TX National Forest Ratcliff Lake Rec Area, Davy Crockett Nat'l Forest

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Tom & Diana P, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

BLUF: highly recommended! In East Texas, off TX 7 between the towns of Kennard & Ratcliff. Singlehandedly built in the late 1930s by my maternal grandfather. (Not really; he had whole CCC company help him!) There is a small no-wake lake with swimming beach and fishing docks. About 12 tent-only sites along the lake, and more than 20 electric or E+W sites better suited for RVs of any size. (The tent-only sites are generally not good for even a teardrop camper; the road is narrow and the parking pads too short.) All electric sites are $20, $10 w/ Senior or Access Pass.

To say that I'm partial to this campground is putting it mildly, so I'm admitting upfront that I'm entirely biased. My family spent part of nearly every summer here when I was a kid, and so for me it's the place all others are measured by. Most campsites are well shaded, and most have at least a partial view of the lake. All have the usual amenities: picnic table, lantern post, and fire pit w/grill no one in their right mind would use. Good hiking, with a connector to the 4 Cs Trail. In season there is a concessionaire that runs a small store and rents boats.

This is generally a peaceful, family-friendly campground. Hosts were on-site even in February, keeping order and ensuring the bathrooms are clean.

The nearby towns are very small, so you may need to go 20-ish miles to Crockett for resupply at the WM or a decent sized grocery store.

Diana