Receiver Hitch For 2016 Subaru Outback

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Murray, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Murray

Murray Newbie

Newbie here - I just purchased my very first tow vehicle - a new Subaru Outback 2016 2.5i (4 cylinder) that I plan to use as a tow vehicle for a 550 (or 560 if the Outback can handle it). Subaru only offers a 1 1/4in OEM receiver hitch. Does anyone have experience with the Subaru 2015/2016 OEM 1 1/4" hitch? Any issues with using the Subaru receiver hitch, or a 1 1/4 in hitch in general, to tow a teardrop ?

2. We have a 6 cylinder 2012 Subaru Ouback and don't have any problems towing our 560 ultra. Our hitch was put in after market by someone the Subaru dealer recommended. We bought our Outback used. You shouldn't have any problem. We have towed In the mountains and cross country twice.

3. jpbrew

jpbrew Novice

It's been a number of years since I looked at the Outback specs, but I believe the Outback is rated to something like 2700 pounds towing with the 4 cylinder engine. Consult your owners manual for the actual numbers. As far a the 1 1/4 inch receiver size, Subaru would have kept tow ratings in mind when designing the hitch receiver, if it is a Subaru factory hitch. Additionally, the rated tongue weight for the Outback is 270 pound. The owners manual for my 2013 560 states to keep the tongue weight between 140 and 220 pounds. Just pack the camper to correctly balance the tongue weight between 140 and 220 pounds and you should be more than safe. Again refer to you Outback owners guide for actual ratings (I got mine of the web).

I also highly recommend to get electric brakes. You should consult for regulations for the state you live in concerning electric brake requirements in relation to trailer weight. (Besides, I just think electric brakes are a good safety feature to have, but that's just me).

Overall, I think the Outback is a great choice in a tow vehicle.

4. klint74

klint74 Novice Donating Member

I have a 2015 Outback 2.5 4 cylinder, with the factory installed hitch. After 5000 miles I have had no issues, and the towing has been great. I do have electric brakes on our 550 ultra.

5. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

I know nothing about what is available for the Subaru - but I have had both 1 1/4 &. 2" hitches on vehicles. 2" is my choice if at all possible. The unit itself is much more rigid than the 1 1/4. Plus some the accessories are easier to find for 2". Capacity was never my concern when going with 2" - I was going to be pulling anywhere from 500# to 1500#.

6. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

We too have a 2015 Outback with the factory 1 1/4 inch hitch. We have towed almost 6,000 miles without a problem. Our Outback has the 2.5 engine. Subaru recommends electric brakes when towing over 1,000 pounds. I would agree with that recommendation.

7. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have towed with 2 Outbacks, a 2010 and now 2015. Both 4 cyclinder cars. The Eau Claire, Wi dealer installed a 2 inch hitch both times. Which is what I wanted because bike rack was 2 inches. The salesman suggested a 4 cylinder car for towing over the 6 cylinder.

Even though the 560 weighs a bit more, it is actually more aerodynamic towing. My suggestion is to have brakes installed on the teardrop and brake receiver in the Outback.

BTW, Cary will confirm the outback is the number 1 towing vehicle for Camp Inns.

Jean

8. mrandolph

mrandolph Newbie

I have 2016 Outback, factory installed receiver and pull a 560 Ultra....LOVE LOVE LOVE both! Easy pull for a beginner!

9. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Yes, I will confirm that an Outback is easily the most popular tow vehicle we see here. Because of our customer's experiences it is also what we recommend if someone asks. Are there vehicles with more power that will "pull the grade" better in the mountains? Of course yes. All around though it is the ideal size and a good fit, not to mention they are just good cars.

I was happy to see Mary just post here saying that the Outback is a "Easy pull for a beginner". During the order process she was about as nervous as you can get about towing the trailer once she got it, it was a concern for sure. Seeing her make a post saying that just made my day!

Cary

birder526 likes this.
  10. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We also have a 2013 Subie, w/3.6, factory 1.2 hitch...love it extra power in Mtns a plus...no issues pulling a 560 SUV package w/brakes. Self installed proportional brake controller. Did all wiring on my own with controller and 7 pin kit from etrailer took about 3 hrs. from start to finish.

11. Scottie_T

Scottie_T Newbie

We have a 2013, 4 cylinder Outback and it does pretty well for us, towing a 560 Ultra. We have to take it easy a bit on mountain passes, but it's not a problem.

I had a poor experience with the hitch installer that I chose and learned a lot the hard way. They claimed it was "hard" to find the appropriate wires to set up a 7 prong connection & brake controller. They also installed the 7 prong connector as the lowest point on the car, below the bar/frame for the hitch. I had to take it back twice to make them move the 7 prong connector to be in-line with the 2" hitch (at least some of their employees were embarrassed by the initial installation). The 7 prong electrical connection was bent/dinged a couple time on steep climbs/drops while we were waiting for the right part to come in.

I think I would have been better off with the local Subaru dealer or U-Haul than the place I took it to. Make sure you choose someone comfortable with Subaru hitch installations.

12. Jan

Jan Newbie

I have a 2015 3.6L Outback and previously a 2002 3.0L Outback, both had an aftermarket 2" hitch. It turns out that this option is less expensive than the factory installed version and (as already stated) better matches the rated towing capacity for the car.

A side note here is that on trips to Death Valley with the steep, long hills going in and out even my 3.0L would overheat. This did not happen with the 3.6L.