Rear Shelf for Galley Cabinet

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by PaigeJason, Feb 23, 2014.

1. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

I wanted a shelf to go across the back of the galley cabinet, but the wire plate shelves I looked at wouldn't make the turn once inside. Instead, I found the Variera shelf insert at Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80136622/). It's almost the width of the cabinet and about 5" deep. It cost about 5 bucks. The top and legs come unassembled, so I was able to assemble it in place using an offset screwdriver.

[​IMG]

It allows me to neatly store lots of small items...

[​IMG]

While leaving ample room for larger items in front...

[​IMG]

LisaNKevin likes this.
  2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Very nice!

3. Bev

Bev Novice

Thanks for passing on the shelf you found to all of us, and the pictures are a plus.

4. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

This shelf looks like a good fit. I put the link in my Bookmarks. I'm not purchasing anything to fit in the storage areas until I figure out where my stuff will reside. I will continue to use my camping bucket and figure out where I want to store stuff as I use the Galley. One of my concerns is stuff sliding around and damaging the finish. I love being organized so am looking forward to planning how to utilize the space. I know there are some measurements for the inside storage in this forum. Are there some for the galley storage?

5. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

You are smart to wait. I didn't buy anything ahead of time, but I did have some ideas for how I thought we'd organize the galley. Now that I'm getting her equipped for our first trip next month, some of my ideas were WRONG! That's the great thing about constraint, though--it forces you to come up with an even better idea!

Here are the measurements from my galley:
    --The L and R top shelves are 15" front-to-back. The L one is ~18.25" wide, and the R one is ~12.75" wide. There are corner braces at the very back of each shelf that reduce the very back width by 1".

--The R cabinet is roughly the same depth and width as the upper shelf (though there are some mechanicals in there that reduce usable space). It is 13" tall inside. The door opening is ~7.25" wide x 10" high.

--One note about the drawer: the largest utensil slot is just over 13" long; the chef's knife I'd planned on taking was a bit too long, so I wound up getting a slightly shorter santoku instead.

--The under counter bins are 15"+ deep, and ~15" front-to-back. The R one is ~13" wide, PLUS the frying pan slot. I don't have a sink, so my L one is ~33" wide, again with some mechanicals on the far left.

One idea I had for the upper shelves, to keep stuff from moving until we've got some experience and know if we want to put in permanent dividers, is to use short tension rods to keep stuff in place. I use one in my spice cabinet at home, and it works really well.

RollingRob likes this.
  6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

shelf looks cool...but you are storing the WRONG stuff in that cabinet

;)

I think it's funny how we all have desires to "optimize" yet we all end up optimizing in different ways.

-Al

7. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

lol, that's the 'wrong' stuff? what's the 'right' stuff, in your opinion? and why?

8. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

the "right stuff" is whatever my wife says it is!!

:)

We use that cabinet for some glasses/mugs, the coffee maker, plastic wrap/tinfoil (under a portable shelf)

those dishtowels go someplace else!! :)

(joking, as if it really matters)

-Al

9. RollingRob

RollingRob Junior Ranger

Thank you for your measurements years later, they have been very useful!