (Temps were mid to low teens.)

So for cold nights I've now taken to leaving the furnace on, with the thermostat set about as low as it will go. And I leave the ceiling vent open a bit. And so far I've had virtually no condensation on the walls, and my sense is that the furnace doesn't come on very often during the night. I should also say that so far I've only camped alone in colder weather. Two bodies might put out enough moisture to require an upward adjustment of the thermostat, for comfort and dry walls, as might temperatures of single digits or below.

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi Jenn!

Thanks for all of the info! Great stuff!

We drive a 2004 Toyota 4Runner as our TV. And, we will not have a homebase other than finding a place or state where we can claim residency to get our plates. The teardrop will be home on wheels!

I have to check on Hypervent. I can't picture what it is. Google here I come.

Best,
    Diane

8. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi Sarah...

I have to check out BioLite too! It's great to get all of these ideas from this forum's family!

Diane

9. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi EdK,

Great info - glad to hear about your elevation and how you use the furnace. There will be two of us so it will be interesting to see about the nighttime condensation. Got to check out Hypervent too!

Best,
    Diane