CA National Park Redwood and Yosemite suggestions?

Discussion in 'West' started by Mick'nSarah, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hey everyone-

As soon as the rains started setting in, I started thinking about where I wanted to go next summer (gets me through the wet season, dreaming about the flip side). I want to take the lad on a trip south, through the Redwood National Forest, down to Sacramento (to see my best friend) then possibly swinging through Yosemite, before heading back north stopping at Crater Lake, Wildlife Safari, and my parents.

My question is, do folks have favorite campsites in the Redwood National Forest or Yosemite that they would recommend (or ones to avoid!)? I saw one called Jedediah Smith State Park...has anyone stayed here?

This dreamer would love some tips!

Thanks!

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

While we have never camped in Yosemite, we did visit the park in the Spring of 2010, spending a long Memorial Day weekend. From what we saw of the campgrounds in the park, we were disappointed - very crowded, hardly any separation from one site to the next, etc. It was not at all what we have seen in any of the other NP's we've been to. We didn't see every campground in the park, so there could be nice sites somewhere. It seemed to us that the decision was made to get as many people into the area as possible. Maybe someone else's experience is different.
    An alternative may be to camp in a state park or private campground nearby. The downside to that option would be that you'd have to wait in line to get into Yosemite each day.
    But definitely go! Yosemite is one of the most spectacular places we have ever seen. And spending 4-5 days there is barely scratching the surface, 2 weeks would be great.

3. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Sarah,

Giant redwoods, you say? We've spent the last 30 years making annual camping trips to Humbolt Redwood State Part in the Avenue of the Giants. Some of the oldest and tallest trees are right there. We usually stay at the Hidden Springs Campground near Meyers Flat off Highway 101. It is a good centrally located spot for a "home base" where you can wander off in all directions. Lots of hiking through old growth forest, swimming and fishing in the Eel River, singing at Campfire and lots of nature watching. There is also camping at the Burlington Campground next to the visitor center (don't miss the weather rock). It's nice, but usually crowded and not as secluded as Hidden Springs.

We have also hiked around Prairie Creek Redwood State Park and Patrick's Point just north of Trinidad (that's a fun place, too). If you're a Star Wars fan you'll love Prairie Creek. They filmed the Ewok sequence there. Huge, six foot ferns, lush foliage and enormous trees. Just gorgeous. And, there are plenty of camping spaces, but make reservations: it's popular.

Yosemite. Camped there all my life. It's always been bare around the camp sites...they allow gleaming for firewood-go figure. Crowded, noisy, but still beautiful. Go in the off season if you can; summertime is a madhouse. Here's a hint: camp outside the main valley...heck, avoid the main valley and hike around Tuolumne Meadows on 120. That is fantastic high alpine territory, far less crowded and absolutely spectacular. Never camped up there, it's usually a walk in-walk out wilderness area. Also, if you continue east on 120, you'll come to a high pass. Stop and take a look west and you'll get a grand view of Half Dome, Liberty Cap and the whole valley. Continue down 120 and it will take you to the Eastern Sierras, June Lakes, Convict Lake, Mammoth Mountain and the Devil's Post Pile, Bodie and Mono Lake (which will be closed 2012-sorry). Camping available at all the lakes....a but primitive, be warned.

Another great spot in the Sierras is along Highway 108 east of Sonora. Stanislaus National Forrest,The Dardanelles on the Stanislaus River-fantastic. We camp at Clark's Fork where there are several campgrounds. It's first come-first served, self registration and pit toilets (yikes-bring the disinfectant spray), but the river is magnificent-and dangerous: very fast moving so don't try to swim or you'll wash up in Stockton. The fishing is great, lots of good hiking and wild horses!!! Oh, and don't miss the Donnel Overlook just east of Strawberry great photo op.

Jim and Sue

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Sarah,

Both Lena and I were born in Eureka, CA and as my earliest memories are of Northern California it is probably my favorite place on earth. We camped at Jedediah Smith in 2010 on our way to the IRG 3.0 - it's a great park. It was packed full though, we would never have gotten in, except we met a couple at the laundromat that wanted the grand tour, and then invited us to piggyback with them in their site. They didn't mind since it wasn't their site anyways. They were piggybacking with a guy they had met hiking the day before. So, we crammed three families (all strangers) into one site and had a GREAT time. You should make reservations.

I've never been to Yosemite, but I've heard it's even worse as far as needing reservations - spectacular though. I know teardroppers that camp there every year, but have to reserve 6 to 9 months in advance. Sometimes they have to move every night - they're just happy if they can get in at all.

Perhaps you can plan your trip around IRG 4.0 which will be happening this year. Now that is a trip worth making!

5. Mick'nSarah

JSL, thank you! That is fantastic. A friend suggested Crane Flat this afternoon, in Yosemite. Have you ever heard of that one, or been there? Might look into that, as she said it was outside the valley. I have to admit, I kind love Star Wars, so that would be fun to see. We have a 4-year old and have been going back and forth as to when we will finally show the movies to him. Seems like most of the kids his age have already seen it, but we are of the mind set of trying not to let him grow-up too fast...heck, he has his whole life to be an adult, why not be a kid as long as he can?! I would love to see 6 foot ferns..that is awesome! We went through the Redwoods with my parents when I was young...it was probably on one of our road trips to Anaheim (I had a grandfather who live a mile from Disneyland, so as kids we just assumed he was shacking up Mickey and Minnie!). I remember a few things, like driving through one of the trees (our old Suburban nearly didn't fit through). I remember we also stopped and went into one, walked down stairs, and there was a store or something. I have no idea if that is a real memory. Anybody heard of that?

I love road trips, and the lad is a great traveller. He is also a good hiker. I can get 3-4 miles out of him, if it isn't too challenging. It takes a while, with lots of stops to look at things, but a lot of fun. He has been a great little camper too. Hoping this stuff sticks for the rest of his life. I am the daughter of an Eagle Scout, and one of my first camping memories is my dad taking me snow camping when I was 2.5. I was convinced he stole the chocolate chip cookies my mom baked especially for me, and as we were packing up to head home, I found them right under my sleeping bag, where I had hidden them from him. Boy, I wish I slept that well these days! He was notorious for taking sugary treats and kept teasing me that he was going to eat them. Fun memories and those are the ones I love to pass along. Plus, part of these trips is purely selfish, in that I want t see some of these places too...I have never been to Yosemite and that is exciting.

Thanks for the help. Open to more!

6. Mick'nSarah

Thanks Evan. Yeah, I was starting to brain storm now, so I could start getting dates on the calendar and reservations made. I figured things would get busy, especially with all of the travelers going up the 101 (we have the same issues in Oregon...can be tough to find a place to camp in the summer on the coast). To be honest, I am thinking about doing that route though. I might cut over in Eugene so I can see my folks on both ends of the trip, plus it gives us nice place to stop before longer hauls in the car. Also, I am not sure if Mick will be joining us, so do you think these places are pretty safe and comfortable for just me and the lad? That is one other thing I need to look at.

Hmmm...IRG 4.0 could be fun. Are you guys thinking of going? Do you know when it is happening?

7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

The IRG is well worth attending. Pamplin Grove in Van Dusen County Park (Humboldt County) is a beautiful facility for groups & it is packed with teardrops all scattered amongst the giants. The date can't be announced until the first business day after New Years. Dean Hubbard, who is the one responsible for the IRG, along with his best bud, Kevin Allen, camp out at the county park office. Sometimes they are are there 3 days ahead of time in order to try to be first in line. Depending on if they are will determine whether or not they can get their first choice of dates for reserving Pamplin Grove for the IRG. They try to shoot for mid July, Thursday-Sunday. Plan to arrive EARLY. If you arrive by Wednesday, you will find all the spots amongst the trees to be filled. Overflow is in the field. Also, once the dates are announced & the website is open for registration, you need to get your registration form & $ sent off to Dean ASAP...the Grove can only hold 200 people & it always fills up very quickly.

Here is the website for the IRG. Keep checking back for updates.

IRG

Also, the website Nanny's Niche (run by Joanie, Dean's wife AKA "The Teardrop Nanny"), carries a lot of discussion & updates on the IRG.

Nanny's Niche

Craig & I attended in 2010 & would love to go again someday.

:cool:

8. Mick'nSarah

Good to know Betsy. Thanks!

9. starlight

starlight Novice

We're planning on Yosemite in late May or Early June when the waterfalls are at their peak and the mosquitos haven't decided to call in all platoons. Some folks we met in Idyllwild who go there all of the time recommended Upper Pines, so we're going to go for that one. Just need to get in line for reservations pretty soon here. Ivan has never been, so this should be a great experience. I love it there.
    Sarah, maybe you can call in and see what the rangers say about personal safety. We have never known anyone who had problems. With your lad, keep in mind that the Falls can be wicked dangerous. Maybe less so when you go in the summer. Their site has great info on the hikes. You'll have a blast!
    --Stelena

10. Mick'nSarah

I was thinking of spending a few days in Yosemite, so I was considering trying to be in the Valley for 1-2 nights and then getting out of the valley and spending a couple of nights in another area. I have been using my All-Stays app to look things up (I could hardly sleep last night...guess I need more time before lights out for my brain to clear), and was finding several areas that look good...not sure of the reality though.

We have been trying to teach laddy about Mother Nature and that she is the boss. Never take your eyes off the ocean. Never stand on the ledge of a cliff. Stay back from waterfalls (unless there is a safe path to walk behind them...we had such a nice time at Silver Falls State Park, so he got to see several of them at a safe distance, and we have seen Multnomah Falls at her height last year, which I found a little scary...the ground shook). Only go to water sources with an adult, not alone. Luckily he usually stops in his tracks when Mother Nature is showing her power. We are very careful about these things (and try to be as prepared as we can be), but always good to have the reminder.

When do the mozzies finally depart again? I know up here, at higher elevations they come out with the snow melt (in sheets, that put a quick end to one of our backpacking trips), but within a few weeks are pretty much gone (there are a few hanger-onners, but not much to worry about). I am guessing it is the same there...and we are stocked up in case we run into the bitey bugs!

Thanks for that.

11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

We stopped at Crater Lake on the way to the IRG. It was on July 12. Still quite a bit of snow & the mosquitoes were really bad. Also a good stiff wind...took extra caution as the wind was strong enough to knock you off the scenic paths & over the cliffs looking down on the lake. Also stopped at Lassen on the way home...still lots of snow & ice there, too.

No mosquitoes at all in the redwoods...very peaceful, nice & cool, perfect temps for camping.

:cool:

12. Mick'nSarah

Betsy, can't remember when you were last out here, but this year our snow finally started melting in the first part of August in the mountains. We had frosts all the way through June in the valley, and the garden was really struggling (so were the humans and animals...my chickens didn't really start laying as heavily as usual). This has been the latest winter we have seen in a long rime. They anticipate with global warming that the NW will get colder and wetter, and we are definitely seeing evidence of that. The bright side, our ski areas are looking to open next week, which we are psyched for. Down side, we had 2 weeks of what we consider summer. It got to 90, 2 days total this summer, and that was it. The lad had pneumonia and I had bronchitis in June. Usually by then, we start drying out! It was miserable! Oh well, the price we pay for living here, I suppose. Hopefully some skiing will make it all worth while too. Rain in the valley usually equals snow in the mountains (plus, they create their own weather, but we are getting a good base up there!).

Thinking back, the weekend of the canceled backpacking trip was 4th of July, so early July would present Mosquitos in our mountains. Usually later July you are doing better.

13. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

We lived in the Yosemite area for 20 years and one thing we learned was that the Valley is to be avoided due to the crowds and wall to wall RVs, the big guys. Upper Yosemite is great but in May there may still be a lot of snow on the ground. The sights in the Valley are phenomenal so I would certainly visit, camping however is another matter, 6-9 month reservations are mandatory.

One last thing, heed the signs, last year 3 people decided to ignore them and decided to take a closer look by getting into the river above the falls. The moss is very slick and they were swept away. According to my daughter who still lives in the area one of those people is still missing.

One campground that we used to enjoy was a place called Indian Grinding Rock State Park, its at a lower elevation and May would be ideal.

14. Mick'nSarah

Thanks everyone! I am taking everything into consideration. Stelena, I would love to hear about your trip, after you go. I think we will do it later inthe summer than you. Since you have a little one you ate traveling with, would live to know your favorite places, what you liked best, 'not to miss' places you came across, etc.

Thanks all!

15. starlight

starlight Novice

Will do, Sarah!
    --Stelena

16. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

I go to Yosemite every year for at least a weekend with our hang gliding club. We always camp at Bridalveil Creek campgound which is up on the Glacier Point road. The good thing about this campground is that usually with a little effort you can get in there most of the time in the summer. It is first come first served with no reservations. Just get in there in the morning reasonably early and look for a spot. If you arrive on a Monday-Thursday you should be able to get a spot even in mid-summer. It's close to Glacier Point and a few nice hikes are off that road. (Be sure to take the hike to Taft Point which is nearby.)

I know everyone gripes about the crowds in the valley, but they don't bother me. You just need a little attitude adjustment. Accept that it is a playground and enjoy the fact that you are surrounded by happy people in the most beautiful place in America. I would try to camp down there and get a spot in May before Memorial Day. Check the dates on the NPS site and call in when the phone lines open in the morning on the first day that you can reserve your date.

If you come later in the summer and camp upstairs at Bridalveil, get up early on a Saturday or Sunday and watch us launch off Glacier Point around 8:00AM.

17. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  18. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016